Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech how to set up virtual machine on n54l running WHS?

Hi guys,

I've got WHS 2007 on my n54l but can now longer back up my mac using time machine which i used on my Synology NAS.

I think i could install Xpenology on a virtual machine on the N54l which would allow my to run time machine.

I've googled but am getting confused as i've never set up virtual machines before.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get me started please?

Cheers

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: how to set up virtual machine on n54l running WHS?

You could install VMWare Player or Oracle Virtual Box and install it? You just download the Xpenology iso and create the virtual machine.

I use a licensed version of vmware workstation to run vms on mine, trying to get a squid proxy server set up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to liveseytowers

muttleymacclad (30th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know how much of a pita it would be for you, but it could be worth considering installing proper windows server in order to utilise the hyper-v role.

(Or if you are up for a complete rebuild ESXi is another great option but probably has a steeper learning curve).

Thanks to Over Carl

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd prob just go with VirtualBox. Less hassle than a full re-install and if you're only gonna run the one VM you'll be fine.

So steps would be to go into your BIOS and make sure that all virtualization options are enabled, download virtualbox, install it on WHS 2007, fire it up and use the wizard to create a new virtual machine.

You'll need to tell it how much RAM you want to dedicate to the VM so make sure you have plenty in your server.

You'll also need to specify how big you want it's virtual hard drive to be. Here you have two options:

1) A fixed-sized one which will pre-allocate the full size of the drive space you specify, so a 40GB hard drive will create a 40GB file on C: (or wherever you place it).
    2) A dynamic hard drive which will expand as you add stuff. So a 40GB hard drive will start at 0MB when it's created, and grow MB by MB as you install and save stuff to the C: of the virtual machine.

A fixed-size hard drive is faster due to it having faster seek times but eats a lot of space quickly.
    A dynamic hard drive minimises the amount of space it takes up but be careful you don't over allocate. This means creating a dynamically expanding hard drive of 60GB when you only have 40GB free for example. It means your virtual hard drive could grow and fill up your disk. Also be wary of the possibility of this happening in the future. You may have 100GB free now, and only a 50GB virtual hard drive, a year down the line you add 70GB of movies and you're in the position where you've over allocated again.

Personally I'd go with fixed size. Dynamic are not recommended in business production environments and storage is cheap as chips anyways.

Once you've got a VM ready you'll need to attach some boot media to install the operating system. The best thing to do is to download a .iso of the OS you want to install. I'd go with Debian Wheezy. Get the netinstall version and it will stream the files it wants from the internet during the setup procedure.

Here's a step by step on how to set up a VM in VirtualBox. It's a little old but should get you where you need to be:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...part-1?start=1

and here's a guide on how to set up Debian as a Time Machine server:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-server-part-2

Thanks to Mr.James

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks so much guys.

Fantastic help mr James.

Will get onto this next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

Mr.James (30th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Any probs drop me a PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well i still haven't done this but am about to give it a go i reckon.

Now i've got a copy of server 2012, i've got the HP bios update to allow for the standard NIC to be recognised and i've windows toolkit to activate Windows server 2012.

I'm not too bothered now about backing up my mac now but reckon a VM running windows 8.1 may help with running my plex server, and linking it to an atv3 sideloaded with plexconnect.

However is it worth putting windows server 2012 on the N54L, if Windows 8.1 could do most of what i need on it's own. ie connect externally with a dynamic dns, set up user access etc?

I guess there isn't a set answer and i'll only really know if i try each secenario.

MML

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd just install Server 2012 then install Plex server on that. Install the hyper-v role and then play around creating a couple of VMs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mr James. The only issue is plexconnect on atv3. If you're running plex server on windows server then you have redirect ports in IIS for you to be able to run a sideloaded plex client as it uses port 80. Hence the thought of a VM running 8.1 hosting the plex server.

I tried for ages to get it to work with whs2011 with no joy. As far as i know whs2011 is unable to run VM's.

I have plex server running on whs 2011 with plex client running on a jb atv2, however as atv2 only does 720p, I got an atv3 (cannot be jb) which will do 1080p with plex loaded as the trailers app.

It's a fuck of a lot of dicking around just to get 1080p though lol!

Mml

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Thanks mr James. The only issue is plexconnect on atv3. If you're running plex server on windows server then you have redirect ports in IIS for you to be able to run a sideloaded plex client as it uses port 80. Hence the thought of a VM running 8.1 hosting the plex server.

I tried for ages to get it to work with whs2011 with no joy. As far as i know whs2011 is unable to run VM's.

I have plex server running on whs 2011 with plex client running on a jb atv2, however as atv2 only does 720p, I got an atv3 (cannot be jb) which will do 1080p with plex loaded as the trailers app.

It's a fuck of a lot of dicking around just to get 1080p though lol!

Mml

Are you planning on installing IIS though? It's not installed by default but it's an optional extra.

Just load up Windows 2012 then bang Plex on it. Port 80 will be free for it to use so no need to mess with ports.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Noseying here:

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/...d-known-issues

You should be fine. It says that you'll need to disable the 'other' Web Server or change the port 'if' you are running one. A default install of Server 2012 doesn't run a web server.

I presume that WHS2011 installs one by default and that's why you got the issues.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I rebuilt my 54l with server 2012 r2 recently. Ive made it into a dc with hyper v and thats it on the actuall server. Ive got a windows 8.1 machine running in hyper v on a work group that powers on when the server powers on. It auto logs in as its in a workgroup and i run utorrent and plex server on that. I do all my downloading on it and all finished downloads go onto the shared drives back on the server. Ive got a snapshot of the 8.1 box i case i get worried about viruses etc.

Seems to be working really well for me.