Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HP Microserver MEGA thread

Sorry to hear you're having problems Lou. Were there no videos on YouTube to guide you through it?

I've got mine G8 going, ESXi 6 installed, Xpenology is the only VM I've got setup so far as I wasn't 100% convinced that I was going to stick with it. But after a bit of a play last night I think it will do the job. I've started migrating data from my old media server but that's as far as I've got as I'm trying to tidy it at the same time.

Just getting Xpenology setup was a bit of a job in itself. I ended up having the G8 create RAID 0 separately on each of my 3TB HDs, and the SSD. Then setting up RDM, then allowing Xpenology to create an SHR volume across all 3 disks. Once I'd got my head around it and set it up then it seems fine. I'm not 100% sure how it will pan out long term but for now it seems ok. There's a lot of plugins for Xpenology which I'd prefer to keep to a minimum, I've only got Open VM Tools installed on it so far.

CPU Usage is showing a little higher on the ESXi host than what I would like but I'm going to press on with Sophos UTM and see how things look then and probably probe Xpenology a little deeper and see what its doing that causing spikes in the CPU.

My two other VMs [Windows 2012 Server + Linux] I'm having a bit of a re-think about. If I could have Veeam running on Linux then I wouldn't need Win2k12 but that isn't going to happen. My network also feels like a bit of a mess at the moment as ESXi and Xpenology are both on DHCP IPs but I'll tidy that later once Sophos UTM is live.

I've not much else to tell at the moment, not sure if that's good or bad :-/

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

Lou_smorals (28th December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey AP0ll0UK ,
    I bought an advanced licence for iLO but my gen8 microserver says iLO disabled
    tried f8 key etc but cannot see where to enable.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hey AP0ll0UK ,
    I bought an advanced licence for iLO but my gen8 microserver says iLO disabled
    tried f8 key etc but cannot see where to enable.
    LS
    this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJRZWXUKVE
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks to Tim.Lad

Lou_smorals (30th December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I cannot do this as iLO is disabled in mine :-(
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi mate

Daft question but do you have the iLO port on the back of the server connected into your switch / router do you have a green link light?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I have NIC 1 and also iLO nic connected to router m8.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just rebooted mine, I hit F9 on the second Bios screen as if I was going to go into the BIOS, and then I hit F8 for the iLO config.

In that screen, I've moved across to the Settings menu and I have the following:-

iLO Functionality - Enabled
    iLO 4 ROM-Based Setup Utility - Enabled
    Require iLO 4 RBSU Login - Disabled
    Show iLO 4 IP during POST - Enabled
    Local Users - Enabled

Also, under the Network menu I have:-

NIC and TCP/IP
    Network Interface Adapter - On
    Transceiver Speed Autodetect - On
    The IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway are all picked up through DHCP

DNS/DHCP
    DHCP Enable - On
    DNS Name - iLOXXXXXXX
    [The Advanced options from F1 are all Enabled].

If anything looks screwy, you could just try the File menu and then Set Defaults and see if this puts everything back to how it should be. If it doesn't, or if you're using static IPs then you'll need to configure the IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS etc.

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi m8
    sorry if I am being an idiot but I have now rebooted my server about 100 times...I push F9 and it goes to the ROM BASED SETUP UTILITY, when do I push F8? tried it before, after, earlier and nothing happens...a message comes up on screen to say iLO is disabled and to push the security override switch?
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

You probably don't have to hit F9 to be honest, I just did it out of habit.

When you switch the box on, it comes up with the first screen, does a few checks and then moves onto the second screen which has the fancy icons down in the bottom right hanf corner. It does some further checks and part way through it way say hit F8 for the iLO setup. Keep an eye out for that one and then you should get into the iLO setup screen.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Guys
    sorry my Plex is offline and has been all day fue to me rebooting it every few minutes since 10am this morning pushing everything from F1 to F100 and I have now turned it off before I throw it in the frigging pond.
    the error is as follows 1502: ILO is disabled switch security override switch.
    I will not be doing anything further with this today.
    LS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AP0ll0UK View Post
    You probably don't have to hit F9 to be honest, I just did it out of habit.

When you switch the box on, it comes up with the first screen, does a few checks and then moves onto the second screen which has the fancy icons down in the bottom right hanf corner. It does some further checks and part way through it way say hit F8 for the iLO setup. Keep an eye out for that one and then you should get into the iLO setup screen.
    Hi
    I can push F8 till I am blue in the face m8, sorry all I get is I need to push the security override switch as iLO has been disabled.
    thank you for your help m8, but I only got one USB keyboard and I have borrowed it from PC and I nearly smashed it to pieces on desk so its time to walk away :-) - server is off.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Give me 10 minutes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look at the below and skip to section a:-

Check if the iLO functionality is enabled in BIOS. To do so, reboot the server press F8 during the HP splash screen to launch the iLO RBSU setting, navigate to Settings > Configure and check if iLO Functionality is set to 'Enabled'. If it is set to enabled, then to enable it, the iLO 4 Security Override Switch. The following steps may be performed:

a. Refer to section 'Component identification > System board components > System maintenance switch' in the server's maintenance and service guide to help identify the system maintenance switch on the system board.

b. To access the above mentioned switch, power off the server and remove the power cable, remove the chassis panel and locate the system maintenance switch on the system.

c. Set switch S1 from its default "Off" position to the "On" position, replace the chassis panel and then power on the server.

d. There will be a message that a system maintenance switch has been turned on. At this point, power off the server, remove power cable, remove the chassis panel and revert switch S1's position to default "Off" position, replace the chassis panel and power on the server. This procedure would enable iLO functionality to the server. If DHCP is enabled, then iLO should pickup an IP address automatically.

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant...m/td-p/6696435

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    yes I seen that around lunchtime but the link in section a is a dead one m8, I spent at least an hour looking through other PDF's trying to find that one.
    Thank you anyway m8
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Page 70, 71 and 72. Basically, when you lift off the cover, and you have the front of the machine facing you, look down the left at the back and you'll see a switch bank.

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1031708821.pdf

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fixed it yet?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    No m8, been doing it since 10.30 this morning - server is turned off and in cupboard before it was thrown out window.
    maybe try a bit later. Many thanks
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just get it done [emoji14]

Its the last hurdle and hopefully once its done then you can run it headless, put it back in the cupboard and crack on with whatever else you're doing.

Mine is getting there slowly. I've got everything migrated over now so still tidying. My power cable for the floppy drive has just turned up so that's in and the SSD is connected via the ODD and is working fine.

Just need to pull a 1TB drive out of my old server and installed it. Then partition it up for downloads and also backup of the Datastore.

It seems to be performing ok with Xpenology, Ubuntu Server [CLI, no desktop] and Win2012 server. It still seems to be running quiet as well.

....we'll see how it does once its relocated to its new home on the shelving unit and is doing some downloads and streaming media.

I'm only streaming stuff locally so don't see the need for Plex and transcoding - I unless anyone knows of any reason why I 'should' be using Plex?

Sent from my LG-F400 using Tapatalk

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    it worked m8, calmed down after tea and the switch thing worked fine first attempt.
    Many thanks
    LS

Thanks to Lou_smorals

Tim.Lad (30th December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You know I was working on a networking fault at a customers once for 6 hours and it got to 3am and the lad that was with me testing forced me to go out side get some air and have a brew, came back inside had it fixed in 20 mins

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks to Tim.Lad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast