Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

I was going to post a discussion between hypervisors like hyper v and VMware's Workstation, but I am not quite sure which section this would go in, and then thought you have plenty of sections about the client OS, and none on Servers or Virtualization, is the cause there is no need or not enough use to warrant it, or is it just no one has brought it up before?

What are the chances that such s section(s) might be an option?

Martin

Thanks to MartinC

evilsatan (15th April 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

I think with the growing popularity of microservers it would be a good idea to have a server section for members to discuss what they have accomplished as well as help others. I am mid-build of my new microserver, just sorting out an HP P222 RAID controller for it then I will be trying ESXi for the first time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If there will be easy to follow guides I'm well up for that

i dont know know the first thing about all that esxi or hypervisors???
    i run a simple xpenology microserver and would love to know more about different options and setups.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can someone tell me what a hyper visor and all this stuff is and does? I thought it was a post about Star Trek from the tapastalk preview [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Can someone tell me what a hyper visor and all this stuff is and does? I thought it was a post about Star Trek from the tapastalk preview [emoji15]

A Hypervisor is used for virtualisation, there are 2 types, type 1 is used in place of an Operating system, and a type 2 install on an existing operating system. type 1 is far better for control and management, and by far is better use of the hardware, but sometimes it is more convenient to use a type 2, and not all hardware will support type 1.

Once you have your Hypervisor you can then create virtual machines (VM's) to install in most cases most types of operating systems, that share the hardware the Hypervisor is installed on.

Very common for business to use for making use of all the hardware in a specific server and also major benefits for resilience and management.

Hope that helps explain, more than happy to answer any questions you have, and also more than happy to help with looking after the section on the forum related to this.

Martin

Thanks to MartinC

Ashley (15th April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
    A Hypervisor is used for virtualisation, there are 2 types, type 1 is used in place of an Operating system, and a type 2 install on an existing operating system. type 1 is far better for control and management, and by far is better use of the hardware, but sometimes it is more convenient to use a type 2, and not all hardware will support type 1.

Once you have your Hypervisor you can then create virtual machines (VM's) to install in most cases most types of operating systems, that share the hardware the Hypervisor is installed on.

Very common for business to use for making use of all the hardware in a specific server and also major benefits for resilience and management.

Hope that helps explain, more than happy to answer any questions you have, and also more than happy to help with looking after the section on the forum related to this.

Martin
    Thank you for the explanation, I use VMware on my Mac to run windows, is this just the same but more aimed at system admins and such?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, I use VMware on my Mac to run windows, is this just the same but more aimed at system admins and such?

The vmware software your talking about is called fusion I believe, I have to be honest I
    know very little about Apple MAC's but this is a type 2 hypervisor as it is installed on an existing operating system (what ever that is called on a MAC).

They are not always related to business, it can be used just like in your situation a way to use a different operating system on an existing computer/laptop cause something's will not work on both or you have a preference to one over the other.

Developers or even a geek who wants play with different operating systems but don't have access or money to get more different hardware to run the various operating systems.

I hope that answers your question.

martin

Thanks to MartinC

Ashley (15th April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Martin that's great. I might have a play with it on my old microserver