Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention E-Cigarette Facing FDA Regulations?

E-Cigarette Facing FDA Regulations?

Added by Brian Yates on February 21, 2014.
    Saved under Brian Yates, Health
    Tags: e cigarette

The FDA wants to regulate the e-cigarette industry. A 2009 law granted authority to the agency to regulate cigarettes, smokeless tobacco and self-rolled tobacco. The law also granted the FDA power to regulate other tobacco products within its jurisdiction. Now the agency wants to expend those regulations to the e-cigarette industry. The FDA has submitted its regulation proposals to the White House Office of Management and Budget for approval.
    Government jurisdiction would require e-cigarette companies to register with the FDA, pay fees, list product ingredients, obtain approval for new products, and restrict sales to minors both in brick and mortar establishments and the internet. Members of the White House’s Office of Management and Budget will review the impact of the regulation and make recommendations.
    E-cigarettes were introduced to the U.S. market in 2007. They have a battery charge that heats a coil. The heated coil turns a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin that are known as e-liquid or juice into a vapor cloud. No ash is produced.

Since the introduction of e-cigarettes, smoking rates among adults have fallen from 43 percent in 1965 to 18 percent. People using e-cigarettes find them less expensive than tobacco products and have help some quit smoking all together. Others prefer the product for recreational purposes.
    Non-smokers confuse the vapor of e-cigarettes for smoke and insist that second hand nicotine vapor is no better than second hand smoke. Youths preferred the numerous flavors such as strawberry or peach. Between 2011 and 2012, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the use of e-cigarettes among children had doubled. Since the product do not contain tobacco, they are not regulated by the FDA and subject to tobacco laws requiring proof of age.

Manufacturers such as Lorillard Inc, NJOY, and LOGIC Technology control 80 percent of the $1.5 billion industry and have requested exemptions. They claim FDA oversight would stifle innovations, hinder small business, and prevent smokers from curtailing their current intake of tobacco products.
    Bryan Haynes, a lawyer and lobbyist for the Electronic Cigarette Industry Group, contends that since e-cigarettes lack tobacco and only deliver nicotine in a vapor form, FDA regulations would hamper further development. Currently, there are close to 4,000 applications for new or modified tobacco products awaiting FDA approval. The turnaround time for approval or denial can take years.
    E-cigarettes are sold in a variety of locations from grocery stores to Walmart. The owners of NJOY and LOGIC Technology oppose TV advertising and public sponsorship of third parties. Both companies support age verification to prevent sales to minors. As an added precaution, LOGIC Technology only sells their brand in either tobacco or menthol flavors.
    Restricting internet sales would hinder companies that have striven to create an online presence with their customers. According to Cynthia Cabrea of the Smoke Free Alternatives Trade Association, close to a quarter of e-cigarette sales derive from the internet.
    Once the Obama Administration announces its proposed ruling, there will be a period for public comment. The White House is expected to approve the recommendations granting the FDA the regulation it wants over the e-cigarette industry.

By Brian T. Yates

Reuters
    Bloomberg Businessweek
    Discovery Fit & Health
    Tampa Bay Times

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/e-ciga...a-regulations/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: E-Cigarette Facing FDA Regulations?

Let's see what happens in the USA then watch Europe parrot it.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is a very good thing in my opinion, the FDA and indeed all regulatory health authorities worldwide are charged with protecting public health. The only people worried by this are the numerous fly by nights who are opening up on a daily basis, selling substandard Chinese crap that could be killing people. The quality of the atomisers, the presence of leachables in the plastics and of course the composition of the e-liquids are all critical since people are taking the vapours deep down into their lungs.

Who knows how much damage is being done whilst we continue in this grey zone.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Mobileman (23rd February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whilst I do agree there needs to be some standards brought in I feel the measures brought in will be to draconian. It won't be on health findings or fears it will be purely tax revenue, which is why regulation on these does cause so much concern.
    The government and the tobacco powerhouses are not going to allow them to be just brought up to a standard without being able to add their cut.

Thanks to purpleanimal23

4me2 (23rd February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    This is a very good thing in my opinion, the FDA and indeed all regulatory health authorities worldwide are charged with protecting public health. The only people worried by this are the numerous fly by nights who are opening up on a daily basis, selling substandard Chinese crap that could be killing people. The quality of the atomisers, the presence of leachables in the plastics and of course the composition of the e-liquids are all critical since people are taking the vapours deep down into their lungs.

Who knows how much damage is being done whilst we continue in this grey zone.
    Good points but I doubt that they are the genuine reasons behind this.

I think it's all about control of money/markets and tax revenues. I have to ask myself why large Tobacco concerns are now bringing out their own e-cigs.

I really think there is no case to answer when it comes to regulating (taxing) E-cigs of the vape type . Maybe the electrics side ie the batteries and the chargers that they conform to a standard but fuck all else.
    The juices and mixes, well that could be another thing, everyone should be able to see what chemicals are in them and then make their choices.

Tax the harmful chemical juices by all means but don't blanket high tax all forms of e-cigs. Especially not when it is pretty clear that they are a fucking sight safer than smoking.
    Also they needn't try to convince me that they actually care about my health or anyone else's for that matter.

It's not about NHS cost's, otherwise they wouldn't be so fucking hell bent on privatising it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Let's see what happens in the USA then watch Europe parrot it.
    I'm hoping this is the case with marijuana, but doubt it.
    It gets looked at again next year in the UK.

Thanks to rIKmAN

4me2 (23rd February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rIKmAN View Post
    I'm hoping this is the case with marijuana, but doubt it.
    It gets looked at again next year in the UK.
    Would nice then maybe the police could put our taxes to better use.
    I can't see it happening though as they reclassed from C to B again a couple of years ago.