Close

Thread: Gas BBQ help

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Gas BBQ help

All,

looking to purchase a new gas bbq. I have a charcoal one already but for convenience was looking for a gas one. Have had a gas one before and found keeping the grill itself clean and absolute nightmare so anything to look for there would be helpful (and any tips!). The grill I had peeled and rusted in no time but may have been just cheap.

What would people suggest?

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Gas BBQ help

Don't bother a BBQ isn't a BBQ without charcoal imo
    Last edited by Mobileman; 7th June 2015 at 11:45 PM.

6 Thanks given to Mobileman

bobo06 (11th June 2015),  CallmeGoose (10th June 2015),  MHP (10th June 2015),  piggzy (10th June 2015),  Undertaker (8th June 2015),  ZX7R (11th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Gas BBQ help

I wouldn't so much call a gas BBQ a BBQ as such, more like a Flame Griller. That said, we do have a Gas BBQ (or whatever you want to call it) and it does actually cook damn well. You can get that thing throwing flames up around the food like Lucifer himself is rising from the gates of hell hahaha so it can pretty much flame grill meat very nicely. In fact we used it recently at a friends garden party where it was used to cook food for around 40 people. ALL the food was eaten

It's a B&Q Winchester 3 burner. We've had it for 10 years, has been left out to the elements for easily a good 7 of those after we couldn't be arsed replacing the cover we bought for it. It still looks in pretty decent condition, the wooden preparation surfaces are prefectly fine and have never been treated by us. It gets a bit shitty and dirty during the winter months but nothing the pressure washer, a good stiff brush and a tonne of washing up liquid doesn't fix. As for the plates, they're in excellent condition. They clean up very nicely with a bit of help from the pressure washer and are in pretty much pristine condition. Can't fault it to be honest.

This is what it looks like. Of course you can't buy these anymore but I don't see why you can't get one that's as good.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...s-barbecue.asp

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    It's a B&Q Winchester 3 burner.
    We have one of these and it's such a good bbq/grill. Unfortunately the metal frame that the left hand burner sits on has rotten through with rust at the back. Currently supported by a spanner, it's about to be retired after getting a new one from Tesco.
    Not quite got to grips with the new one as the heat distribution isn't equal over the grills, still working out where the hot spots are. I miss the griddle burner from the Winchester too.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gas BBQ pfffft, why not just drag your hob outside, or buy a camping stove ;-)
    Agree gotta be charcoal and a nice chunk of hardwood if you really want a good flavour.

3 Thanks given to piggzy

CallmeGoose (10th June 2015),  MHP (10th June 2015),  ZX7R (11th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the ones with Lava Rocks. That way it's more similar to a carcoal BBQ heat but without the hassle of having to go and buy it all the time.

Outback usually come with them.

http://www.outbackbarbeque.co.uk/sho...LLChoC35Dw_wcB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just got this, with some restaurant grade charcoal its amazing

WP_20150604_21_24_19_Pro.jpg

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks to Hangman

Mobileman (10th June 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

And make most awesome pizzas on them as well as bbq

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stone baked pizzas are a cut above... not even in same category as other pizzas imho

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    I just got this, with some restaurant grade charcoal its amazing
    Got something similar Hangman. Also got a 18" Uniflame thing from Asda. Find the restaurant stuff (Makro big blue bags) really difficult to light and it sparks like fuck. Any tips on lighting the stuff?

Been thinking about a cheap gas grill myself recently, purely as flipper's pointed out, for the speed of getting going.
    Cheapo Aldi 2 or 3 burner should do if there's any local. Gas aint cheap tho. First bottle will be costing around £50 with refills around the £20 mark.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chizh View Post
    Been thinking about a cheap gas grill myself recently, purely as flipper's pointed out, for the speed of getting going.
    Cheapo Aldi 2 or 3 burner should do if there's any local. Gas aint cheap tho. First bottle will be costing around £50 with refills around the £20 mark.
    I've not used my cheap aldi one for years but it was brilliant, lava rock included. With regards to the gas I bought a normal regulator straight away and never used the "patio gas" one. My mate picked up a used cylinder for me & I swapped that and £15 for a full one at the local garage. The regulator came from eBay supplied by a canal boat company.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

chizh (11th June 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got something similar Hangman. Also got a 18" Uniflame thing from Asda. Find the restaurant stuff (Makro big blue bags) really difficult to light and it sparks like fuck. Any tips on lighting the stuff?

I have bought BigK Restaurant Grade and have got to say so far it great stuff. Put a layer on the bottom put in a fair amount of lighter blocks then another layer of charcol on top then light 3-40 mins later a REALLY hot bbq.

This is the stuff I am using - http://www.bigkproducts.co.uk/Produc...12%29_124.aspx

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks to Hangman

chizh (11th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gas aint cheap tho. First bottle will be costing around £50 with refills around the £20 mark.
    We got a couple of gas bottles off Freecycle. Got one refilled for £20 at B&Q, the other one was practically full and still going strong. For free!
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Social Networking Bookmarks