Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Does anyone have a dash cam in thier car ?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'd have a largish card in so it could record a good chunk before/after an accident or maybe if there was a save feature if you were a witness but I think hours n hours worth is a little overkill no?
    Mine records when the car is parked through use of a motion sensor and G sensor. If I leave my car for a few days I would like all footage just in case. It's down to preference, I have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme in mine to allow best write speeds as mine records up to 30Mbps.

Thanks to evilsatan

blacksheep (20th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mini 0803 - Probably The Best Mini Dashcam with a Screen

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Mini 0805 is next mate - Ambarella A7 like the 0803 but uses an OmniVision OV4689 instead of the Aptina 0330 sensor - I'm just testing a new device called the G90 now using both of those and basically it should be better again at day and at night!

They're releasing these cameras quicker than they can sort the firmwares on them at the moment!

Thanks to reverend

biggy7 (21st June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Mine records when the car is parked through use of a motion sensor and G sensor. If I leave my car for a few days I would like all footage just in case. It's down to preference, I have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme in mine to allow best write speeds as mine records up to 30Mbps.
    Makes sense. Thx.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't get me wrong I'd have a largish card in so it could record a good chunk before/after an accident or maybe if there was a save feature if you were a witness but I think hours n hours worth is a little overkill no?
    What would you like to see instead of continuous recording broken into segments?
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was saying to myself I needed one of these with all the crap driving I see and then the week before last someone set off at a roundabout and then slammed their brakes on to cause what I now know is called an "induced accident". If I'd had a camera in my car it would have saved me a great deal of hassle and also there would have had to be some sort of investigation into the other driver. The result of my crash is that my nice car will be written off tomorrow and three perfectly fine bastards will get a lot of injury compensation.

Don't want to digress too much it's just that for under £100 I should have fitted a camera years ago.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    What would you like to see instead of continuous recording broken into segments?

I'd just like the relevant segment leading up to the incident +1min before say. Makes it easier than scanning through multiple hours of video.

this is what my home pvr system does (then uploads to Dropbox and emails me photos)

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's not worth keeping it that tight mate - the sensors can trip when you hit a pot hole, so if you've only got a couple of minutes of footage of you driving down a dodgy road and then you have an accident the next day you've got nothing of interest.

For the sake of 20 quid just get a memory card to cover your arse

On the plus side if you get one that does GPS data then you can just pull the footage back on a map and drill down to the area you're interested in and you see just that part of video - much easier than the non GPS devices where you do have to seek through the clips looking for the bit of interest.

Thanks to reverend

BigBrand (23rd June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd just like the relevant segment leading up to the incident +1min before say. Makes it easier than scanning through multiple hours of video.

this is what my home pvr system does (then uploads to Dropbox and emails me photos)
    I still can't buy this I'm afraid. I don't think for the sake of opening up an SD card and looking at a file that says 22/06/2014-07:55 or similar is an arduous task. I literally see no different whether it records for 40 minutes pre or post collision.

As I say in some cases the Camera will save the crash video in a separate part of the Memory Card, so you don't even have to look at a list of 20+ video files, albeit in time and date order.

I think you're comparing these too much to your home PVR, you have to remember this is a £50 camera plugged into your 12v, it's not a magic box.

Do you actually have a dashcam?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine records in segments and then when opened with the software it comes with it lists all the segments and marks them as normal mode, event mode and parking mode. This way you just filter and review the events, events are stored permanently whereas normal/parking will be overwritten when the space is needed.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    E-Prance the manufacturer are selling the G1W through amazon UK for £32 with free delivery http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Nov...ref=pd_cp_ce_0 be interesting to see how it compares to the others mentioned in this thread. How long will it record for just off the battery?
    I ordered this today, figured that £43 (with a memory card) is a very reasonable price to pay to get started. I've bought a new (nearly new) car and don't want to be at fault when it's an induced crash ever again.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still can't buy this I'm afraid. I don't think for the sake of opening up an SD card and looking at a file that says 22/06/2014-07:55 or similar is an arduous task. I literally see no different whether it records for 40 minutes pre or post collision.

As I say in some cases the Camera will save the crash video in a separate part of the Memory Card, so you don't even have to look at a list of 20+ video files, albeit in time and date order.

I think you're comparing these too much to your home PVR, you have to remember this is a £50 camera plugged into your 12v, it's not a magic box.

Do you actually have a dashcam?

I was more thinking n the case of parked car gets hit and you don't know when.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was more thinking n the case of parked car gets hit and you don't know when.

This is more difficult than you think, and model specific, aside from being illogical.

How do you think a camera will record the moment leading up to being hit whilst parked, whilst running from battery of the item?

Essentially what you're saying is, you'd like a camera, that records continuously, but only when the G Shock Sensor is activated, either during driving or whilst parked, it deletes all clips prior to that aside from a minute or so?

Highly impractical and nonsensical if you ask me. Lets be honest here, you having to open a few video clips should you ever wish to find the actual moment you've been in a crash from the memory card isn't really a big deal. I think you realise that.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is more difficult than you think, and model specific, aside from being illogical.

How do you think a camera will record the moment leading up to being hit whilst parked, whilst running from battery of the item?

Essentially what you're saying is, you'd like a camera, that records continuously, but only when the G Shock Sensor is activated, either during driving or whilst parked, it deletes all clips prior to that aside from a minute or so?

Highly impractical and nonsensical if you ask me. Lets be honest here, you having to open a few video clips should you ever wish to find the actual moment you've been in a crash from the memory card isn't really a big deal. I think you realise that.
    I think I have finally got my power magic pro to work and this is exactly what my camera does. I will be setting it to stay powered on for 36 hours in parked mode. When it senses movement or any G shock it will save a recording of a few minutes to the memory card. When you load the card up with the included software it will mark all recordings as normal, parked or event, plot them on a map with times, speed etc. I think it's a case of getting a cheaper one for recording driving or spending a bit more if you want parking modes too.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBrand (3rd July 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone else running any other cameras?

I'm thinking of upgrading, I'm using the old A8 at the moment, which isn't great quality, no screen and not many features.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gDS3Ih3KHWw/maxresdefault.jpg

As mine is pretty discrete, I like this style, so which leads me to potentially go for it's replacement, the 0803 Mini.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6/...-a-screen.html

But one thing I really like is the Transscend Pro 200, although larger, I like the wifi, and you can control via an App, and also the emergency button press which saves the previous 10 seconds and next 30 in a secure area of the memory card.

But not sure I can justify the price, although the quality is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVNYH136jI

What are you using these days then lads?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The transcend drive pro 200 is £90 at Argos I saw this on hot UK deals: http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...referrer=COJUN

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm thinking of getting one as well, ideally dual camera for front and back, so any advice be great.

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Missed this but as with evilsatan it's far from illogical - this is when the device would be of most use. A crash with both or one car moving if you take enough photos of the correct areas it's fairly easy to work out what happened (unless we're talking about cars flipping or something). With nobody to witness the perpetrator just drives off, limited to no evidence. The drain on a car battery from one of these writing to flash would be minimal and recording/removing x minute chunks is trivial - add a gyroscopic sensor to it to detect motion and bang, solution (as evilsatan says).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got into these things a bit too much this last 12 months - I'm probably 30 cameras in now and have tested all sorts for different vendors and manufacturers. It's this threads fault

I'm currently running a prototype Mini 0806 (the first couple of batches seem to have had more than their fair share of problems) alongside a dual channel Panorama X2.

I tried the Transcend DrivePro 200 and it vibrated way too much in my car - it was the first one I bought and as I learnt more about them realised it uses a pretty standard DOD LS300 type T mount that's compatible with loads of different mounts on the market so was fixable. It had good night performance, better than lots, and uses a capacitor instead of battery so you don't have to worry about leaving it running while parked up in the sunshine (this can kill batteries very quickly). On the flipside it has issues with losing the time which quite a few people get.

I recently sold a couple of Shadow GT680W cameras which were good little units. Not the best at night time and you would get slightly grainy video but in hindsight they did the job.

Someone hit my car after summer last year while it was parked which is why I went down the Panorama route - a quite popular Korean brand as they can be left running 24x7 and have better motion detection so they prefer everything and write out any motion to card including the 5 seconds before anything happened - unlike most cameras you can buy which by the time they've noticed something going on and fired up you've missed what actually happened.

I've got a couple of the Panorama G IMX322 cameras here which I quite like but they're not the best at capturing numberplates.

When they fix all the problems with the Mini 0806 that's a decent enough camera - the Panorama X2 beats it at night time in terms of being slightly sharper - they're still tweaking it though but in the daytime the Mini can be sharper at 2560x1080. My X2 is slightly out of focus so I need to give it a nudge to see how things compare then. The X2 is better during dawn and dusk though as the sensor is more sensitive and things look like daylight that are dark on most other cameras.

For the absolute best daytime picture I've seen yet that's the Street Storm CVR-A7810-G - it records at up to 2560x1080 and at that resolution it takes some great daytime footage:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR9Z5samaSo

The best nighttime picture is currently the Panorama X2, and then take in the parking mode and the fact it's got front and back cameras it's been good. Got a few bugs that need ironing out in the firmware but to be honest so have most cameras!

3 Thanks given to reverend

BigBrand (23rd February 2015),  corskey (23rd February 2015),  TheThingIs (23rd February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sadly I only have a cheap one.

its been handy though! A car outside our house was hit and smashed the fog light, we parked behind it later that day and noticed the smashed plastic.
    The owner thought it was me until I showed him the video of us pulling up behind with it already broken.

it only cost me £12 so didn't expect miracles.

Key-Features-Of-This-Car-Dash-Cam.jpg
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast