Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

XboxOne Welcome to the Xbox One June update preview!

Details on the upcoming June update - Welcome to the Xbox One June update preview! The 1406 wave contains many exciting features- many of them specifically requested by you! Now you don't have to worry about running out of space, or who that one Gamertag on your Friends list really is. You can sign in automatically without needing Kinect, and you might find the Xbox Store a little bit brighter on the Home page. We'll be rolling out this update for the preview audience over the next few days in waves, with one wave on 5/24, and the other following shortly after. So get ready! While you're waiting, check out below for a high-level view of what to expect.

Features in the June update preview:

• External Storage for your Games and Apps. This has been a much requested feature, and it's here! With the June update preview, you can connect up to two external hard drives to use as extra storage for your Xbox One console. We have a detailed list of how to use this feature here, and you can discuss everything external storage related in the External Storage on Xbox One forums. Don't forget to check out the FAQ!
    • Real Name Sharing: Now you can share your real name with your friends, and even with your friends-of-friends. Don't worry though, you're in total control - share your name with your entire friends list, or just a few. The next time you open the Friends app, you’ll receive a setup prompt. If you don’t receive the prompt, you can also access the setup by selecting My profile and Share real name.
    • Auto Sign-In. You requested this, and now you have it! With Auto-Sign In, you can now select an account to sign in automatically when you turn on your Xbox One. To enable this option, navigate to Settings > Preferences > Instant sign-in, and choose the account you wish to sign in automatically. The next time you turn on the system, you'll be signed-in from the get-go!
    • Updated Store for Home. The Xbox Store has been redesigned and now includes featured content front and center with Game, Movie, Music, and App categories to the right. The search bar has also been moved, and it's now an icon under the categories at the far right.

External Storage Details

Hopefully by now you’ve seen the announcement that external storage and a number of cool features are coming to Xbox One in June. With the 1406 update becoming available over the next few days, we are now ready for you to try out the full capabilities of the external storage feature and give us your thoughts!

What You'll Need

A 256GB or larger storage device with USB 3.0.

Note: Any brand/drive should work, as long as it's at least 256GB and USB 3.0.
    Note: You can connect up to two storage devices at the same time
    Note: If the storage device is connected via a USB hub, it needs to support USB 3.0.
    Note: Both USB powered and AC adapter powered will work.

Some scenarios to try out

Give the following a try, and let us know what you think!

Configure your external storage device

• Plug in a suitable storage device (see above) to one of the Xbox One’s USB ports.
    • Name your device and we'll update the volume name of the drive.
    • Set your device as the default install location—all new installations will then be placed on your storage device. You can change this later in Settings.
    • Confirm, and in a few seconds your device is ready to use!

Play from your storage device

Once you’ve installed content to your storage device, play your games and apps. When visiting My games and apps, you’ll notice the storage graph shows free space for all connected drives. You'll also see the new filter content by storage device option so you can easily figure out what’s installed where.

Manage content on your storage device

Check out the ability to copy and move content from one storage device to another. Start by going to the Manage game page. You'll see a new Manage all menu where you can copy or move all the game items from one storage device to another. You can also select an individual item and use the menu to copy or move it.

Roam with your storage device

With your game and app content installed, try plugging in your storage device to another Xbox One console (must also be on the June update preview!) and playing your games and apps. Please note that the user who owns the game needs to be signed in to play it, and if you installed the game from a disc you'll need to bring it with you. In addition, try roaming with both games and their downloadable content installed, or just downloadable content with the game installed on another drive.

Manage settings for your storage devices

Go to Settings > System > Manage storage to see a list of all connected storage devices. Select a device to rename it, change the default install location, format it, or view installed content.

On The Horizon

We've got a couple more things we're still finishing up.

External Storage FAQ

Q: What can I install on my external storage device?
    A: You can install games, downloadable content, and apps on your storage device.

Q: Can I store game saves on the external storage device?
    A: No. Game saves are automatically stored in the cloud and synced to the Xbox One console.

Q: Can I use the external storage device for music and video playback?
    A: No. For the initial release of the external storage feature, media files, including music and videos, are not supported. We are considering this for a future release.

Q: Can I copy or move a game from my internal hard drive to my external storage device?
    A: Yes. Check out the content management features by going the Manage page for the game or app.

Q: Can I use my external storage device with my PC as well as my Xbox One?
    A: No. The external storage device will be formatted for use by the Xbox One console only. PCs won’t recognize the drive partition created by the Xbox One.

Q: Can I re-format my storage device from my Xbox One console?
    A: If you'd like to remove all content from your storage device and start over, you can re-format your storage device on the Xbox One. To do this, go to Settings>System>Manage Storage, choose the external drive you want to format, and select Format. After this is done, the Xbox One will treat it as a brand new drive.

Note: Formatting causes the storage device to wipe all data.

Q: Do I need to bring my game disc while roaming with my storage device?
    A: Yes. The external storage device does not change the licensing for games, so if the game was installed from a disc, the disc is required to play the game.

Source: www.Rheena.com

9 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (25th May 2014),  AD (25th May 2014),  H4ss4n (25th May 2014),  I Black Belt (25th May 2014),  inspectercoley (26th May 2014),  jimbo77 (26th May 2014),  lfc4ever (28th May 2014),  rIKmAN (25th May 2014),  Robbo (28th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Welcome to the Xbox One June update preview!

Got the update this morning, stuck in a 2Tb & 1Tb portable drive and formatted straight away. Moved all my arcade games over and a few other's leaving the main storage for new installs. Good so far, have to say i'm liking the speed at which MS are pushing updates out at.

3 Thanks given to Armoured Hawk

4me2 (25th May 2014),  AD (25th May 2014),  Bald Bouncer (25th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured Hawk View Post
    Moved all my arcade games over

didn't think the one had arcade games yet ?? am I missing something ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    didn't think the one had arcade games yet ?? am I missing something ?
    Max, Peggle 2, Strider etc, force of habit still see them as "arcade games"

Thanks
    Karma Level

No music or video initially is a bit lame but never mind.