Karma Level

Default Re: E-cigarettes face curb in public places in Wales

Doesn't make me wrong
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    I read an article recently about how on average an obese woman will cost the NHS roughly £400 (I think) more during the pregnancy than a healthy person... £400... How much does smoking related illness cost, the same smoking they are trying to 'discourage' people from doing.
    Smoking is a net gain to the exchequer; the tax take outweighs medical costs multiple times IIRC and smokers die earlier so cost less in general 'old person costs'.

Fuck it, I might start smoking... Apparently your cooler if you smoke.
    Yup:
    Spoiler:

Thanks to super mike

Over Carl (3rd June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and some health experts are concerned that the side effects of inhaling pure nicotine have yet to be adequately studied, and are therefore unknown. The FDA is also concerned about quality control, asserting that some manufacturers may not adequately disclose all the chemical ingredients in their e-cigarettes, and that the amount of nicotine listed on a cartridge label may not match the actual amount in the cartridge.

While e-cigarettes don't produce secondhand smoke, they do produce secondhand vapor. And even though manufacturers say that it's merely water vapor and therefore harmless, regulatory agencies and health experts contend that e-cigarette makers haven't conducted the research needed to prove this. Some individuals, particularly those with health conditions that make them sensitive, have reported that the vapor is irritating to their eyes, noses and throats, and that it affects their breathing and makes them nauseous. Opponents of e-cigarettes say people shouldn't be subjected to secondhand vapor until manufacturers have proven it to be safe for everyone, including children, the elderly and people with certain medical conditions.

Source:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...tes.htm#page=2

Just a small snippet from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4323231.html

An interesting read:

This great unknown of possible negative health effects, along with the lack of regulation of e-cigarettes, scares experts like Leone. The products come bereft of health warnings. How many pregnant women will vape following McCarthy's promotion?
    As for their merits in smoking cessation, e-cigarettes don't appear very helpful. A study published last month in the journal Addictive Behaviors found that most smokers who used them while they tried to quit either became hooked on vaping, or reverted back to smoking cigarettes. A study published Nov. 16 in the journal The Lancet found no statistically significant difference in the merits of the e-cigarette over the nicotine patch in terms of helping people quit.
    Leone said that e-cigarettes might not help people quit smoking because the device keeps addicts in a state of ambivalence -- the illusion of doing something positive to mitigate the guilt that comes from smoking, but all the while maintaining the ritual of smoking.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Giving up smoking to be banned in public places

Wales could be the first part of the UK to ban giving up smoking in enclosed public places.

Ministers say they are responding to concerns that people quitting smoking are very irritable and liable to bite your head off for no good reason.
    Health Minister Mark Drakeford said the aim of the ban was to address some of the nationā€™s major public challenges.
    People giving up smoking present a serious risk to anybody attempting to start even the most innocuous conversation,ā€¯ he said.
    Even simple questions, such as ˜How are you? or ˜Can I help?, are generally greeted with a volley of verbal abuse capable of causing even the very thick-skinned to develop a wide range of insecurities.¯
    As such, we will be banning anyone trying to quit smoking by the use of e-cigarette from all public places.¯

e-cigarette ban

People who are often exposed to smokers looking to quit have welcomed the new rules.
    Non-smoker Simon Williams told us, Thank God for that. Is there anything more anti-social than a reformed smoker?¯
    How dare they try to better themselves in front of me.¯

Im glad were banning people trying to quit from public places, but could we not go a little further?¯
    Personally Id like to discriminate against them in the workplace, as you cant put them in any job thats customer facing it's just too risky.¯

http://newsthump.com/2014/04/04/givi...public-places/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Amazing how many disingenuous statements coming out from this on all sides, if you are really and I mean REALLY worried about what is going in your lungs that will do you harm then look at when is being pumped into the air you take in every day, look at the state of your car and don't think I will have to clean that now and think that is going in my lungs every day.

I get the passive smoking argument and accept most of the arguments but think outside the box and realise this is also being used to smoke screen the other deadly particles and components in the air going into your lungs daily that are slowly killing you they never mention, cigarette smoke smells you can identify it but for instance they add a smell to natural gas so humans can smell it as a danger without this it is a silent killer, how many other 'silent' killers are there without a smell?

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Over Carl (3rd June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If we are talking silent killers.... I am not sure, given the choice, I'd want all the forms of radio flying around my head.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BAN THEM NOW!! Video in the link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26958397

Barmaid hit by exploding e-cigarette

A barmaid escaped with minor injuries after she was hit by an exploding e-cigarette which had been left plugged into a charger behind the bar of a North Yorkshire pub.
    Laura Baty, 18, was shocked when she was hit by the device at the Buck Inn Hotel, in Richmond.
    Sean Fearon of West Yorkshire fire service and Kevin Ronan of South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue both warned that lesser known brand e-cigarette are a potential fire hazard.

We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is she related to Nora ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BAN THEM NOW!! Video in the link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26958397

Barmaid hit by exploding e-cigarette

A barmaid escaped with minor injuries after she was hit by an exploding e-cigarette which had been left plugged into a charger behind the bar of a North Yorkshire pub.
    Laura Baty, 18, was shocked when she was hit by the device at the Buck Inn Hotel, in Richmond.
    Sean Fearon of West Yorkshire fire service and Kevin Ronan of South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue both warned that lesser known brand e-cigarette are a potential fire hazard.

http://xkcd.com/651/

2 Thanks given to super mike

Goldberg (9th April 2014),  Over Carl (3rd June 2014)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12