Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Songs / music videos with a story or a message...suggestions please...

I'm currently working on a series of classes that explore the brain and our interpretation of information from different media. I want to cover music preferably with some examples of tracks with a video and some without.

Off the top of my head I really cant think of any examples of tracks that would stand up in the classroom. I want to be able to play a track or video and let the kids interpret it how ever they want, so it doesn't have to be obvious what the narrative is.

can anyone make some suggestions? Kids range between 13 and 17, so it has to be relatively clean, definitely no direct drug references but some bad language could be ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Songs / music videos with a story or a message...suggestions please...

When I saw the title, I first thought of Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique, then I read the rest of the post!!!

Off the top of my head mate..

1. Eminem - How to Love

Story of a bullied school kid, from a broken home. eventually has the courage to fight back and stand up to them, who then leave him alone.

May be a bit hardcore thought.

2. Tracey Chapman - Behind the wall

Harrowing in it's live accapella version. About domestic abuse as witnessed by a neighbour.

3. Rod Stewart - Here to Eternity

Beautiful song, for those who know it, already know the story on this one. No video again I'm afraid.

4. Richard Marx - Hazard

Fascinating song and video. I don't think he killed her by way.

5. Xzibit - Thank You (Live On Letterman version)

A RAP song, which doesn't feature one swear word, is done live, with a full brass orchestra behind him. Brilliant story about cashing in and taking advantage of when you're on top, to provide for your family against the struggles you experienced.

6. Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue

Fucking no commentary needed on that one. I SAID HOW DO YOU DO!

7. Eminem - Stan

Another rap, although this features an interesting story of an obsessed fan, who ultimately takes his life, along with his partner and unborn child. By the time the "last letter" that is sent to Eminem is read out during the song, it's already happened, and he's actually reading his suicide note..

8. Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen

No words needed, but a great story of a love triangle, between lovers, killers...

9. Michael Jackson - Earth Song

Song to bring to light the destruction of humans on this planet, and how much people can make a difference, both in a positive and negative.

10. Macklemore - Wings

Song about life and materialistic things, that you have, or don't have and what it really means.

11. The Script - I'm Yours

A man who feels lesser when compared to his ultimate love, but always offers the support that he belongs to his partner, and that he is their all, in what ever capacity he is viewed in.

Thanks to BigBrand

Ashley (19th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Songs / music videos with a story or a message...suggestions please...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    When I saw the title, I first thought of Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique, then I read the rest of the post!!!

Off the top of my head mate..

1. Eminem - How to Love

Story of a bullied school kid, from a broken home. eventually has the courage to fight back and stand up to them, who then leave him alone.

May be a bit hardcore thought.

2. Tracey Chapman - Behind the wall

Harrowing in it's live accapella version. About domestic abuse as witnessed by a neighbour.

3. Rod Stewart - Here to Eternity

Beautiful song, for those who know it, already know the story on this one. No video again I'm afraid.

4. Richard Marx - Hazard

Fascinating song and video. I don't think he killed her by way.

5. Xzibit - Thank You (Live On Letterman version)

A RAP song, which doesn't feature one swear word, is done live, with a full brass orchestra behind him. Brilliant story about cashing in and taking advantage of when you're on top, to provide for your family against the struggles you experienced.

6. Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue

Fucking no commentary needed on that one. I SAID HOW DO YOU DO!

7. Eminem - Stan

Another rap, although this features an interesting story of an obsessed fan, who ultimately takes his life, along with his partner and unborn child. By the time the "last letter" that is sent to Eminem is read out during the song, it's already happened, and he's actually reading his suicide note..

8. Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen

No words needed, but a great story of a love triangle, between lovers, killers...

9. Michael Jackson - Earth Song

Song to bring to light the destruction of humans on this planet, and how much people can make a difference, both in a positive and negative.

10. Macklemore - Wings

Song about life and materialistic things, that you have, or don't have and what it really means.

11. The Script - I'm Yours

A man who feels lesser when compared to his ultimate love, but always offers the support that he belongs to his partner, and that he is their all, in what ever capacity he is viewed in.
    Was going to say you got the wrong Eminem track but then you slip in in at No7 - Stan ;-)

Red hot chilli peppers - Under the bridge

2 Thanks given to akimba

BigBrand (19th May 2015),  {{909}} (19th May 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Down in the tube station at midnight

Killing in the name

Money
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

{{909}} (19th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

OMD's Enola Gay. (I am not sure how the Chinese would react to it)

again OMD with "pandoras Box" it was about louise brooks I think, the silent movie star.

Frankie goes to hollywoods "relax" could be fun.

oh fuck it, while you are at it let them work out whats going on with "turning Japanese"

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Queen - Death on two legs - Not one of their more popular songs but the lyrics are fantastic and clear......Was written by Mercury due to their management ripping them off while the band were all living in tiny run down flats....The line that allways gets me -
    You suck my blood like a leech
    You break the law and you preach
    Screw my brain till it hurts
    You've taken all my money - and you want more
    The Beatles - Strawberry Fields - The LSD phase of the band
    Pink Floyd - time. how we waste all our time day after day
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
    Harry Chapman - Cat's in the cradle - About dad not having enough time for his boy - then the boy not having enough time for his dad....and so the story continues
    U2 - Sunday bloody sunday - self explanatory

Thanks to DavidF

{{909}} (19th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the input guys, a little late but I'll no doubt be able to use the topic again in future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    thanks for the input guys, a little late but I'll no doubt be able to use the topic again in future.
    I was pretty sure last night this appeared in the New Posts section, hence my reply. Must have got it wrong, sorry bud

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I was pretty sure last night this appeared in the New Posts section, hence my reply. Must have got it wrong, sorry bud

A late reply is better than no reply mate!