Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

result This is why I buy Apple computers

Apart from loving the designs and the os, I walked into an Apple store today as my Macbook pro had gone faulty. Part of the screen had gone corrupt.

A quick check of google and the Apple forums revealed this wasn't a common issue and not one of Apple's recalls, plus my MacBook was out of warranty by 10 months. I expected a hefty bill.

The guy took one look, hooked it up to their diagnostic machine (it passed all the system checks) and said "I'm sorry this has happened, we will get it sorted out for you".

I was expecting to pay out a few hundred quid for the (retina) screen (the cheapest one on ebay is about £280) and the invoice they have given me shows it would have been 254 plus 24 quid labour, but the bottom of the repair docket says zero charge due to fault believed to have been present since manufacture.

Very relieved and very happy.

malty
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

4 Thanks given to maltloaf

Ashley (1st November 2014),  neilcritc (1st November 2014),  supraman54 (17th August 2015),  TIN CAN (15th August 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: This is why I buy Apple computers

Well I cracked my 15" retina and it cost me £430+24+VAT to get it fixed.
    The apple HDMI adaptor had snagged on the corner of the display when shutting it - so was user error.

Then they refused to order the part and call me, i had to leave it with them for a week; shit service IMHO.

I was not impressed !

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

After having worked at an Apple Store behind the Genius Bar for the last 4 years (I no longer work there) there has been a big shift with dealing with EU Consumer Law Claims

Happened around this time last year, and as far as I am aware, you are technically covered for 5 years (6 in Scotland) but only if you purchase from Apple (Online or In Store)

Now OFFICIALLY you need to prove that the fault was there from manufacture and it doesn't cover consumable parts like the battery, but as long as its within 5(6) years and is in good condition (no signs of accidental damage or mis treating of the device) you should be covered.

All the Genius has to do is go plead your case to a manager to get approval, and in my experience, 99% of the time the Managers are too busy doing admin stuff or dealing with a shitty customer to even listen to the issue and grant the claim.

Now I have not worked for Apple sine January this year so things might have changed a little (in fact I can guarantee it) but you should still get cover.

In fact, Apple have all the information about the EU Consumer Law on their website http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Thanks

Scottio

Thanks to Scottio200

supraman54 (17th August 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My experience was opposite, they gave me the option of telling me when the part had arrived so I could take it back in but I chose to leave it with them as about 40 mins drive away.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I met the manager and he told me, your fault, you pay.
    Even tho when you unplug the APPLE adaptor it naturaly springs up and can catch the lid.

I have a business account with apple and spend over 5k a year on hardware alone, I know its not a massive amount but still more than most.

Personally I think the manager there is a total CUNT, he could have at least ordered the part and let me keep the machine until it was in store, I even offered to pay up front.

oE

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scottio200 View Post
    After having worked at an Apple Store behind the Genius Bar for the last 4 years (I no longer work there) there has been a big shift with dealing with EU Consumer Law Claims

Happened around this time last year, and as far as I am aware, you are technically covered for 5 years (6 in Scotland) but only if you purchase from Apple (Online or In Store)

Now OFFICIALLY you need to prove that the fault was there from manufacture and it doesn't cover consumable parts like the battery, but as long as its within 5(6) years and is in good condition (no signs of accidental damage or mis treating of the device) you should be covered.

All the Genius has to do is go plead your case to a manager to get approval, and in my experience, 99% of the time the Managers are too busy doing admin stuff or dealing with a shitty customer to even listen to the issue and grant the claim.

Now I have not worked for Apple sine January this year so things might have changed a little (in fact I can guarantee it) but you should still get cover.

In fact, Apple have all the information about the EU Consumer Law on their website http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Thanks

Scottio
    He examined the casing carefully and said it's obviously not mistreated or dented etc so they would grant it.

Funny you should mention the consumer law thing, they were explaining that
    to the bloke next to me but explained because he hadn't bought his 18 month old iPhone from Apple direct he needed to go to the retailer. They said if he had bought it from Apple within 2 years he would be covered.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I had £1 every time someone pulled the "I Spend xxxx on Apple gear, this should be covered" I would be retired before I reach 30

Honestly they don't care how much you spend on Apple products, as they have to treat everybody equally no matter if they have purchased a £5 cable or a £2.5k Mac Pro

What happens is the Managers are there to back up the Genius behind the bar, as the Managers have 0 technical knowledge and are there to Manage the staff, not fixMac's.

As for not ordering the parts before hand, that is strange, as we used to always encourage it, due to space limitations in the repair room.

Just for the record, I have never seen a display adaptor "sing up" and hit the lid of a mac when unplugging it, and I have been repairing Mac's for 8 years now. Sounds like you got unlucky when unplugging yours, or your pulling the cable and not the connector to disconnect it?

Scottio

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah thats right, if its less than 2 years its replaced without question, between 2-5 it is supposed to be proven to be a manufacture fault

I can remember so many iPhone customers being told from their retailer (o2 in particular) that Consumer Law does not exist and Apple are fobbing them off haha

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My experiences have always been just like Maltloaf's
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always have had top class service from Apple, and its one of the things that keeps me loyal.
    I don't want to send my phone off to the Netherlands or Ireland and wait two weeks, I want it fixed or replaced there and then if the fault is theirs.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mixed bag for me Apple wise, but still miles ahead of any PC laptop or desktop scenario for me and i ran 4 PC shops for 5 years

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of many reasons I wouldn't consider owning an Apple:

Having to meet someone at the lowest end of the scale of IT workers whose relevant skills probably are a tiny fraction of what I possess but having to refer to them as a Genius.

Jobs was a genius as was Wozniak. If those guys in the shops were genuises, they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have never had a problem with any laptop I've owned. Not in 20 years of PC ownership.

My mum had an ipod that didn't work out of the box. Apple weren't interested as she bought it through Amazon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scottio200 View Post

Thanks

Scottio
    close - under 6 months the supplier needs to prove fault, after 6 months buyer does.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a 2013 MBP and only recently found out about Apple's policy for repairs. I didn't buy mine from Apple so I'm hoping I don't have any problems but it never leaves the house and is very well looked after so the only thing that could really go wrong would be defects.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

We have 32 21"imacs in a computer suite at school, one developed a hardware fault suspected hd.
    Rang apple for repair costs knowing it was 8mths out of warranty only to be told to speak with our supplier as its covered under EU law, but must go through the retailer.
    Having jumped a few hoops with the retailer they buckled and had the unit repaired.

From now on we are buying direct from apple knowing you get great aftersales support.

Ps. has anyone removed one of the bonded imac screens ? quiet easy really and once opened its like wtf there is nothing inside tiny board small PS and speakers either side.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been back to Mac completely for nearly seven years, before that I had a MacBook for outside use. I took delivery of my 27" 5k iMac last Weds and it's brilliant, after sales is the best (Maybe second to John Lewis) I'll get Applecare as usual and get 3 yrs. of peace of mind but I've had free repairs done outside of Warranty before. Very hard to beat them in any area at all.
    Oh and I got £800 for my 2011, 27" iMac, not quit the base model but with the better graphic card and 3.1 processor but they really hold their value.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Ashley (17th August 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I've been back to Mac completely for nearly seven years, before that I had a MacBook for outside use. I took delivery of my 27" 5k iMac last Weds and it's brilliant, after sales is the best (Maybe second to John Lewis) I'll get Applecare as usual and get 3 yrs. of peace of mind but I've had free repairs done outside of Warranty before. Very hard to beat them in any area at all.
    Oh and I got £800 for my 2011, 27" iMac, not quit the base model but with the better graphic card and 3.1 processor but they really hold their value.
    Apple willfully ignored EU laws for years until they got sued in italy, I still haven't managed to get them to change a charger cable yet..

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/e...ranty-3348755/
    VIP WOOP !

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They are so cash rich that they can afford to just replace stuff which in turn gives them amazing publicity and that results in more purchases of their overpriced kit which keeps the circle going, a bit like amazon who accept almost all returns with no hassle. Apple design is second to none and the materials are really good too so there is added value to warrant the extra cost, I just don't like the OS (except iOS).