Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open University

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Open University

How well received is a degree earned through OU?

I fancy a degree, although not required for work, there are a few subjects I'd like to study. However, it is still 15k to achieve a degree through the OU and if people turn their nose up at it, I'd rather not. There aren't many options for part-time evening study. Although there is a course at Birbeck Uni over 4 years, that appeals.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Open University

I think that things have moved on loads in recent years and ou is as respected as many of the average unis

Don't limit yourself to ou though, many unis now have distance learning courses

Thanks to Zippeyrude

Geko (27th January 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't have any experience of recruiting but I'd say as long as the course is accredited (by a professional body) or otherwise recognised then there should be no issue.

Is there no way your employer will help, either with fees or time off? You've made the first step because I have always said to people if you want to study then the first responsibility lies with yourself. If you're prepared to put yourself out to study (as you've shown above) then you're definitely ready and any additional help is a massive bonus.

I have completed two awards (and almost finished the third). Those were HNC which was completed with the support of my employer, BEng(Hons) for which the company withdrew support (time off and fees) after one year so it was completed with great difficulty. I have almost finished an MSc and this time I have had fantastic support from the company. I have tried to put in an excellent performance so that they will not think twice about supporting other employees if they ask about further study. A distinction in all eight modules is evidence of the effort I have put in. If you can get any support from work - even something like flexible hours - then take it. You might also be able to use that flexibility to be able to enrol at a local institution and attend lectures etc. I'm sure that would be a big help. Part time course fees are also much cheaper than full time fees. For example the overseas students completing MSc with me pay about £10k a year. My fees with the alumni discount and early payment discount came to about £3.5k in total.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Incidentally what field are you looking to study?
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree.

I'm starting a new job soon and I think that part of the reason I landed it was because I showed a personal commitment to learning and a personal passion in the subject area. I wasnt able to receive funding but my current workplace provided study days which proved extremely valuable.

In short, the cost is really a solid investment - both in terms of maturing your own knowledge and of course in your marketability.

With this background, im not sure that the Uni matters as much as the fact that you took it upon yourself to learn on your own initiative.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do mate. Dont think it will be easy, juggling work and study is not a thing to underestimate.

Thanks to Zippeyrude

Geko (27th January 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I actually just looked into this, and OU. When it comes to Business studies, OU ranks quite high up. Reason for that is the triple accreditation they have for example for their MBA. I'm not sure if employers even look at such things, nor am I sure the accreditation process is beneficial or is it just the richer Universities pay a 3rd party to get an advantage.

You can view the Financial Times ranking here -> http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...a-listing-2013

But to answer your question, OU is a good choice for a learn as you earn programme. The degree I was looking at was the law degree -> http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/index.htm
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks to cronus71

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's worth looking too at the requirements for professional organisations post degree.
    For example if you were looking for say chartered status, then it's worth checking what the entry requirements are.
    Often, having the qualification isn't enough, it needs to be approved by whatever body the relevant organisation are working with.
    It's a painful process, but not as painful as a degree that's good on paper, but not deemed good enough for letters after your name.

Thanks to I Black Belt

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    I don't have any experience of recruiting but I'd say as long as the course is accredited (by a professional body) or otherwise recognised then there should be no issue.

Is there no way your employer will help, either with fees or time off? You've made the first step because I have always said to people if you want to study then the first responsibility lies with yourself. If you're prepared to put yourself out to study (as you've shown above) then you're definitely ready and any additional help is a massive bonus.

I have completed two awards (and almost finished the third). Those were HNC which was completed with the support of my employer, BEng(Hons) for which the company withdrew support (time off and fees) after one year so it was completed with great difficulty. I have almost finished an MSc and this time I have had fantastic support from the company. I have tried to put in an excellent performance so that they will not think twice about supporting other employees if they ask about further study. A distinction in all eight modules is evidence of the effort I have put in. If you can get any support from work - even something like flexible hours - then take it. You might also be able to use that flexibility to be able to enrol at a local institution and attend lectures etc. I'm sure that would be a big help. Part time course fees are also much cheaper than full time fees. For example the overseas students completing MSc with me pay about £10k a year. My fees with the alumni discount and early payment discount came to about £3.5k in total.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Incidentally what field are you looking to study?
    I don't think my work would support me in time off or towards the fees, but it is something I could explore. However I work in Engineering and the degree that interests me is in Psychology. I could tailor my hours to allow me a day off per week if a full time course just lectured on a certain day. But... People in my current role are rather overworked as it is.

The fees you have posted above seem a lot more reasonable than the 15k that the OU quoted.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In my experience at undergraduate level they arranged the timetable so that part time students had a full day on one day of the week which covered two or three core modules. This was so that students on day release could be accommodated. The university has to cater for full time student too which means they need to timetable some lectures outside of the one day, which is understandable.

You say you're interested in psychology. What is the route into employment at the end of an undergraduate degree? We have psychologists in my family, my auntie and cousin are both doctors and my other cousin finished at Oxford last year. My point being they are practising as doctors - is there an employment route with a BSc or would you be looking to carry on to PhD level? Because the field most likely doesn't have people in work trying to qualify as psychologists I do wonder if there will be any part time structure available at an institution other than the OU or by distance learning.

Thanks to beansontoast

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My missus is a HR director and I'm a line manager so we both see plenty of CVs, and both agree that the person in front of us, the attitude they present and their experience is a lot more important that their alma mater. There is even a subtle perception that if a person went to an Ivy League/Red Brick they're probably a self entitled cunt who won't be able to adapt or take instruction too well.

Anyway, I think a mid-career degree should do a lot for your employability and shows that you still have an active mind and a willingness to learn. Its also self evident why you chose OU, because a) they're a respected institute and b) they have a flexible approach to learning which is important as you're in employment and you put that first. Thats how I would read it anyway, I'm not expecting a professional mid way through their career to take 3 years out to study Psychology at Oxbridge.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

3 Thanks given to GTI

Geko (27th January 2014),  JonEp (27th January 2014),  stevo25 (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got mine through OU and it has always seemed to be highly regarded over the years !!!!!

Thanks to macmilm

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Got mine through OU and it has always seemed to be highly regarded over the years !!!!!
    Did people accept that part of your Uni experience would be getting rat arsed every night and bedding loads of 18 year old girls?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Did people accept that part of your Uni experience would be getting rat arsed every night and bedding loads of 18 year old girls?
    No they could tell immediately that I was/am completely responsible and would act maturely and maintain a professional attitude at all times !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I don't think my work would support me in time off or towards the fees, but it is something I could explore. However I work in Engineering and the degree that interests me is in Psychology. I could tailor my hours to allow me a day off per week if a full time course just lectured on a certain day. But... People in my current role are rather overworked as it is.

The fees you have posted above seem a lot more reasonable than the 15k that the OU quoted.
    My masters was distance learning, over 3 years and cost me about £4500. So might be worth shopping around as there are many Unis that offer distance courses?

Thanks to Zippeyrude

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    You say you're interested in psychology. What is the route into employment at the end of an undergraduate degree? We have psychologists in my family, my auntie and cousin are both doctors and my other cousin finished at Oxford last year. My point being they are practising as doctors - is there an employment route with a BSc or would you be looking to carry on to PhD level? Because the field most likely doesn't have people in work trying to qualify as psychologists I do wonder if there will be any part time structure available at an institution other than the OU or by distance learning.
    I am not worried about using the degree to find work. I just have an interest in learning about it. I am therefore not sure on the employment route.

I am happy in my current job and the pay is more than reasonable. I currently work in Project Management, currently working with the project team building T2 at Heathrow Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I will be missing out on this if I do the OU course.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    My masters was distance learning, over 3 years and cost me about £4500. So might be worth shopping around as there are many Unis that offer distance courses?
    My masters cost roughly that from memory and was with the OU so I don't get the 15k price....
    Mine was about 8 years back but come on , that is some inflation !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

My masters cost roughly that from memory and was with the OU so I don't get the 15k price....
    Me either...! It's mental...!

Fee
    2013/14:
    At today's prices, the fee for the whole degree is £15,372.(Our standard fee is £5124 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year’s full-time study at a campus-based university. Most OU students will study part-time at 60 credits a year.)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Whatever you choose good luck to you mate what you've decided to do is very admirable. From experience I know it will give you a great deal of self-esteem and it's really empowering.

Thanks to beansontoast

Geko (27th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You have a masters................Buhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks
    Karma Level

A 4 year part-time evening course - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2014/unde...es/UBSPSYCH_C/

Thanks
    Karma Level

what's funny about a Masters?

I'm doing a BSc(Hons) with the OU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast