Digital Camera + Underwater < £250

Thread: Digital Camera + Underwater < £250

BigBrand said:

Default Digital Camera + Underwater < £250

Evening all.

Any recommendations for a Digital Camera that also works underwater?

I've got max £250 to spend and it's going to the Dominican for 2 weeks.

I really can only do it from Amazon, as I have £150 vouchers from there, so any makes to avoid?

This is what I'm picking at the moment:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

TheFincher said:

Default Re: Digital Camera + Underwater < £250

You looked at the GoPro's mate?

BigBrand said:

No I've not to be honest, I wasn't really sure if that's what we wanted. As I want to use it as a digital camera aswell, so never looked at them.

WRATH OF BOD said:

gopro 3 white edition with waterproof housing £199, cracking pics & video, no rear screen but you can buy it as an addon
    Professional video + photo quality.

The HERO3: White Edition captures high-quality 1080p30, 960p30 and 720p60 video and 5MP photos at up to 3 frames per second. Time Lapse mode lets you capture a series of photos at 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 second intervals.
    - See more at: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

ADD ON TOUCH SCREEN £79
    http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories/lcd-touch-bacpac/ALCDB-304.html#/start=1

amazon

reverend said:

You could buy a wide lens Mobius with JooVuu underwater case for £60 and then spend the rest of your stuff on a decent point and shoot for the normal pics?

Last edited by reverend; 24th September 2014 at 09:48 PM.

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    gopro 3 white edition with waterproof housing £199, cracking pics & video, no rear screen but you can buy it as an addon
    Professional video + photo quality.

The HERO3: White Edition captures high-quality 1080p30, 960p30 and 720p60 video and 5MP photos at up to 3 frames per second. Time Lapse mode lets you capture a series of photos at 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 second intervals.
    - See more at: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

ADD ON TOUCH SCREEN £79
    http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories/lcd-touch-bacpac/ALCDB-304.html#/start=1

amazon

Thanks for that buddy, I think truth be told if I was going to buy a GoPro I'd probably spend a bit more and go for the GoPro3 Black Edition +. Seems the price difference is probably worth paying for that. Although perhaps not for what I'm wanting, as I'd need the camera as a normal digital camera also for when it's not in the water.

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    You could buy a wide lens Mobius with JooVuu underwater case for £60 and then spend the rest of your stuff on a decent point and shoot for the normal pics?

That looks pretty cool, I might look into that, as that I'd be able to use the rest to buy a decent digital camera for normal use. I would like to have some images under the water, so not sure if you'll be able to screenshot from that video or to take images with it, which may mean it's not suitable.

Edit: Saying that I've just watched some more videos of it underwater and the video looks good enough to take screens from. And the specs do say it's capable of taking images also.

This looks like a winner to be honest!

Edit x2. Looking more at this again it appears you can get one of those stick things for it, for holding it at length, that's pretty cool. Seeing as we're doing snorkeling etc might be pretty cool to use then.
    Last edited by BigBrand; 25th September 2014 at 07:44 AM.

reverend said:

It actually has a camera mode mate - basically two video modes and a picture mode. It defaults to video mode 1 (yellow LED), you can press the mode button to change to video mode 2 (blue LED) and then red LED is photo mode where it just takes normal pictures. It's only a 3Mp sensor in there though.

I usually have video mode 1 as normal 1080p video and mode 2 set for timelapses.

The only drawback is that you have to configure it on your PC but once you've configured it up the first time for the two video modes you're good and to be honest it takes less than a few mins anyway Here's a vid of the config tool mSetup:

There is also the SJ4000 out there by SJCAM which is basically a blatant copy of the Gopro and that's more expensive (still <£100) as it tends to work with the accessories for that, but is the same hardware inside as the Mobius.

Here's a couple of timelapses I tried:

BigBrand said:

ah right get you. Well I think my mind is made up and I'm going for the wide angle action camera with the waterproof case. I'm borrowing a friends normal digital camera for other pictures so should be good with the two

Did you do that time-lapse with the Mobius or SJ 4000?

reverend said:

They're all with the Mobius mate, I never got around to picking up an SJ4000!

TJB said:

I've got one of these... [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It's perfectly fine shooting underwater. Not great in poor light though.

CallmeGoose said:

im thinking of biuying the mobius too, let me know what you think of it BigBrand

BigBrand said:

Will do, buying it tonight. So will post a review up next week when I get some testing together.

BigBrand said:

Bought it tonight, along with the waterproof case, and a monopod stick too.

Didn't have any spare memory cards, so bought a couple of 32GB and a 16 class 10 cards. Look forward to testing it out. I live on a marina, and be interesting if when I shove it in the water there to see if I can pick anything up.

BigBrand said:

Gay, bought the standard lense version, wanted the wider angle. I've cancelled the order, and going to reorder from JooVuu with £56 which is decent.Lots on Ebay for similar, but reports of fakes and take weeks to arrive.

CallmeGoose said:

is that £56 all in including the waterproof case?

BigBrand said:

I paid 56 for the Mobius and 15 for the case.

BigBrand said:

Oh and after watching loads of videos I've also bought the SJ4000. I couldn't resist. Going to play with both and send one back.

CallmeGoose said:

big spender ;-p let us know what one you think is best

blacksheep said:

How deep are you planning to go would be my first question - theres a big difference to a camera I'd take in a pool/snorkelling to one I'd dive with.