Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Does anyone have a dash cam in thier car ?

If you can wait a bit the Viofo A119 is a great camera and works well in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks to reverend

hoponbaby (24th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks interesting, just when will it be released....

Good to see a manufacturer listening to feedback and making suggested improvements.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't get the 0806 - I bought 3 just after chrimbo for various family members - the firmware is buggy as hell and doesn't get updated often enough there's no proper support from them and they have a string of known hardware issues - I've been hit by 2 of them (bad wiring that breaks when you rotate the camera) and one of the power transistors blows quite often on hardwired systems (even ones with reputable branded power convertors). It's killed one of my 3 completely.

And the built in GPS is piss poor, very very slow to get a lock..

Check the www.mini0806.com website and see the comments on each of the firmware updates they have posted.

A lot of very unhappy 0806 customers out there including me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks to Northernbloke

hoponbaby (24th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

They shouldn't be far off at all now - the likes of Gearbest are taking preorders now.

The Sony cameras need testing but the standard A119 has been good - I haven't tried the GPS version yet but no issues whatsoever to report with the non GPS version.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had this discussion a while back, for those who want to continuously record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YZMNrbWUg

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Don't get the 0806 - I bought 3 just after chrimbo for various family members - the firmware is buggy as hell and doesn't get updated often enough there's no proper support from them and they have a string of known hardware issues - I've been hit by 2 of them (bad wiring that breaks when you rotate the camera) and one of the power transistors blows quite often on hardwired systems (even ones with reputable branded power convertors). It's killed one of my 3 completely.

And the built in GPS is piss poor, very very slow to get a lock..

Check the www.mini0806.com website and see the comments on each of the firmware updates they have posted.

A lot of very unhappy 0806 customers out there including me

I think this is the same with any of the 080* series. However it's not all of them. I have two 0806's that are running fine. Both record perfectly well. They fire up as soon as I unlock the car and both lock onto GPS before I've actually turned the engine on. I don't use a hardwiring system, I just prefer to use the mains adapter that comes with them. The CPL makes a massive difference and eliminates reflections on the windscreen.

Some people moan about them overheating but the only time I've ever had one over heat was when I set the screen to stay on and it got too warm. Really, it should be set to turn the screen off asap so you're not distracted looking at it.

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, you can find bad reviews for almost every camera out there... unless you want to spend £250 upwards which I prefer not to. Any time I order a cam, I ensure it's a "Fulfilled by Amazon" one so I'm pretty much guaranteed a refund up to 2 years after purchase. If it failed after that then to be fair, it's only a cost of around £35/year so cheap enough.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 25th July 2016 at 03:56 PM.

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

like the idea of a dashcam, especially now I've finally got my Audi A8, but really don't want a camera stuck to my windscreen, cluttering it up and needing me to remember to remove it to prevent potential theft.
    Was looking at one of these, or similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proffession...ct_top?ie=UTF8. Intrigued by the simplicity of installation and integration onto the rear view mirror. Has some really good reviews (as do others of a similar type and they all seem cheap as chips.
    Any thoughts? - Presume you could hardwire to internal light, thus removing need to have wire dangling to cigarette lighter?

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be fair, most of them aren't very big. Some can tuck behind the rear view mirror. I personally have mine just beneath the mirror centrally in the screen. I don't even notice it when I'm driving now. It's just part of the car. I never take it off the mount as having it in there also acts as a deterrant. How do they know it's not recording and storting the data digitally somewhere else in the car or in the cloud? I've had dash cams for about 3 years now with no problems.

Can't say what the ones in the RV mirror are like.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    like the idea of a dashcam, especially now I've finally got my Audi A8, but really don't want a camera stuck to my windscreen, cluttering it up and needing me to remember to remove it to prevent potential theft.
    Was looking at one of these, or similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proffession...ct_top?ie=UTF8. Intrigued by the simplicity of installation and integration onto the rear view mirror. Has some really good reviews (as do others of a similar type and they all seem cheap as chips.
    Any thoughts? - Presume you could hardwire to internal light, thus removing need to have wire dangling to cigarette lighter?
    Similar to my one that is.

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...R-150-dash-cam

Quite happy with it still and fortunately not needed to rely on it, aside from showing mates a few near misses from spackers on the roads.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

I Black Belt (25th July 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Has anyone looked into the legality of using these (i.e. is any evidence admissible in court?)

Before anyone suggests it's a daft question, if you have a camera on your house without one of those signs, then I believe the footage is not admissible in court.

Or even more interesting, when police fitted ANPR to their cars, they didn't initially fit signs. I believe there was some talk about legal action at the time, but it's not as if our courts would ever find a policeman guilty of committing any crime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure. I did actually buy some cctv stickers for the car windows, but decided not to use them. Kinda really advertising that fact u have a camera installed and maybe something nice inside worth nicking...

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Over Carl (25th July 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Precisely what I was thinking. I often have loads of tools in my car, but so far I've escaped attention by keeping them "hidden" under a heap of rubbish (and also driving something most people would consider a heap of rubbish). I would love to put up a camera in case of a dodgy claim against me, but then I suspect if I put signs up so I could actually use the footage if needed, I would just find an empty car one morning with no tools and no camera.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Insurance companies are recognising them and I have mine discounted a little more for having the camera. Remember having a Dashcam in your car not only captures the footage of other drivers, it'll capture footage of yourself and if you're driving like a dick or are the cause of an incident, the police WILL use it against you for sure. So long as it's timestamped and GPS logged, I don't see why they could refuse to use it in evidence, especially if it helps clear up an incident report much more quickly.

I've actually found that having the cam in the car makes me drive a little more carefully because the last thing I want is for it to be used against me lol.

It's also handy that if you DO get stopped by the police, ensure the mic is enabled, it'll capture those conversations where the police are uneccessarily arsey with you. I've had a few spot checks over the years and sometimes the police speak to you like shit. I ensure the windows are fully open and the mic is on. Captures the conversation nicely.

There's no way I'm putting a sticker on the car advising of recording though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had new number plates, with "Smile your on car cctv" on the bottom of the front and rear would upload a pic but cant see where to delete old pics

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I'm aware all you need to do is tell anyone you're speaking to that it's being recorded - that's all cyclists with helmet cams need to do

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678