Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Discovery Channel /History Channel....fucked.

The fuckers have sold out and have ruined the principles on which they were based. Discovery/History were always great resources for factual documentaries but now they're just another fucking TLC, E Entertainment trash channel now

Just in case you were dumb enough to think the shite they are coming out with in the last few years is actually real...

Discovery Is Becoming More And More Ridiculous With Its Fake Documentaries

• SEP. 18, 2014, 10:47 AM

Discovery Channel/Megalodon Lives
    Despite widespread backlash over fake documentaries, supposedly educational networks are turning to them more and more in efforts to net viewers and in the process are making people dumber.
    Last year's two-hour special on Discovery, called "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives," convinced 70% of viewers that the giant prehistoric shark still existed even as outraged scientists insisted that the show was ludicrous and almost entirely fictional. It didn't help that Discovery made coy comments about the documentary being a legitimate contribution to scientific debate.

This summer, Discovery followed it up with "Megalodon: The New Evidence," which became the highest-rated episode of Shark Week with 4.8 million viewers.
    The network recently also aired a fabricated documentary called "Shark of Darkness: Wrath of Submarine" and reportedly lied to scientists to get them to appear in another documentary, "Voodoo Sharks."
    The similarly bunk "Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives" aired on the channel in early June. The special follows a filmmaker as he researches footage apparently showing the deaths of nine hikers killed in 1959, but perhaps the bigger mystery is how the doomed hikers got access to a high-quality digital camcorder in the late '50s.

The Discovery Channel
    Discovery-owned channel Animal Planet has aired two other fake documentaries in recent years — replete with actors, fabricated events, CGI, and faked footage — which explore the apparently scientific evidence for mermaids.
    Although Animal Planet admitted in a subsequent press release that its "documentary" was science-fiction, the show presented itself as rigorously scientific.
    Many viewers seem to take them at their word, with children being especially vulnerable to deception.
    Despite mermaids being neither real animals nor existing on the planet, 3.6 million viewers watched the latest mermaid special, breaking all records for the channel.
    Not to be outdone in the field of fake science, The History Channel has also joined the trend of undermining its credibility, airing programs like "Nostradamus Effect," "Ancient Aliens," and "UFO Hunters" in recent years.

The History Channel
    Each documentary, across all the networks, inevitably contains X-Files-like references to cover-ups and official denials.
    Faking It

From mermaids to monster sharks, the Discovery Channel's fakes tend to follow a cookie cutter formula.
    Megalodon uses amateur footage, news reports of fatal attacks, and several interviews with shark experts to make its case. The crew bases its narrative on the research of marine biologist Collin Drake as he travels the world speaking about the shark and gathering evidence.
    But while the shark itself was real — swimming the oceans two million years ago — the same cannot be said for anything else in the special.
    The documentaries show "found footage" from a fatal attack off the South African coast that apparently left three people dead. It's fake; no such attacks took place.

The Discovery Channel

The documentaries show news reports from "3 News" in South Africa. It's fake; no such channel exists.

The Discovery Channel

The documentaries air photos from the Second World War showing the fin and tail of the shark next to a German U-boat.

The Discovery Channel

This image is an altered still from a historical video, which we tracked down online.

www.tarrif.net

An internet search for the world-renowned marine biologist Collin Drake only finds references to the documentary …

The Discovery Channel

… but IMDB reveals that he's actually the slightly less qualified actor Darron Meyer, although he did play a doctor in a 2010 sequel to "Free Willy."

IMDB
    The documentaries contain no disclaimers to inform viewers they're watching fiction, though some brief text shown at the start acknowledges that one or two scenes may have been "dramatized" — quite the understatement, unlikely to be of use to children, and totally useless to anyone who starts mid-show.
    The shark expert David Shiffman told National Geographic: "Discovery is a joke, with the megalodon fiasco only being a confirmation of what has been clear for some time."
    But despite many viewers (and scientists) voicing their anger at the Discovery Channel, the network stands by its fabrication.
    Claiming there was legitimate scientific debate, the Shark Week producer Michael Sorensen told Fox News: "The stories have been out there for years, and with 95% of the ocean unexplored, who really knows?"
    Marine biologists seem to know, and they haven't been quiet about it.
    Schiffman told National Geographic: "Discovery bills itself as the premier science education television station in the world, and they're perpetuating this utter nonsense."
    Indeed, much to the Discovery Channel's disappointment, every expert who has commented on either documentary agrees the Megalodon went extinct roughly 1.5 million years ago.
    If there were any actual scientific debate, the Discovery Channel probably wouldn't have needed to doctor footage, fake news reports, and pay actors to play "scientific experts."
    Business Insider reached out to History and Discovery for comment on these criticisms but did not receive a response.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/disco...#ixzz3Djx5jvdo
    Last edited by cyprus; 19th September 2014 at 05:11 PM.

7 Thanks given to cyprus

CallmeGoose (19th September 2014),  elephantsoup (19th September 2014),  greens117 (19th September 2014),  lagigolo (19th September 2014),  Nathz29 (19th September 2014),  steiff1 (19th September 2014),  WotTheFook (19th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Discovery Channel /History Channel....fucked.

I read somewhere that Shark week was helping to decrease the numbers of sharks, by spreading panic and encouraging culls. Must be in America though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's sad that there are fake shows like this but with the likes of lizard lick towing and storage wars aimed at the brain dead Americans that think it's real unfortunately we are set for more of the same .

i used to watch gold rush till the totally false robery and trying to make stupid story lines to sell the show

Thanks
    Karma Level

What pisses me off is that they have shows with interesting themes and topics but completely ruin them by focusing more on the "personalities" who in turn follow a piss poor script. The "character's" reactions, personas and arguments are faker than fucking WWF.

I like seeing auction shows, I am interested in what gems can be found in an abandoned storage locker, I do like seeing what interesting stuff can show up in a pawn shop BUT FUCK ME THEY COMPLETELY RUIN THE CONCEPT BY HAVING THESE UTTER CUNTS "Acting Out".

Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought I posted a video on here about how Shark Week was fake but can't seem to find it. Very annoying that the integrity of the channels is being compromised by fake shows.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    ...I am interested in what gems can be PLANTED BY THE PRODUCERS in an abandoned storage locker...
    Still, I watch them with the missus because it's entertaining ...and Brandi is FAF!!

Thanks to DejaVu

cyprus (19th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Still, I watch them with the missus because it's entertaining ...and Brandi is FAF!!
    Almost missed your link. Here it is for others to see.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-star-storag...c-news-tv.html

What utter bastards.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They defended themselves, somehow, but when a member of their own cast is slamming it, I can't see there being much of a defense to be honest.
    But I suppose, it is America. Any useless excuse would do.

--edit
    AND Hester is now back in the cast! RAOFL!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Corse its fake I never been in a garage where you can sort of make out whats in there and it is all related to the same sort of thing.

Oh look theres something that looks like a fire extinguisher so the thing under the tarpaulin must be a fire engine? Blah Blaaaaaah

Thanks to akimba

DejaVu (19th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    They defended themselves, somehow, but when a member of their own cast is slamming it, I can't see there being much of a defense to be honest.
    But I suppose, it is America. Any useless excuse would do.

--edit
    AND Hester is now back in the cast! RAOFL!
    I really wish they would bring Barry back. And fire Dave again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its history for the x-factor generation. Be told how to think stay in the box believe what we tell you be a good consumer unit.

Sad days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They lost a lot of viewers when they binned American chopper. The worst acting is on that shit Big rig bounty hunters.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.