Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky Engineer jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Yep but who ever has a ho the best of luck.
    Yeah, you need all the luck you can if you have a ho

Thanks to ivrytwr3

Zoots (5th July 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Balls.......

Ho= Go

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    Yeah, you need all the luck you can if you have a ho

Thanks to Realist

ivrytwr3 (5th July 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry bud but it cheeses me off when people mention Murdoch and all that crap, he just owns shares in Sky that's all, sold the business years ago.

Regards
    Yeah I know that, but it wouldn't have the same impact if I hadn't put that in. Just out of interest, are these "engineers" really engineers, or just box and dish fitters? The reason I ask is when I had sky fitted (admittedly 14 years ago), the bloke who did it split a brick drilling through the wall, and IMO didn't to a great job.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As a business Sky have put thousands into training people to perfume an install to company best practice and policies but sometimes damage can acure and does happen. The install process has gone from baseball caps and trainers, just get up there and get that dish on the wall attitude to a business that puts the customer first, if they didn't do they where would Sky be today.

Engineer as a term does mean someone that's done a degree in uni but you will be surprised that quite a few guys whom work as you call it dish fitters have degree's and have earned the right to be called an engineer.

Myself I started of using CB, then onto amateur radio then as part of that process trained as a electrician did my electronics courses and also my IT bits, like I'm a MCP but to be honest I've never kelp up with IT so not carried on with that as a profession.

I therefore say yes some of us have earned the right to be called an engineer but I think Sky are using the word loosely and not literally if you know what I mean.

Regards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I therefore say yes some of us have earned the right to be called an engineer but I think Sky are using the word loosely and not literally if you know what I mean.

Regards.
    Fair comment. I used to work in mobile phone repair and some of the "technicians" there were totally non-technical and others of us were degree/HND trained and/or time served.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As a business Sky have put thousands into training people to perfume an install to company best practice and policies but sometimes damage can acure and does happen. The install process has gone from baseball caps and trainers, just get up there and get that dish on the wall attitude to a business that puts the customer first, if they didn't do they where would Sky be today.

Engineer as a term does mean someone that's done a degree in uni but you will be surprised that quite a few guys whom work as you call it dish fitters have degree's and have earned the right to be called an engineer.

Myself I started of using CB, then onto amateur radio then as part of that process trained as a electrician did my electronics courses and also my IT bits, like I'm a MCP but to be honest I've never kelp up with IT so not carried on with that as a profession.

Regards.
    Have to disagree with some of the above, The main reason it changed for the better now for the installer was due to the chap that fell off the three story roof. Up to that point it was a fucking shambles, Sky didn't give a shit about the engineers.

I did some training with the contractors and they were short so they asked me to go out, they had a route with eighteen installs all seventy miles from my postcode. and all the ones that you didn't get to they wanted you to phone the customers to tell them you weren't coming.

The only reason the installers are better qualified is because of the lack of jobs so like any employer you can pick and choose the better qualified.

AVC are the biggest bunch of cunts I've ever had the joy of working with.

Anyway Kudos for putting up the job opp and good luc to anyone that gets a job.

Thanks to kroner

greens117 (7th July 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the heads up Realist but there are none in my area. I didnt even realise Sky had a jobs section on their website. Will keep an eye out for future roles. Always fancied being a sky engineer for some reason. I think it would be a pretty cool job.

Hopefully someone else here might find a job in their area.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There is a difference between Sky and AVC which no longer exists where Sky only give their engineers enough jobs to last a day where AVC would give 10 installs and that's where the breach in H&S would come into it.

AVC just wanted their engineers to get on with it but now all installers are in-house and controlled by Sky, no more AVC but some of the AVC engineers that have transferred over have had a culture shock and some have quit, some have been sacked.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    Have to disagree with some of the above, The main reason it changed for the better now for the installer was due to the chap that fell off the three story roof. Up to that point it was a fucking shambles, Sky didn't give a shit about the engineers.

I did some training with the contractors and they were short so they asked me to go out, they had a route with eighteen installs all seventy miles from my postcode. and all the ones that you didn't get to they wanted you to phone the customers to tell them you weren't coming.

The only reason the installers are better qualified is because of the lack of jobs so like any employer you can pick and choose the better qualified.

AVC are the biggest bunch of cunts I've ever had the joy of working with.

Anyway Kudos for putting up the job opp and good luc to anyone that gets a job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is a difference between Sky and AVC which no longer exists where Sky only give their engineers enough jobs to last a day where AVC would give 10 installs and that's where the breach in H&S would come into it.

AVC just wanted their engineers to get on with it but now all installers are in-house and controlled by Sky, no more AVC but some of the AVC engineers that have transferred over have had a culture shock and some have quit, some have been sacked.

Regards
    LOL sounds like the good old days of Sky partners. Cobra etc etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got this. So no job for me

Thank you for your recent application for the Home Service Field Engineer: St Helens, WA9 postcode position, and for the continuing interest you have shown in progressing your career with Sky.
    Unfortunately due to changing business circumstances this position has been put on hold for the foreseeable future. We will keep your details on file for this particular postcode and should this situation change we will be in contact with you.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Owe that's nice of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bbshark View Post
    Just got this. So no job for me

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

First post updated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

First post updated.
    Covered pretty much all of those Southern post codes over my twenty five years of installing, and fook me there's some driving nightmares in the list above

Just out of interest, are all your jobs local Realist or do they still push you out of area ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Still out of area we now are classed as regional not postcode I for example cover anything from west wales to Gloucester Mid wales to Cardiff and I live in the middle.

Some of our SE guys last week did 241 miles of driving and that's not including their work.

Thanks to Realist

kroner (8th July 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a email today saying i passed the test but due to overwhelming response im on the waiting list -

EDIT: oops wrong thread

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thought so LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12