Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Sony Xperia Z: Server unlock request returns 'No Code Found'

Supplied the IMEI number of a mates phone to my cousin who has a mobile repair and unlocking business in town. My cousin sent a server request for an unlock code but it came back a few days later as 'No Code Found'. Can anyone shed some light on why this would be the case? My cousin just said that it does happen on a rare occasion. The phone was bought second hand so my mate can't contact the mobile operator to have it unlocked. It's working fine on Vodafone but he wants it unlocked to use with a different network. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sony Xperia Z: Server unlock request returns 'No Code Found'

Pay £19.99 as a payg customer and fill in an online unlock request form

Thanks to littlebilly1

BigBird (23rd April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks. Thought you had to have purchased the phone from them yourself to use the service but it seems not. (">

Thanks to BigBird

littlebilly1 (23rd April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    Pay £19.99 as a payg customer and fill in an online unlock request form
    A quick follow up as it may be useful for others to know: He contacted Vodafone and even though he purchased the phone second hand they have told him they will send him an unlock code for free. Fair play to Vodafone who have now also sent him the following email. (">

Hi xxx xxxxx,
    Here is an update on your request to unlock your phone so you can use it on a different network.

We are getting the code for you

We did not have the code on our database so we have asked your phone manufacturer for it.
    Reference Number: xxxxxxxx

How long does it take?

It can take up to 10 working days for us to get the code from them. As soon as we do, we will email it to you - along with instructions on what to do next.
    Thanks,

Vodafone Customer Services Team

Thanks
    Karma Level

I found with Orange, they want to see you have used an Orange SIM in the handset for a period of time before they would give out a sensible priced unlock code.

Really annoyed me ages ago as I got my sister an orange SIM and phone for xmas, but I think she just stuck it in a cupboard till her old phone died. Then we wanted to get her o2 sim in, in the end I had to run to loads of shops as no-one could do that model. If we had just put the SIM in on xmas day and left it plugged in would have had a dead simple and cheap unlock.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Which? are campaigning to force mobile phone companies to automatically unlock phones once the contract term is up. If phone companies want to initially lock phones to protect their property then that's up to them but why should you then pay to have that protection removed once the contract is up and it becomes 100% your phone. A lot of people feel restricted from changing to a better network or deal because of the cost of unlocking the phone. Most of the people I know think they have to go to a high street unlocker which can cost up to £90 to have a phone unlocked. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh I can totally understand where the providers are coming from.

They subside expensive handsets to encourage people to sign up with them

These twats trying to save us £10 unlocking charges will mean we have to start paying £300-400 just to initially purchase our phones. Not quite sure how that will benefit anyone except the phone providers.

I just thought I would mention, back in the good old days, you could often purchase a phone, and spend less over the whole contract period than the actual cost of the handset. So it could be considered they were dishing out phones and contracts at a loss to get the ball rolling. Now the ball is rolling they obviously need to move to more sustainable and profitable models. I have to admit I have been spoiled by the old system and actually feel offended when I realise how much a contract will add up to. So once I have realised the system makes sense and works for everyone except me, I have realised there is no point in trying to fight them. When I want a phone, I buy a brand new pay as you go of my choice. When I need a connection I get a SIM only deal. That way I am in charge and in control yet not making daft demands.

Off Topic, as a kid I used to actually look forward to each episode of Which, so I can learn how to defend myself against shady companies. Last few times I read them I told my mum to cancel her sub as on a few subjects I am very knowledgable about I personally came to the conclusion that is was obvious the testers were either totally clueless or had been paid off.