Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention E-cigarettes could be prescribed on the NHS

E-cigarettes could be prescribed on the NHS as study finds they 'help smokers quit'

E-cigarettes were more effective than nicotine gum and patches, but some experts warn they will 'renormalise' smoking, especially among the young

E-cigarettes are considerably more effective than over-the-counter treatments such as nicotine gum and patches at helping people to quit smoking, a new study has revealed.

One leading expert said it would be “perfectly reasonable” for the devices, which will soon be licensed as medicines, to be prescribed on the NHS.
    Despite concerns that the recent rise in popularity of ‘e-cigs’ may be “re-normalising” smoking, Professor Robert West of University College London said that they had proven to be highly efficient quit-smoking aids, which could “substantially improve public health”.
    Around a quarter of the four million people in England that attempted to quit smoking in the past year used e-cigarettes to help them.
    The new study, published today by UCL researchers, looked at the success rate of nearly 6,000 quitters. Those who used e-cigarettes were 60 per cent more likely to report succeeding than either those who tried to quit with over-the-counter nicotine replacement therapies, or those who quit without help. E-cigarettes were found to be as effective as prescription medicines, but the group of smokers with the highest quitting success rate were those who used free NHS stop smoking services.
    There has been a huge rise increase in the use of e-cigarettes in the past two to three years, with some estimates putting the number of UK users at more than two million.
    The reaction to the rapid rise among governments and public health experts has been mixed. Some have heralded the devices, which contain nicotine but are far less harmful than an ordinary cigarette, as a powerful tool to drive down the number of smokers, and regulators are planning to licence them as medicines by 2016.
    However, others have warned that they risk “renormalizing” smoking and encouraging young people to take up smoking. The Welsh Government is even considering a ban on the devices in public places – a position that is challenged by this latest research.

Professor West, director of tobacco studies at UCL and the study’s senior author said that once e-cigarettes had been approved the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), it would be “perfectly reasonable” for them to be prescribed on the NHS.

However, despite their benefits, there are concerns that the tobacco industry could still benefit from the rise of e-cigarettes. So far two companies are understood to have applied for a medicines licence for their e-cigarette products, one of them a subsidiary of British American Tobacco.
    If they are successful in their MHRA application, and the products are approved for NHS prescription, it could, in theory, lead to NHS funds being paid to a tobacco manufacturer.

However, Professor West said that, overall, e-cigarettes were “not good news for the tobacco industry”.
    “The tobacco industry would love them to go away…” he said. “They sell tobacco and do very well out of it and they would like to carry on doing that,” he said. “However, [they] recognise that e-cigarettes are a major factor and the question is: what are they going to do about it?”
    “It’s such a complicated area…the tobacco industry has money coming out of their ears. For them it is petty cash to put in an MHRA application…for a small e-cigarette company that is innovating, the cost and the timescale involved is prohibitive. The challenge for the MHRA, and I know they’re looking at this, is to bring the cost and timescale for getting a medical licence down to a point where the medium-sized companies doing the innovating can take part.”
    Professor West added that the proposed Welsh ban on ‘vaping’ in public places on the basis that it might be ‘re-normalising’ smoking among young people was “not borne out by the evidence”.
    A Welsh Government spokesperson said that officials were “looking at the options” and that the proposals recognised the potential public health benefits of e-cigarettes.
    Martin Dockrell, head of Public Health England’s (PHE) tobacco control programme said that e-cigarettes represented a public health “opportunity” but said they were not completely free of risk.

“PHE believe e-cigarettes need to be regulated to ensure they deliver nicotine effectively, minimise the potential for harm, and are marketed only to adults as a replacement for smoking,” he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-9404549.html

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: E-cigarettes could be prescribed on the NHS

If I'm honest, I find that annoying. Smoking is a choice and e-cigs are cheaper than smoking actual cigarettes. There are other drugs and treatments, for people who didn't contribute to their ill health, which aren't available on the NHS. Maybe they should make those available instead.

I realise this is the e-cigarette forum and my opinion probably won't go down well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    If I'm honest, I find that annoying. Smoking is a choice and e-cigs are cheaper than smoking actual cigarettes. There are other drugs and treatments, for people who didn't contribute to their ill health, which aren't available on the NHS. Maybe they should make those available instead.

I realise this is the e-cigarette forum and my opinion probably won't go down well.
    It didn't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post

Arent patches and other methods to help people quit available on the NHS already? I'd imagine the tax payer is already paying for those, so a shift to e-cigs may work out to cost less.

Thanks to {{909}}

4me2 (26th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks to be like another play from big pharma which will ultimately lead to over regulation and only 'licensed' equipment being available for the masses.

3 Thanks given to losttoy

4me2 (26th May 2014),  greens117 (16th July 2014),  Over Carl (17th July 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by losttoy View Post
    Looks to be like another play from big pharma which will ultimately lead to over regulation and only 'licensed' equipment being available for the masses.
    Can only really be a good thing tho?
    I'd rather my mother who really isn't convinced, maybe a endorsement would help? How can they regulate this ?
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

At the moment they can't as there isn't a device on the market that can deliver a consistent dose. As soon as there is something that can deliver x amount of milligrams per 10 puffs and have that verified by bloodwork they'll be getting pushed hard by pharma

Thanks to losttoy

greens117 (18th July 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used ecigs and patches to stop smoking and found both very helpfull, so why not provide them on the NHS..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by losttoy View Post
    At the moment they can't as there isn't a device on the market that can deliver a consistent dose. As soon as there is something that can deliver x amount of milligrams per 10 puffs and have that verified by bloodwork they'll be getting pushed hard by pharma
    Recent tests have found that the new wave of e-cigs actually deliver a much more consistent nicotine flow than older iterations.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

That just seems to say that second generation are more efficient at delivering nicotine unless I'm missing something. I'm all up for ecigs being widely available, free on the nhs would hypothetically be great but I worry it would lead to over regulation and land firmly in the laps of pharma. That would mean only being able to use licensed devices. We're already facing limitations on tank atomizers, flavours and a maximum nic strength as the tobacco products directive is currently written by those corrupt fucks at the EU

Tobacco and pharma are fighting hard for control of the market. If pharma win only their devices will be available, if tobacco win it'll be taxed to fook

Thanks to losttoy

greens117 (9th August 2014)