Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting old.

Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Getting old.

Well, I have in my house a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii and of course the obligatory PC. So what fantastic games am I playing?

I'm playing Impossible Mission by Epyx on a C64 emulator.

I have come to the decision to that I need to throw all that new stuff i the bin and just play old 8-bit games.

Anyone else have a house full of tech and find themselves drawn back to the old stuff time and time again?

I fucking miss the old days. The new stuff is great, but sometimes the awesome graphics and sound just piss me off and I yearn for Spelunker, Karateka or a bit of classic Boulderdash.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Getting old.

I have found that I dont use my Xbox any more (well two evenings this year) I just play games on my iPad or iPhone, not quite the same I know but I cant see myself buying another console.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks to ss30

crazyal (6th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i always go back to the cant resist a quick go on Streets of Rage, Sonic, Alex Kidd, Wonderboy etc.
    at the moment im building up my Neo Geo collection - far too expensive when i was younger but now i can just about start
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

2 Thanks given to Mystical_2K

crazyal (6th October 2014),  lithho (2nd February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, agreed.

At one point recently I was playing Final Fight on my Xbox, Super Mario 3 on my 3DS and Alex Kidd on this Sega handheld thing I've got. The new Call of Duty and Zelda games weren't getting a look in

Thanks to flumperino

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks like I'm not as alone as I thought I was then, lol. Although I love the new stuff, some of it standing out higher than the rest in my opinion (The Last Of Us), I still feel the need for all the old stuff which I could never leave behind fully. Stuff I've played recently:

Mame: Super Sprint, Gauntlet II, Galaga, BomberJack and Star Wars.

C64: Impossible Mission, Summer Games II, Xenon 2 and Boulderdash
    800XL: Ballblazer, Spelunker, Stealth

Although graphically & sonically these and titles like them hold nothing against the games of today, they were a part of my youth and shall never be forgotten.

Well....until VR gets to the point that I am literally standing in a room full of romping page 3 totty.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with this!
    I have an OUYA with emulators as well as actual 8bit and 16bit hardware.

I'm a sucker for buying carts and consoles off ebay on my lunch.

I have a 360 but I don't have the time to sit through intros and loading.. On the SNES however it is pick up and play! I do prefer the actual hardware but emulators are good for saving snapshots and action replays can be fun for training the games.

I am interested in the Retron 5 should it ever get release in Europe with the current delays..

Thanks to Squizza

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Looks like I'm not as alone as I thought I was then, lol. Although I love the new stuff, some of it standing out higher than the rest in my opinion (The Last Of Us), I still feel the need for all the old stuff which I could never leave behind fully. Stuff I've played recently:

Mame: Super Sprint, Gauntlet II, Galaga, BomberJack and Star Wars.

C64: Impossible Mission, Summer Games II, Xenon 2 and Boulderdash
    800XL: Ballblazer, Spelunker, Stealth

Although graphically & sonically these and titles like them hold nothing against the games of today, they were a part of my youth and shall never be forgotten.

Well....until VR gets to the point that I am literally standing in a room full of romping page 3 totty.
    sod VR mate, i have managed to get hold of one of the new Oculus Rift Development Kits http://www.oculus.com/dk2/
    and if that is the future of Gaming, they can keep it - never felt so sick in my life - we got them through work and have to develop something for them but i tried out a couple of apps and anything moving makes my brain go backwards

however their are some modern gems that I will say have impressed me:

Red Dead Redemption is a stunning example of an open world game - plus you get to be a cowboy! - yeehah!
    Grand Theft Auto 5 - another amazing open world game
    Aliens Colonial Marines - shocking game for single player - some fun to be had in multiplayer
    Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 - Mindless shooting at its absolute best
    Dead Island - a good attempt at a zombie game - some flaws but fun to play

to name a few but somehow i will always go back to the classics:

NES - Mario Series - Duck Tales - Duck Hunt
    SNES - Street Fighter, Mario World, Bugs bunny
    N64 - Goldeneye, Donkey Kong, Mario 64
    CPC464 - Spannerman, Harrier attack
    Master System - Alex Kidd series, sonic
    Mega Drive - Goldenaxe, Quackshot, Altered Beast, Moonwalker, Paperboy, Sonic Series, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, Wonder boy in Monster World etc.

the list goes on and on - finding time to play them is usually my problem
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

Thanks
    Karma Level

You old bastards
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ashley (25th January 2015),  crazyal (6th October 2014),  GTI (24th January 2015),  Mystical_2K (6th October 2014),  tips (6th October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

get shovel knight guys, amazing game and full of retro nostalgia.

Thanks to {{909}}

Mystical_2K (6th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

listening to the newer version of Thalamusic which c64 fans will recognise from the game Sanxion

im 41 and still love this tune

old bassa signing in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--x91vOY5U

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    You old bastards
    BUWAHAHAH! Love it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    You old bastards
    im 31 ffs! - im a young old bastard!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigfergie73 View Post
    listening to the newer version of Thalamusic which c64 fans will recognise from the game Sanxion
    I quite often fire up Sidplay to listen to the old C64 tunes. Rob Hubbard was the dogs bolx.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The old games are the best. I get drawn back to Wonder boy 3 (SMS), Donkey Kong (Arcade), Crime Fighters (Arcade), Gargoyles Quest (GB).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a 360 gathering dust. GTA games seem the only game that would draw me in again, which is why they are console sellers. I just wish someone makes an update to a classic called Syndicate, made by Bullfrog in the early 90's. Found this to describe it;
    About: In the dark and twisted cities of tomorrow, corporate syndicates compete for global dominance. But the boardroom deals and corporate takeovers of the future look very different from today: they are lead by marketing directors who manage teams of half-men, half-machine cyborgs with no conscience and plenty of guns.
    You are an ambitious marketing director in the Syndicate, hand-picked to lead a team of cyborg mercenaries. You work in the problem-solving department and you are damn good at "taking care" of problems. Some might say that violence is not the answer but you know better. There here are hardly any problems that you can't solve with a well-placed bullet. Collateral damage in the local population and infrastructure during the “negotiations” is, as always, acceptable. After all, what would you expect form the dystopian futuristic world run by mega-corporations?
    Syndicate is Bullfrog’s masterpiece of a game in which you aren’t saving the world or protecting innocents. You just make sure that your employers get what they want. At your disposal are four cyborg agents, an impressive arsenal of weapons and gadgets, and a massive selection of cybernetic upgrades. You are free to unleash this power on a highly interactive map where you can blow up buildings, steal cars, light trees on fire, or just shoot stuff. Produced by Peter Molyneux himself, Syndicate is the essence of cyberpunk and, with its great music, stylized visuals, and mind-blowing atmosphere, it has earned its place among the best games of all time. Make sure to check out the game that secured Bullfrog's place in game development hall of fame.

One of very few games to have made it onto almost every “Best Game of All Time” list.
    Amazing level of immersion created by smooth gameplay, intense music, fantastic sound effects, and stylized cyberpunk visuals. More than 50 missions that include extraction, extermination, and (forced) persuasion.

Now that is what I want a game to be. If someone gets this with an update to the visuals on istore I'd be well pleased! Live in hope

Thanks
    Karma Level

I loved the simple gameplay of quake and unreal, even mohaa was easy, fluid and fun, I now still have a play
    on these and was in need of some new game to play that was along the lines of these easy fun shooters.

and I now have one, garden warefare seems to hark back to the simple days, fun shooters don't have to be
    technical, loaded with options or be realistic, "made by soldiers for soldiers" has just sarcastically shouted inside
    my head.

games are for fun and as I get older the games seem to look superb and be all they can be, but its too much
    and so like many of you I mostly hark back to the classics or just don't bother.

cant see me ever owning another console, handhelds are to teeny for my bottle bottoms but a pc will always
    be there for some gameplay as we will always have one in the house mainly for other uses.

I am going to try a VR headset though before I totally chuck in the towel, the gamer is still inside me but it
    needs something to tease it out, it has to be simple controls and fun, never gonna happen though is it lol.

as for even older stuff I do love an hour or 2 on sor2 and still play toejam and earl, mame is great for the
    arcade of yesteryear but I have also found I am losing interest in that as well.

when I retire I will sit and play ghosts n goblins until I finish it, it has been my nemesis for years and I want
    my revenge.
    Last edited by wakadoo; 24th January 2015 at 12:20 PM.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

You guys remind me of a video I saw the other day

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

DJ OD (24th January 2015),  wakadoo (24th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

fookin superb..

5:39 - 5:50 make really laugh and then they were all well into it.

nice one BB.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dainese View Post
    Got a 360 gathering dust. GTA games seem the only game that would draw me in again, which is why they are console sellers. I just wish someone makes an update to a classic called Syndicate, made by Bullfrog in the early 90's. Found this to describe it;
    About: In the dark and twisted cities of tomorrow, corporate syndicates compete for global dominance. But the boardroom deals and corporate takeovers of the future look very different from today: they are lead by marketing directors who manage teams of half-men, half-machine cyborgs with no conscience and plenty of guns.
    You are an ambitious marketing director in the Syndicate, hand-picked to lead a team of cyborg mercenaries. You work in the problem-solving department and you are damn good at "taking care" of problems. Some might say that violence is not the answer but you know better. There here are hardly any problems that you can't solve with a well-placed bullet. Collateral damage in the local population and infrastructure during the “negotiations” is, as always, acceptable. After all, what would you expect form the dystopian futuristic world run by mega-corporations?
    Syndicate is Bullfrog’s masterpiece of a game in which you aren’t saving the world or protecting innocents. You just make sure that your employers get what they want. At your disposal are four cyborg agents, an impressive arsenal of weapons and gadgets, and a massive selection of cybernetic upgrades. You are free to unleash this power on a highly interactive map where you can blow up buildings, steal cars, light trees on fire, or just shoot stuff. Produced by Peter Molyneux himself, Syndicate is the essence of cyberpunk and, with its great music, stylized visuals, and mind-blowing atmosphere, it has earned its place among the best games of all time. Make sure to check out the game that secured Bullfrog's place in game development hall of fame.

One of very few games to have made it onto almost every “Best Game of All Time” list.
    Amazing level of immersion created by smooth gameplay, intense music, fantastic sound effects, and stylized cyberpunk visuals. More than 50 missions that include extraction, extermination, and (forced) persuasion.

Now that is what I want a game to be. If someone gets this with an update to the visuals on istore I'd be well pleased! Live in hope
    Syndicate was remade

http://www.ea.com/uk/syndicate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah, that is a 1st person shooter unlike the original. Some Aussies look like they are developing a predecessor called Satellite Reign. I hoping it might later be available on a console or iOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks