Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody windows 8!!!

The stats I go by are real time from W3. More accurate than Sales figures.
    The general consensus is as you'd expect. Windows 7 users slowly testing the water.

More Windows 8 users than MAC OSX.

SOURCE

--edit
    emu, I see no-one slagging Linux off per-se, just saying their personal experiences. I laughed at the 'Man Page' comments. So true.
    I'm comfortable using most flavours of Linux, but my preference, because I was taught it from the ground up, is Windows.

I have 2 systems running Linux because they are better at somethings than Windows. But my main 'User Experience' PC is Windows 8.

--edit2
    Is this the first time 4me2 and MsDG agree on something? I believe it might be, although they are both so wrong. Hahaha!
    When something trends, the line tends to do this - http://www.netmarketshare.com/report....1&qpcustomb=0
    Last edited by DejaVu; 10th May 2014 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

BigBird (10th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Everyone slagging Linux off have you tried the latest Ubuntu 14.04 or the latest Linux mint ? Just curious

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The amount of people that have approached me with Unusable laptops/PC's ....
    Turns out they are not unusable but they had Linux Mint on it...... and they , I quote, "found it completely un-user friendly and confusing"
    To the point the customers thought the hardware was faulty

Thanks to macmilm

Goldberg (14th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No they're shit lol

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I have 2 systems running Linux because they are better at somethings than Windows. But my main 'User Experience' PC is Windows 8.
    A well put balanced statement appreciating the merits of both systems.

It is a matter of personal preference. It's whatever suits your needs. Linux is more work to set up properly and I doubt anyone would disagree on that, but with a little bit of open mindedness and determination I think some distros have advanced to the point where almost anyone can do it if they really wanted to. What you will undoubtedly get if you do put in the effort is the feeling of self acheivement which may well drive you on to explore and love Linux more than you ever liked windows. So I can understand the passion that Linux users display when defending the platform.

I have tried linux in the past and given up, Ubuntu and Mint if I remember correctly, but to be honest I didn't have a real incentive because windows was running fine and did everything I needed so instead of stubborn determination I was experiencing annoying frustration. I used to program in DOS basic and wrote some extensive routines to control vehicle air conditioning systems and for data acquisition, complete with on screen graphics. This was in the days before visual basic did most of the work for you, so I consider myself above average when it comes to having the ability to set up a Linux machine. What I didn't have was the need, and therefore determination.

I started off determined because Windows ME was giving me lots of grief but at the same time I was also installing Windows 2000 on another machine. As soon as I booted into Win2000 I somehow knew that I had a stable operating system so the Linux machine was put aside because I no longer needed it because I had a stable system that was familiar to me. (">

None of the operating systems (WIN8, Mac OS, Linux) are shit. Personally I just want operating systems that do what I need them to do. At the moment these are Win7, Win8, Server2008 and Home server 2011. My machines are running fine with no issues. My server 2008 machine has been running for about 5 years now 24/7 and is used every day (for running programs as a workstation, not a server) and has never failed me or slowed down with time even though it has loads installed on it over the years. There is nothing a Mac or Linux can do that I can't do now. Until that changes I will stick to what I know.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah tried Ubuntu 14.04 but still crap as far as I'm concerned. I just want to use an os and am not interested in the "self achievement" of getting it to work right.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    Yeah tried Ubuntu 14.04 but still crap as far as I'm concerned. I just want to use an os and am not interested in the "self achievement" of getting it to work right.
    Same here but the difference is that I wouldn't call it crap. That's like saying that something that takes a bit of extra effort is crap but it's not to the people that enjoy putting in that extra effort. Takes an extra effort to rebuild or run an old car and can cost more than buying a new one. To some people it is just scrap but to the enthusiasts that spend years of their time and lots of money its an enjoyable hobby.

I see Linux as an efficient operating system but also as an interesting hobby for many of the people that use it. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hard nosed windows users will never get on with linux because it actually takes some work to make it perfect (perfect is entirely subjective of course).

Linux users will never like windows but especially windows 8 because it's the most spoon fed o/s I have ever seen. It does lots for you and expects you not to question or alter it. Sadly, most just swallow this.

OSX users are smug because their o/s just does it. They make big allowances for things it won't do because it does what it does incredibly well.

Horses for courses, nothing is perfect for everybody.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

10 PRINT "I sit here punching the"
    20 PRINT "keys on my ZX81 and"
    30 PRINT "wonder what all the fuss is about......."
    40 END
    Last edited by ViSaGe; 12th May 2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling bloody zx81 keyboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123