Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Best alternative to Sky?

I know this has been asked many times and I've already searched and researched the answer but second opinions are always welcomed.

Binned sky TV, BB and phoneline last night as I've just had enough of paying £50 a month, especially the TV side of things that we no longer watch, and they couldn't offer a decent retention deal. Was offered £10 line rental, free BB and £1.50 off my Variety pack = £36.50 pm. As I paid 12m line rental up front last year it's actually a £1.50 INCREASE on what I've been paying recently.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the phone and BB service from Sky but I don't like being held to ransom for not having TV with them so now looking to go with ee thru' MSE which should give my comparative phone and BB service to the Sky I'm currently getting.

TV-wise, Movies and Sports went ages ago and not been missed due to online content and other means of watching satellite - I have a VU+ solo clone and an old original Openbox.

Now that my TV pack will finish 18th Oct I have until then to make my mind up on a replacement STB for the living room that records.

Unless I can be advised otherwise, I think I'm going Freesat rather than Freeview and buy a Humax HDR-1000S.

Question is, are there any better alternatives to the Humax for similar money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best alternative to Sky?

i have a gigablue quad, i have fitted two DVB-C tuners (already has twin DVB-S tuners) and fitted a 1TB hdd - running vix image.

Thanks to tiggerbiker

chizh (17th September 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Those android tuners look interesting...you can load the footyreport app on them as well hook up the sat feed etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

XBMC would basically cover all your needs for any TV really. You could use your VU solo for freeview and just be done with it really. Maybe set up a small Acre Revo for all your xbmc needs. Also aren't talk talk doing £140 cashback through topcashback for a 1 year sub of fiber ? I know they were a few weeks ago so there is decent Internet deals going. Always ask to pay the super saver line rental up front as that saves 30-50 per year depending on company.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ee £132 upfront line rental, discounted £2.50pm for ADSL2 on 12m contract that's on offer to all. (MSE are have a link for £100 Amazon voucher for the same deal but you have to wait for 3 months to get the voucher so couldn't be arsed with that). Also got +10gig extra allowance of my daughter's 4g iphone account. So phone and BB all sorted bar a stonking deal coming up before the cooling off period expires.

Will have to check out the Gigablue in greater depth. Thanks tb. Have already read good things but not sure it's consumer level for the wife to operate!

DavidF, I have a N40L sat under the TV running Plex. Moved from XBMC a good while back. Wouldn't touch TalkTalk with a bargepole but have no reasons not to like them. Odd really. ( the Vu+ is already otherwise set up in the conservatory )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Managed to get a Humax Youview DTR-T1000 box off ebay for £11 delivered. Sold as parts only and without HDD/remote as it was stuck during boot so thought it was worth a punt. Cracked it open when it arrived to put a drive in to find a nice 1Tb Seagate already fitted. A quick google showed me how to factory reset/recover and update the box and I'm getting a proper remote today for £15.

Hopefully, I'll have a fully functioning Youview PVR for £26 by the end of today. Might then stick with Freeview and the trimmings of Youview for a while, rather than spend on the Freesat box.