Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Pirated Sky TV. but I thought it was so secure it was impossible?!

I know his is not a direct break of sky. But I thought sky was the most secure and uncrackable system?

Source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26052012

Pirated Sky TV sold for £10 a month

By Guy Lynn and Ed DaveyBBC News, London

Inside Out goes undercover to expose the criminals touting illegal pay-for-view TV packages at knock-down prices.
    Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

Criminal gangs are selling hacked pay television services at a fraction of their true cost, a BBC investigation has revealed.
    Subscribers to satellite or cable TV can pay more than £80 a month to legitimately receive premium packages.
    But fraudsters were caught on camera selling set-top boxes which access equivalent packages for £10 per month.
    In light of the findings, experts warned hacked satellite and cable TV is increasing and becoming the "new norm".
    Continue reading the main story
    One of the fraudsters exposed by the BBC London/Inside Out investigation was Gyula Markovits, a Venezuelan satellite dish installer living in south London. He sold hacked boxes that receive every conceivable channel for less than an eighth of the normal monthly price.
    While installing a hacked system, Mr Markovits was secretly recorded saying: "Yes, of course it's illegal - you're getting something for free that you should be paying for.
    "They never go after the customers anyway, they go after the guy that runs the network.
    "You can buy the box and it shows you all the Sky channels for one year - I do it myself. That's a very underground thing, really."
    Continue reading the main story“Start Quote

So many people are doing it, it is becoming the norm”
    Dr Luke McDonaghCopyright law expert

He boasted that he had 150 customers, generating him almost £20,000 a year in illicit income. Mr Markovits subsequently denied all wrongdoing.
    Shop 'closed'Another fraudster, who called himself Ahmed, sold BBC researchers numerous fraudulent packages from satellite TV shop Golsat in Upton Park, east London.
    He said of the £150 access to all Sky movies and sport: "This is nothing for what you [are] going to watch, seriously."
    Within days of being confronted with the BBC's evidence, Golsat appeared to shut down.
    A poster on the door said it had "closed for refurbishment". Ahmed did not respond to a request for a comment.
    Under the Copyright Act, those convicted of supplying the equipment could face a 10-year jail sentence and unlimited fine.
    Sky, BT and Virgin have all refused to reveal how many cases of hacked TV they encounter a year.
    But the BBC heard of dozens of examples of the fraud spread right across the UK, both tip-offs and cases currently going through the courts.
    It is a nationwide problem, with Swansea and Cardiff highlighted as hotspots for pubs using cracked boxes to stream Premier League football.
    Gang rumoursKeith Cottenden, forensic services director at consultants Cy4or, said there were some areas in the UK where those hacking satellite TV outnumber viewers paying for it legitimately.
    He said: "Some of the stats don't make good reading for the providers.
    "In some areas, there are not as many subscribers as there are others.

During the investigation, the BBC accompanied City of London Police's Intellectual Property Crime Unit raiding an individual in Liverpool suspected of being the ringleader of a gang supplying the boxes to customers around the country."Within the urban areas, it's widespread - most cities have a wide network of people doing this."

Documentation was seized and officers continue to investigate.
    The BBC heard reports from the police of numerous gangs. Managers at Golsat and Mr Markovits were recorded saying that they were part of a wider gang, implementing, managing, selling and marketing the devices that perpetuated the fraud.
    Dr Luke McDonagh, an expert in copyright law at Cardiff University, said: "The problem is there, it's getting more widespread and the big broadcasters are trying to cut down on it by targeting the criminal enterprises that are running these pirated systems.
    The hacked set-top boxes stream encryption codes from the internet
    "But it's very difficult to crack down on the use of cracked decoders by consumers - so many people are doing it, it is becoming the norm.
    "If it continues then we may see the broadcasters having to change their model like the music industry has with things like Spotify - it could become that wide-scale."
    The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) said the illegal pirating of paid-for television was not a victimless crime.
    Fact spokesman Eddy Leviten said: "Is it fair that someone will be able to steal from someone else and that person will not be not paid for their work?
    "That impacts not just on that one single person but on their families as well, all those who rely on that income."
    One of the individuals exposed has now been referred to trading standards.
    A spokesman for Newham council said that as a result of the BBC's investigation the authority had referred Mr Markovits and his business to its trading standards team.
    Between them Sky, Virgin and BT have 17.5m legitimate pay-TV customers.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Pirated Sky TV. but I thought it was so secure it was impossible?!

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...te-now-though)

I can see you have even read that thread already Are you posting this one as a place for the OT 'discussion' to take place?

Thanks to evilsatan

nonecks (13th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...te-now-though)

I can see you have even read that thread already Are you posting this one as a place for the OT 'discussion' to take place?
    No, I am posting this one as I totally forgot about that previous and more subscribed thread!

I clearly cant do late nights and early mornings any more!

Q

3 Thanks given to QfanatiQ

Bald Bouncer (13th February 2014),  evilsatan (13th February 2014),  Mobileman (13th February 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pirated Sky? Why didn't someone mention it. Slacking here DF. Tut tut.

Thanks to DejaVu

Detector (14th February 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol I can hear you mother.

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Pirated Sky? Why didn't someone mention it. Slacking here DF. Tut tut.

Thanks to Realist

DejaVu (13th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am still waiting for the end so I can pick up a cheap VU DUO.

Hurry up, Murdock...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post
    I know his is not a direct break of sky. But I thought sky was the most secure and uncrackable system?

Source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26052012

Pirated Sky TV sold for £10 a month

thats what sky/nds would like you to believe. in truth nds cards of the past have been anything but secure.
    before the onset of sky digital every nds issue smartcard was dumped and fully hacked and emulated.
    since there have been 3/4 generations of card depending where you reside in the world. ALL have been defeated and the first 3 where dumped.

Thanks to sk.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well heres a snippet of good info for anyone thats interested:

the original yellow sky card was glitchable upto serial number starting 50. after that and since the card wouldnt clock and voltage glitch via usual loaders and software.

the yellow card had a Class byte of 48. then we got a reissue all getting the dark blue card which is sometimes referred to as the D1 card. the reasons for this is they changed the Class byte from 48 to D1 but with a small difference.
    D0/D1 clear responses D2 signature signed responses D3 encrypted responses

now we have the white card. hmmm i wonder what Class byte we have now. something similar i guess

Thanks to sk.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

this is news to me?
    A wise man once said " "