Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Does anyone have a dash cam in thier car ?

She cut up a car at the first roundabout mate - see the first car pull to the left to miss her at the exit and then she changed from the left lane to the middle on the second roundabout and nearly took my front end off before deciding she wanted to go right then changing her mind and going back to the left lane?

And it's not exactly cutting her up mate as she sat at 50mph as you can see me accelerating away so there's a lot of distance plus I had another car up my arse who'd almost crashed into the back of me as she cut me up!

It's usually lorries trying to cut the corner causing accidents on that roundabout.

If you drive like this normally and see nothing wrong when was the last time you had an accident?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't drive like it, I am always aware that idiots do.
    Had my fair share of Road Rage over the years but what can you do?

What annoys me is that you pass your test and that is that. There are no refresher courses later in life unless you do something stupid.
    FFS you have to renew your passport every 10 years or so, with your license you could pass 30 years previous and not get behind a wheel for the 30 years. Any new road signs/laws are communicated on the news rather than to you direct.

So back to your camera. If you had hit her (presumably) and you sent that video to your insurance company then all it would have shown is that you were probably most likely at fault because you could see her and you hit her. You have to be hit for it not to be your fault. She clearly did not know where she was going so the best thing is to stay clear.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Totally agree on the license thing mate, I do 40k miles a year and see some crazy stuff.

I wouldn't agree with it being my fault mate in that scenario but can see what you mean about a rear ender as insurance companies do usually go that way, but it's why I bought this. It's a quick roundabout as you can see from some of the other cars so the last thing you expect after looking right to make sure it's clear is someone changing lines without indicating in front of you. What you don't hear in the video is the car horn and me calling her a stupid cunt!

I do wonder how long it will be before we're all driving cars with black boxes recording all footage and g forces etc as standard. I think BMW announced they're doing once recently.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is the only way it can go to be honest. It will also be the case that cameras will be standard in cars at some point, it would be stupid not to enforce it.
    They did it with rear fog lights even though we only get a handful of Fog situations a year at most. When was the last time you put yours on? I put mine on for the first time in about 6 years two weeks ago. I dare say they will not see any action for another 6 years.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So what's the current dashcam recommendation? The GT680W seems to be a good price - worth it? Would a 16Gb card be enough?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm running two of those GT680Ws now mate and they're rock solid.

I'm just testing a G90 but it needs firmware to improve it yet.

If you're not bothered about GPS then check out a new one called the A118 from FoxOffer - optional GPS is on the way but the internals are the same as the GT680W but with a much better form factor (ie it sticks straight up to the screen).

If you've got the cash the Powerucc Panorama 2 is excellent, but it's due to be replaced within six months.

The VicoVation Marcus 4 is due in a month or two and has awesome video quality!

Thanks to reverend

ZX7R (17th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Size wise I run 64GB cards but mainly because I do a lot of driving so wanted to be able to get to the end of a journey and get footage if I needed it. It's worth keeping a backup card in your car just in case anything goes wrong - you'll get about 1.5-2 hours on a 16GB card off the top of my head

Thanks to reverend

ZX7R (17th June 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info. I'm liking what I've read about the A118...compact too. Is GPS essential? I suppose i could stretch to the GT680W with the GPS module but that is slightly bigger.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can I ask why you guys are recording hours of footage? Surely you just want the few minutes around an incident?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Can I ask why you guys are recording hours of footage? Surely you just want the few minutes around an incident?
    All dash cams record in 1-3-5 and sometimes slightly longer segments. It does this until the card is full, then it re writes itself.

Some cameras, detect impact via the G Sensor and then move that video recording to a secure part of the memory card to prevent it being recorded over.

Don't forget, Blacksheep that these cameras are not just good for crashes in your own vehicles they can be used as witness evidence for other incidents. My friend has recently provided some footage from his camera for a disputed liability roundabout case. He was able to request fees for his time and services, at a rate of £250. The insurance company wanted to know if the footage was conclusive to which he confirmed it was, and they then paid £250.

He was able to cover the cost of his dash camera and his time, and the insurance company were able to prove liability and save court costs and time all round.

Ask yourself, why you WOULDN'T want it recording constantly?
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just go with the bigger cards as a safety thing - if the camera has marked off too much footage you may find it's not recording a great deal so larger cards are just more of an insurance policy to guarantee you've got the footage you want especially if you're on a long drive.GPS isn't essential - it can be a hindrance as it would show when you're slightly over the limit and if something has happened and you're in court it just gives the other side something to argue about. Have to admit I'm trying to find a way of turning it off on the video stamp.Also don't use the cheapest MicroSD cards you can get your hands on - a lot are fake and not the capacity they say they are on places like eBay. I've got to admit I'm tempted to try out the A118 myself - I've just had a Nextbase 402G turn up which I'm going to have a play with for a couple of days and see what that's like.

2 Thanks given to reverend

BigBrand (18th June 2014),  ZX7R (19th June 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    All dash cams record in 1-3-5 and sometimes slightly longer segments. It does this until the card is full, then it re writes itself.

Some cameras, detect impact via the G Sensor and then move that video recording to a secure part of the memory card to prevent it being recorded over.

Don't forget, Blacksheep that these cameras are not just good for crashes in your own vehicles they can be used as witness evidence for other incidents. My friend has recently provided some footage from his camera for a disputed liability roundabout case. He was able to request fees for his time and services, at a rate of £250. The insurance company wanted to know if the footage was conclusive to which he confirmed it was, and they then paid £250.

He was able to cover the cost of his dash camera and his time, and the insurance company were able to prove liability and save court costs and time all round.

Ask yourself, why you WOULDN'T want it recording constantly?
    Thats something I hadn't thought of, I will be hunting for accidents to record now just waiting for my faulty power magic pro to be replaced and my install will finally be complete.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBrand (18th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Last week I got a lift to Coventry - first time I've had a lift in months and sure enough a lorry hit a car next to us, spun it 90 degrees and was pushing it down the M42. Pretty mental stuff and if I'd have been in my car could have done exactly that and provided the video to show who was at fault - scary stuff though!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently bought a 2014 G1W from China.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12...th-buying.html

I used to have a cheap G1000 and this is a big step up from that. Clear images in the day, night is a bit glarey with the headlights but overall I'm happy.
    It only cost £35 so I'm happy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I recently bought a 2014 G1W from China.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12...th-buying.html

I used to have a cheap G1000 and this is a big step up from that. Clear images in the day, night is a bit glarey with the headlights but overall I'm happy.
    It only cost £35 so I'm happy.

So, are you happy?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Great information, thanks. I have ordered the A118 and may get another for the rear of the van.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    So, are you happy?
    Lol, just reread it. Again for the record...I'm happy.

I'll get some footage up soon but I'm with no broadband for the next month and thethering off my mobile so may take a while to upload.

Thanks
    Karma Level

E-Prance the manufacturer are selling the G1W through amazon UK for £32 with free delivery http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Nov...ref=pd_cp_ce_0 be interesting to see how it compares to the others mentioned in this thread. How long will it record for just off the battery?

Thanks to hoponbaby

beansontoast (2nd July 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    E-Prance the manufacturer are selling the G1W through amazon UK for £32 with free delivery http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Nov...ref=pd_cp_ce_0 be interesting to see how it compares to the others mentioned in this thread. How long will it record for just off the battery?

Ignore the date, it's wrong lol. Youtube seems to have taken some of the quality out of the video. The original vid is a bit sharper than that. No idea about recording off battery, mine is fixed in the car.
    Last edited by beerman; 19th June 2014 at 02:03 PM.

2 Thanks given to beerman

BigBrand (20th June 2014),  hoponbaby (20th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't get me wrong I'd have a largish card in so it could record a good chunk before/after an accident or maybe if there was a save feature if you were a witness but I think hours n hours worth is a little overkill no?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast