Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Phantom 2 QuadCopter

Guys,

I've not had the chance to fly mine yet due to weather but does anyone on DF fly one, have any tips, advice etc.

Let us know.

Laters

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Phantom 2 QuadCopter

I think there's a few of us on here now with phantoms. They are great copters, make sure you read the instructions (for starters if you don't you'll spend 15 minutes wondering how to start the thing up without knowing the secret stick position ).

I always make sure I compass-calibrate mine before every single flight, you probably don't need to but I feel safer doing so, especially after reading so many fly-away stories (there was one on here too). Don't fly near anything that could interfere with the transmitter signal (power lines etc.). And when starting always fly in GPS mode.

Other than that you can't really go wrong, they are superb quads, really easy to fly and great fun.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks to _Belial

JonEp (27th October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd buy a cheap tracker for peace of mind. Had mine about a year now and apart from a bit shaking from the gimbal (3rd party one not dji's) and a bit hassle from one of the android app updates its been flawless. I'm still flying in vision (gps) mode as it does what I want it to do and see no point in changing to naza mode as this seems to be the mode most fly aways occure. Try not to fly in built up areas especially while on your learning curve and I think its against the rules to do so anyway, although I have flown above my own street a few times.
    Weather is a bitch at the moment, took mine to the Lake district last week and didn't get it out once due to rain or wind. It does worry me a bit leaving the lipo batteries for so long without a power cycle but nothing much I can really do about it tbh.
    Do you have a camera on yours? If so remember to share the videos on here, I always like seeing other peoples vids.

Above all I would just say go out and enjoy and don't get too afraid to fly it, I still aint been over water yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always be 100% sure it as GPS lock before lifting off and once up and you feel your losing control just let go of the sticks and try and regain what direction its is facing.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys.

Try and get my head around setting the gps and home mode loads of videos out there for us newbies.

I did take it up behind my house fiat play area but took off ok, swung in the wind and came crashing down and that was the end of a short test flight.

Thought the camera came on as soon as the chopper started so I no video so I presume you have to turn on the Hero3 first then?

Anyway thanks all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    make sure you read the instructions (for starters if you don't you'll spend 15 minutes wondering how to start the thing up without knowing the secret stick position ).
    FFS I spent 2 hours and sent shitty emails to the retailer, posted YouTube vids of bootup on forums. Only to have to RTFM and learn the secret stick position!!!!

The major hoop is to be confidant that you can fly the thing. It's a lot of money to wrap around a tree cause you haven't figured out the up knob.

My advice would be to go to the park and keep the flight level relatively low, not so low your giving hair cuts but 20 feet and get the feel of the way you control it.

It will all click into place and then you can get crazy. But remember to pair and turn the Hero on !! I've done so great flights only to discover I have no footage as the camera was off in one case had no SD card Dooooh ...