Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Should I go bankrupt?

Tj I hope you have changed your bank account by now.......every day counts mate. It only takes a few mins to do. As for the wife being on the same joint account - They will probably go after her too for that BUT - She is on benefits for one so can't pick up the tab and if the worst comes then both of you can quite easily go bankrupt. I personally would get the alternative bank sorted out TODAY and then you can arrange for all your benefits to be paid into that account over the next few weeks. Monitor your new account to make sure ALL the benefits are getting paid in there (Few weeks)...then just empty whatever you can out of the overdrawn account and start the process of declaring yourself bankrupt. It is going to cost you £525 per person.....but you wont have to pay the other £185 court fee as your are both on benefits.
    I "think" you can even use a credit card to pay for the bankruptcy......(You can research this point on money saving expert or consumer action group).
    As stated before good luck with it all. Have fun telling your creditors to get off your back. Keep us all informed especially if you need any help or advice.

2 Thanks given to DavidF

Mobileman (11th February 2015),  Teajunkie (11th February 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bank account advice is sound and the first thing my Practitioner told me, I got a simple cash account from NatWest, debit card, ATM etc. just no overdraft. You can tgoughif you are i a hurry use a paid account like CardOne until you can organise it.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Teajunkie (11th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    The debt was written off years ago and my credit profile now is awesome. So as far as I'm concerned, for the £2.5k they think I owe from yesteryear, they can sing as loud as they like.
    Send them this letter (from Money Advice site)
    I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any other company or organisation that you claim to be representing.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No:

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

"an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

I would point out that in their Debt Collection Guidance, the OFT regard the following unfair or improper business practice for a creditor to:
    • Pursue the debt under circumstances in which the debtor has heard nothing from a creditor during the relevant limitation period.
    • Continue to press a debtor for payment after he has stated that he will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred.

The last acknowledgement or payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or signed written acknowledgement from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully
    -----------------------------------------------------

I sent that to a company that were chasing me for ages and got a reply from them saying the were only asking me for the money from a morality stand point and that I should have the morals to pay back a debt but they agreed no more contact and no more letter ;-)

Thanks to akimba

Teajunkie (11th February 2015)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12