great input. welcome to Digital Forums
    Lol

Got to love the police

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My New Wheels. Just two, non-motorised

So my new ride arrived yesterday. Not had a chance to get out on it yet but off work tomorrow which means Play day !!!!! Looking forward to that .

Have in the interim used another pair of MTB Trail pedals. Same ones I have on my MTB. Temporary measure. I'll be picking up some proper "Road bike" pedals and new shoes to go with them but that's going to set me back about £130 or so. As I already had decent enough shoes, £16 for a second pair of pedals made sense.

...but yeah, they're a temporary fixture.

Also a pic of my Asgard storage unit. Took me about 90 minutes to build.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very posh, loving the proper matt CF finish. Too many manufacturers are painting it at the moment.

Thanks to BertRoot

dpSparhawk (16th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah no paint = less weight

Thanks to dpSparhawk

BertRoot (16th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    Yeah no paint = less weight
    Hahahahahahaha. Indeed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, it looks like those lovely wheels above are possibly consigned to the bike graveyard. Some daft bint decided pulling into the petrol station right across my path was a good thing. Not when I crashed into her and somersaulted over the bonnet into a heap on the floor. Paramedics and Police attended. She uttered the immortal words..."I'm sorry, I didn't see you" lol.

Anyway, have had the bike looked at and been advised that an impact that hard (which forced the front wheel to come off the fork) is pretty much a write off. Even if there are no visible signs, as it's a carbon fibre frame, there'll likely be stress fractures so they just advise a write off immediately. So as such, I've filed a claim through her car insurance which she gave me all the details for. Bit o' luck, that'll all go through fine especially as she made the turn across the carriageway right into my path.

Once that's done, I'm going to send off the old frame to Canyon to be completely assessed and x-ray'd. There is quite the possibility it'll come back clean. In which case, I got a free bike out of it . As for me, road rash, sore wrist, shoulder, leg, knees... the ususal. Fortunately didn't come down on my head.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Glad you're ok. I do think a bike isn't your own until you have crashed it lol. How on earth didn't she see a bright Lycra clad bloke coming towards her ?

I have a real thing about drivers on their phones at the moment. Got hit from behind (I was in a marked cycle lane) by a van wing mirror at 40mph and a witness said the driver was playing on his phone. If I'm out and about at school run time, the number of women transporting their kids home with a phone constantly lit up in one hand amazes me ! Then you get the pure pig headed, "I must get past this bike" drivers. I'm quite an offensive rider as in I'll position myself so cars can't pass me if I don't think its safe. You still get the odd twat trying to squeeze through even if it's just to race up to the queue of traffic in front of them.

I don't think of it as them vs us though, everyone is trying to get somewhere. Too many in our cycling club think all drivers are twats and all cyclists are godly. It just isn't the case. We have our fair share of dick heads lol.

Good luck with your recovery,

Malty
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

dpSparhawk (18th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Least you don't sound too badly off mate. Lots of fuckers don't pay attention these days and car drivers are a lot better protected than us. How much will it cost you to get it evaluated by Canyon?

Thanks to BertRoot

dpSparhawk (18th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

How on earth didn't she see a bright Lycra clad bloke coming towards her
    LOLOL .. I know... fkin joke. Was in my day-glo minion lycra tights.... honest

nah...

Cheers guys, yeah injuries to me are just road rash, sprained wrist and some deep tissue bruising to my shoulder. Other than that, I'm good.

I've had the bike looked at by Cycle Surgery in the interim, they'll be giving me a full report when I go back to pick up the bike etc.

I'm not sure how much it'll cost for Canyon to fully assess it but I'm expecting a couple of hundred quid. In the end it'll be worth it if it comes back clean and safe to ride as I'll have a spare bike I can use for winter and on my turbo. If the frame comes back compromised, it's only a couple of hundred I guess

Yeah Malty, I see those kinds of drivers all the time, but then on the flip side, the amount of cyclists that go past me when I'm stopped at a red light on my own bike is amazing. Most of them are people on Halfords ride aways in jeans and no helmet but you do get a fair few kitted up road cyclists going through too whom really should know better.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 18th March 2016 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess so. What are you basing the 200 potential cost on? Is that an estimate off Canyon or based on others experience?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The £200 was what I was advised the potential X-Ray costs could be, of course that's an undetermined figure. However, Canyon do a crash replacement scheme. You send the frame to them, they check it, if it's f00ked, you can buy a new frame off them for 50% of the normal cost (in the 1st year, the 2nd and 3rd year of ownership, the frame costs a little more but never the full amount). Once I've got all this shit sorted, I think I'll wing the old frame off, if it's definitely dead, I'll have 'em send me a new one out at half or just over half the price. Then I'll build it into a winter bike.

So, I've got all the claim forms here, got the full report that the frame is a write off, going to get all that sent off in the post tomorrow.

In the meantime, I ordered a replacement, can't be arsed waiting months and months for the settlement plus I'm doing Anglesey 103 miler in August so I really need to be out training. Ordered the same model as I really liked it and don't see the need to "upgrade" just yet.

Only difference is the colour scheme. At least it has black bar tape this time as opposed to feckin white.... which becomes grey

Last edited by dpSparhawk; 24th March 2016 at 10:27 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Most of the £200 would be the analysis. I go and conduct x-rays at an external company and pay £12 per image. It used to cover the booth time and the cost of the film. The last couple of times I've had digital images with some software provided by them which I can use to apply filters which are really useful for spotting flaws and contact points etc. I don't know if you fancy doing all of that but the company is called Aerotech Inspection & NDT Ltd. in Cradley Heath.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

dpSparhawk (24th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something to consider as and when all this is settled.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear about the bike but you're ok,that's the main thing.I had the same thing happened to me when I was testing out my new bike on my estate.Old bint turned left onto her drive as I was cycling along,I got the same as you DPS,"sorry I didn't see you" Luckily I managed to swerve onto her drive and avoid contact. I'd have gone fecking mental if she so much as scratched it
    Pina_zpsoq30e91g.jpg

Thanks to Oily

Thanks
    Karma Level

Glad you avoided contact mate. That's a gorgeous bike. I was really calm for some reason lol. Just glad I was OK I guess.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

Oily (24th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Glad to hear that you are alright mate (unfortunately not so the Canyon). This is the exact reason I only ride a Mountain Bike (off road / trails) these days, as at least if I have a bad off, it will be generally down to my own stupidity / lack of skill. Rather than the fault of some nutmeg driver.
    Last edited by tips; 24th March 2016 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks to tips

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried a few years ago to ride to work as only a few miles away and the amount of careless drivers amazed me, in that one week I avoided being knocked off several times.

I've seen an accident similar to yours except it ended worse, the car was doing a right hand turn and the bike was coming in the opposite direction, the cyclist slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the car and going over the bonnet except he went head over heels and landed in the road in front of the car and the car didn't stop and went over his legs.

The amazing thing was the next vehicle to approach within 10 seconds was an ambulance and obviously stopped.

Don't get wrong I'm not painting a picture of all cyclists being perfect when you have those that don't even stop at red lights and seem to think everyone should avoid them rather than they play their part in staying safe.

Glad to hear you were OK tho dpSparhawk.

Thanks to Rhinoz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys. Yeah a bike can always be replaced or potentially fixed where possible. It is relatively easy to ride safe, just have to assume that all drivers are idiots and to expect the unexpected .... must admit, this one definitely caught me out though lol.

As for red lights, have never understood why anyone would ride through them.... bike plus person up against 1.5t of car and person... it's a no brainer (that said, the no brain part probably applies completely hehe.)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Update on my bike accident last March.

Received letter from the solicitors today and I'll be receiving just over£6.5K payout. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 14th February 2017 at 05:25 PM.

4 Thanks given to dpSparhawk

Ashley (14th February 2017),  beansontoast (15th February 2017),  BertRoot (14th February 2017),  cyprus (15th February 2017)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12