Close

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Lounge Upgrades: Couple of questions

Hi Guys,

I am upgrading my lounge at the moment; building a false wall, adding some home automation etc...

I am having a false wall/chimney breast built at the moment but I am after some advice regarding a pull out/twist/rotate TV bracket for a slim LED TV; LG LM960V 47".

I need a bracket that can pull out away from the wall for when I have guests over or when I am watching the TV during dinner etc.

Do you have any suggestions or advice on what to buy?
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Lounge Upgrades: Couple of questions

Generally pay for what you get bracket wise but what ive always done when fixing something to a solid wall that's going to bare weight is I've filled the hole with epoxy (obv not totally) you can do this by getting a large syringe from a chemist - only a quid or two (you get odd looks) and put the epoxy in the syringe and squirt it in. Then used anchor expanding type bolts and let it cure. If mounting on plasterboard use the special plasterboard expanding/gripping screws but I personally wouldn't mount anything other than a picture on plasterboard. (Maybe just over cautious)

Times ive not used epoxy for things like floating shelves ive found some sag even into masonry.

Thanks to blacksheep

Ashley (26th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately their are no brick walls in my flat as it is one of these timber frame builds :/
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

What are you using for your home automation hilijd been looking at doing something myself but can settle on a system

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got my 55" Sammy on one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007N3H26M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Mine is fixed to a brick wall but generally, if you place a nice block of wood between the studding in the partition / false wall then mount a bracket to that, you should be OK.

See also:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/mou...-walls.172294/
    Last edited by chizh; 26th April 2015 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That is good to know probably for the following: I would like these automation a lot of functions in my flat:

1. Automated/voice controlled blind opening/closing; horizontal blinds.

2. Remote controlled/voice activated/motion lights; I have LED GU10 bulbs throughout my entire flat except for the kitchen and bathroom which are BELL 2D ENERGY SAVING FLUORESCENT TUBE Lamp / Bulbs. My spotlights can all dim although I have no setup to do so.

3. Video streaming; Using my unRAID NAS which is in my office. I will be using a combination of Plex/XBMC [on my dedicated media centre] and I am also looking to use Raspberry Pi 2's to stream media to my bedroom and office. [Done]

4. Energy/water monitoring; energy/water waste is my biggest bug bear; I want to be able to monitor my energy usage, so that I reduce it as much as possible.

I already have 9w LED installed in every room, I have underfloor heating which I have now been told is one of the most non efficient forms of heating... I am hoping to lower my consumption by using home automation (maybe using some sort of weather/inside temperature monitoring?). I am hoping to monitor my water as well

5. Heating management; Exact temperature control via a calibrated setup that can have morning, day, night, summer and winter programs.

6. Security Monitoring; I live on the ground floor of a block of apartments which has a camera entry system; I'm hoping there a way to get this camera feed on to my TV? To allow me to view who is at my door and to enable me to release the outside door (magnet lock I think). Currently it's a push unlock button on the telephone entry system which is made by 'urnet'

7. Food; when I run out of a item of food I add it to a shopping list straight away via a old HP TouchPad tablet that runs Android. I currently use 'Out of Milk Pro' for this job [Done]

9. Bathroom - I want to use use a mirror which can function as a screen; so I could access the weather report for the day, read the news etc when brushing my teeth and having a shave

There maybe more but I cannot remember, what system would you advise I purchase? A starter kit would be great but I want a "future proof" one.

Max budget is around £800 for everything. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Unfortunately their are no brick walls in my flat as it is one of these timber frame builds :/

You do understand leverage and that any further out the tv is the more stress it's going to put on the mount. You're going to have to 100% find the studs if you want this I'd say

oh on number 5 above mate I'd put in a buffer or you're going to have your boiler or whatever is heating switching on/off all the time - also ive got heuristics in mine which worked out how much the temp raised after the heating went off, linked that to weather data and you can turn your heating off before it hits the desired temp.