Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Marius giraffe death 'saddens' South Yorkshire zoo

They had offers to re-home the giraffe but still they killed it. I am constantly disgusted at the way some humans feel they have the right to take the life of other animals without reason. If I lived near any of the people who made the decision I would take it upon myself to make their lives a misery. (">

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-26108366

Yorkshire Wildlife Park (YWP), near Doncaster, had offered to rehome Marius, but said its bid was rejected. YWP was among several zoos which put in last-ditch offers to take the giraffe. A park spokesman said: "Yorkshire Wildlife Park is saddened to hear reports from Copenhagen that 18-month-old giraffe Marius has been euthanized."

He said the park had contacted Copenhagen Zoo when news of the giraffe's plight was revealed. YWP has a state of the art giraffe house, built in 2012, with a bachelor herd of four male giraffes and the capacity to take an extra male, subject to the agreement of the European stud book keeper," he added."One of the YWP giraffes is Palle, who came from Copenhagen Zoo in September 2012, when he was the same age as Marius."The park said without knowing the full details it would be inappropriate to comment further.
    Marius was due to be killed by a bolt gun, not a lethal injection, which would contaminate the meat.The carcass will partly be used for research and partly to feed carnivores at the zoo.

Bengt Holst, scientific director at the Danish zoo, said all zoos had been considered and there was no suitable place.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Marius giraffe death 'saddens' South Yorkshire zoo

I just saw this on channel 4 news and it's disgusting, the zoo's science director claimed it was similar to shooting vermin.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is a Giraffe more important than a cow or a pig?

We (the human race) quite happily turn a blind eye to lives that livestock lead. Convincing ourselves that they are happy and killed without pain, so that we feel less guilt when eating that porkchop. I think the future evolution of the human race will no longer eat meat, if we don't destroy our own planet before we get there. We are a plague to this planet and all who encounter us.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fucking grim those Danes it was shot in front of a crowd which included kids, and then chopped up and fed to the lions

(AFP) – 4 hours ago
    Copenhagen — A Danish zoo sparked outrage Sunday when it put down a healthy young giraffe to prevent inbreeding as young children looked on, before chopping it up and feeding it to lions.
    The fate of 18-month-old Marius shocked animal lovers around the world, with thousands signing an online petition to save him and a billionaire offering to buy him and keep him in his Beverly Hills garden.
    However last-ditch efforts to spare Marius were to no avail and he was put down with a bolt gun early on Sunday, zoo spokesman Tobias Stenbaek Bro confirmed.
    A crowd of visitors, including small children, looked on as the giraffe was put down. Some grimaced while others took photos as he was autopsied and chopped up.
    A full-maned lion later tucked into the giraffe's remains, fed to carnivores at the zoo.
    "It was put down at 9:20. It went as planned. It's always the people's right to protest. But of course we have been surprised," Stenbaek Bro told AFP.
    The zoo said it had no choice other than to prevent the animal attaining adulthood.
    Under European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) rules, in-breeding between giraffes is to be avoided.
    Although Marius is healthy, his genes are already well represented at the zoo and he cannot be taken in by the 300 other EAZA-affiliated zoos.
    Castration is considered cruel with "undesirable effects", while releasing him in the wild is thought unlikely to succeed.
    The giraffe's impending death sparked outrage online, with more than 5,000 people signing a "Save Marius" Facebook petition. More than 3,000 people signed a similar Danish-language online petition and nearly 24,000 an English-language version.
    There were reportedly several attempts made to save Marius.
    A Swedish zoo, which is not part of the EAZA network, tried in vain to get Marius transferred, the Expressen daily reported.
    And another daily, Denmark's Ekstrabladet, quoted a Danish promoter living in Los Angeles, Claus Hjelmbak, as saying he had found a buyer for the animal.
    "One of my close friends, a billionaire, said that he wanted to transfer a few million so we could save the giraffe," Hjelmbak was quoted as saying.
    "He could easily have lived in his garden in Beverly Hills, but the zoo director was not interested in a sale. I'm angry," the promoter added.
    The zoo had made clear from the beginning of the protest that its policy was not to sell the animals.

Source
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

^^

Fucking hell...! That's some twisted shit.

Although I do like a good episode of "Inside Nature's Giants". Just not as close as those in the photo.

Edit - I notice they cropped out the head.

Personally... I would be boycotting that Zoo. Although.. I probably would already have been avoiding it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Giraffes are often referred to as 'Anchi Oplop Achooay' in Swahili, which translates loosely as 'The long necked demon in patchwork'. They are abhorred by many African tribes because it is folklore that Giraffes are the product of unnatural cross breeding of species by 'Uchi Ju Chu', the lord of the underworld in Zulu culture. They believe the Giraffe is the product of a leopard being crossed with a camel and that not only would it's breath kill babies but it also stole the soul of the Makiki Tree, which is sacred to the Zulus.

So, maybe the Giraffe wasn't so innocent after all?

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Bald Bouncer (9th February 2014),  GTI (9th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Edit - I notice they cropped out the head.
    Just for you mate

NSFW - Graphic Scenes
    Spoiler:
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Geko (9th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My favourite part is when they all laugh at the noise made whilst cutting through the rib cage. Just another fun day for the kids at the zoo.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was there last Sept and thought it was one of the better zoos I've ever been to - this is sickening though no need for it at all

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Is a Giraffe more important than a cow or a pig?
    Dunno, but I don't eat Giraffe...

Thanks
    Karma Level

After watching that video, I really want a giraffe burger....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Longleat decided to have lion cull over the "winter period" too, because they were fighting, what like they do in the wild ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aff-tears.html

sad, that's why i don't like zoos. With the internet we can see all the animals we need to see, with more information about said creature than you can find at a zoo, if you really feel you need to see that animal in the wild, go and try to find them in the wild.

In the zoo some of the animals are behind a screen anyway so the only difference between your pc screen and the zoo is the smell.

Ted
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Dunno, but I don't eat Giraffe...
    So?