Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Need 2x Freeview Aerials

2 family members are swapping from Sky/Virgin to Freeview and have asked me (being the 'techie' of the fam) to investigate and I am clueless!

I've read up on Freeview.co.uk about Yagi, Wide Band, Grid, CIA Benched... blah blah blah.

I just wanna install 2 very decent aerials in 2 locations. Both seem to have average coverage, but they want to make sure they are future proofed and able to receive the best reception possible. IE HD Channels etc.
    I would suggest an aeriel installer, but the last couple I've used were useless and I had to adjust the aeriel after they left to improve the reception!

So, with all that in mind, looking around in all sorts of places, I've come up with this -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271381903188

I'm not an expert, but this sounds like a decent one for the job. Anyone got experience in this field and can help me buying the correct aeriel.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 15th April 2014 at 06:24 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need 2x Freeview Aerials

As far as signal strength goes that should be fine.

Where do you intend to mount it?
    If wall mounting with the wall behind the aerial it will have to be bolted as high as possible on the wall with enough upright to clear the edge of the roof because unlike smaller aerials the mounting is in the middle not on the back end so the back end sticks out behind the mounting. If mounting on a wall with the wall to one side you will still need to come out far enough for the back reflector to clear the wall.

Not sure if the upright I have marked in this image is included or just for illustration. Quite often it isn't and the only bracket included is the L shaped tube which in this case isn't very long. Just fitted a similar one on my gf's house and luckily I could fix it with the wall to the side instead of where the old one was with the wall behind because the L shaped tube wasn't long enough to clear the roof edge. (">

Last edited by BigBird; 15th April 2014 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm assuming you've got something by now? if not I'd recommend getting a Log-Periodic.

These are flatter than the Yagi suggested above, and I've found (installed loads of these) the signal is usually better in marginal areas. Due to the smaller size they are less noticeable and put less of a strain on the mounting hardware.

Fairly cheap too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAC-AE0968-L...eriodic+aerial

other wibsite showing how good they are http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials....PeriodicTheory

Oh, and as for the one you quoted, SLX are VERY fragile, expect to bend a few reflectors during installation if you're not careful. Also the mounting hardware supplied is only suitable for a loft! please don';t use that outside, trust me, it will fall off.

If mounting outside, get a small T&K and suitable steel pole. might seem like overkill but it will last a hell of a lot longer. And very unlikely for weather to rip down a correctly installed T&K (not happened to any of mine.....yet!) http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/T%26K_bracket.htm
    Last edited by connormill; 19th May 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks to connormill

BigBird (19th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by connormill View Post
    I'm assuming you've got something by now? if not I'd recommend getting a Log-Periodic.

These are flatter than the Yagi suggested above, and I've found (installed loads of these) the signal is usually better in marginal areas. Due to the smaller size they are less noticeable and put less of a strain on the mounting hardware.

Fairly cheap too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAC-AE0968-L...eriodic+aerial

Oh, and as for the one you quoted, SLX are VERY fragile, expect to bend a few reflectors during installation if you're not careful. Also the mounting hardware supplied is only suitable for a loft! please don';t use that outside, trust me, it will fall off.
    You make a good point. One of the elements on my girlfriend's aerial has already fallen off as they are only clipped on and a large bird/wind could have disturbed it. The one you linked to is almost bomb proof and if mounted correctly should last for many years without problems. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Log periodic is a great aerial, in my opinion. Very flat gain over all the band, ie no peaks like a grouped aerial. It has a narrow acceptance angle ie more directional. Robust and low "windage" some have f type connectors so a good electrical connection. Fraccaro do the LP45 which i sold 10yrs + ago and had very good experience with it. Most x style multi element are fragile because of the plastic that holds the elements, look at the triax UNIX range. They perfom well but the blue plastic wasnt too UV stable. That aerial will have lots of gain, do you need it? The cable may be shite, get your own ideally copper foil and copper braid, with foam or air spaced dialectric. Any more questions just ask. How did i miss this thread

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm an aerial installer and have been using these for about a year now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-DIGIT...item256e59fe99

Fantastic bit of kit, small light weight and can be mounted under the fascia boards or roof mounted.

They have a built in masthead so if the tv has an amplifier built in (most of the new ones do) It will kick out more signal.

You can also get a little power unit as well if the tv doesn't have a amp in it.

Don't be fooled by size, since the switchover, they've upped the power on the transmitters so bigger isnt always better.

The ebay link has the the actual company that makes them so it would be worth speaking to him direct as he wold do you a deal on a kit if needed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
    Log periodic is a great aerial, in my opinion. Very flat gain over all the band, ie no peaks like a grouped aerial. It has a narrow acceptance angle ie more directional. Robust and low "windage" some have f type connectors so a good electrical connection. Fraccaro do the LP45 which i sold 10yrs + ago and had very good experience with it. Most x style multi element are fragile because of the plastic that holds the elements, look at the triax UNIX range. They perfom well but the blue plastic wasnt too UV stable. That aerial will have lots of gain, do you need it? The cable may be shite, get your own ideally copper foil and copper braid, with foam or air spaced dialectric. Any more questions just ask. How did i miss this thread
    Totally agree, I used to use grouped UNIX 52's on every job, couldn't get one once and tried a log - never switched back!

And you're right, being able to F-screw straight on and then wrap with some amalgamating tape is a huge bonus.

As for cable, I always use Satellite grade cable (WF100 copper braid, copper foil, foam dialectric) and waterproof compression F's. the extra few quid spent on high quality cable, connectors, masts etc makes a HUGE difference in how well the system will last in the long term