Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Review DR John's Magical Vape

So I heard of this guy from a friend, so went to check out his Facebook store.

His products arrived very quickly (they are made to order) and having just tried the 1st of the 12 flavours I've ordered I'm blown away.

I will be writing a full review for each of these flavours at some point next week, but so far, so good.

4 Thanks given to Ganty

Ashley (13th June 2015),  prezzy (12th June 2015),  QUALCAST (22nd June 2015),  WRATH OF BOD (11th July 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: DR John's Magical Vape

Nice one - never heard of these they sound very tasty - I shall be orderering a fair few of them I think.
    Last edited by prezzy; 12th June 2015 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

placed my order, so many choices, got 5 10ml bottles to try yum yum !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will update this later today, but I'm extremely happy with everything.

Thanks to Ganty

QUALCAST (22nd June 2015)  

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    I will update this later today, but I'm extremely happy with everything.
    Please mate. I've been hoping you'd provide some reviews, as I do struggle to find a decent commercial vape. Tend to mix my own, but now and then I'd like to treat myself with something different and this guys flavours look amazing

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, sorry about the delay in this review, but I was waiting for a quiet afternoon where I could vape a load with full concentration.

I will start by saying, from a customer service point of view, this guy can't be faulted. It was difficult to see from his facebook page what the correct procedure for orders/payments where, so last Sunday evening I sent him a private message on facebook.
    2 Minutes later he replied, saying he wasn't "at work" per se, but he would be in touch tomorrow with all relevant details. Sure enough, Monday morning, he messaged me with everything I needed to know.

My initial dilemma was with such a vast array of flavours, where the fuck to start? I'd previously been educated into imported US liquids, like Psycho Chemist (big fan of Garden Party by the way) after graduating from the 3 quid bottles found at the petrol station.

My palate demanded sophistication, i was an elitist now, common garden variety juice simply wouldn't cut it. (anyone else noticing a trend of pretentiousness in the vape scene?)

Anyway, after scratching my bonce for more minutes than I'll admit, I settled on 30ml bottles of 2 of the most appealing flavours; Sink the Pink - coconut, cream, marshmallow and raspberry absinthe and the fruity favourite Rhubarb and Custard.

I also noticed that for 15 notes he'd provide a sample pack of 10 samples, so I opted for this too, to see if it'd alleviate some of the confusion that too much choice always manages to present.

I told him what I wanted, he told me how to pay. He then asked me what ratio of PG/VG I wanted and what concentration of nicotine. Nice touch, but maybe a bit much for the novice vapester.

I paid, he told me it'd be posted Wednesday - all of the juices are made to order. Freshness guaranteed. Bill came to 34 boys, including delivery. Not bad at all.

Thursday morning, it arrived in all it's glory. Packaged extremely well, and postage cost was exactly what I'd been charged. Not sure why this matters that much, but I hate it when people try to make a quick buck on stamps.

I should mention at this stage about my kit. I'm not really into mechanical mods, to be honest they scare me, but neither does the thought of a thin pen and puny battery fill me with any joy.

I currently use an ELeaf battery VV/VW (50w) with an aspire atlantis 2 tank, which is fucking fantastic. Sub ohm vaping and no fucking about? Thank you very much.

Because of the rate at which this things vapes, I opted for just 3mg strength on the nicotine, and a 50/50 ratio for PG/VG. I opened the Rhubarb and Custard and was hit in the face with the stench before I poured it out.

Wow. Nostalgia kicked in and I was back in a sweet shop, although slightly fatter, and with few less teeth. I filled the tank and then waited for the longest 2 minutes to ensure a good soaking. I set my preferred voltage and hit it.

Instantly my mouth was flooded with this childlike dream, tangy rhubarb and creamy vanilla custard, and a serious fuck tonne of vape. I regretted instantly that I'd only bought 30ml. This is dangerous territory friends, for 30ml used to last me a good week, and then some. This managed 2 days, and not because it burned quickly, just because I literally couldn't stop smoking the damn stuff.

Waking up, depressed that I no longer had the best 2 day affair I've encountered lying next to me, I trudged downstairs contemplating suicide. But then I remembered. The other flavours! Calling in sick at work, I sat down and filled up with Sink the Pink.

Another strike. It's incredibly difficult to explain how, like with good food, it doesn't happen all at once. It's all there, but it tricks you. you taste something, blink and it goes, only to be replaced with something else which then fucks off leaving a trail of another flavour that you didn't taste 2 seconds ago. Complex juice? To think I used to dissolve menthol crystals over night and fill up with a syringe.

A few of my good friends are vape enthusiasts, and everyone of them has asked me to order them Rhubarb and Custard. And everyone of them asked for 100ml. Unfortunately, I now need to comment on the sample selection. Like all lucky dips, sometimes you just get fucking unlucky.

With no option to opt out of any particular flavours of the lucky dip, you really are in the hands of the gods... Or at least in the hands of the guy who made a bit too much cinnamon fire cracker juice for his last order. Of the 10 samples I received, 3 of them remain untouched. This may seem harsh in an impartial review, but I do not want remnants of cinnamon or licorice in my tank for days on end. These three products weren't tasted on smell alone, which again may seem a trifle unfair, but fuck it, my review I can do what I want.

The other 7, however, were exemplary. I'm not gonna do a full run down on each one because to be honest, the samples are just that. Just enough to whet the whistle. I think what I've learned is if you like the listed flavours in any particular batch, buy a fucking bottle. don't have a half full tank and then kick yourself when it's all gone before match of the day has even started.

There you have it. 12 products delivered, 9 of them tasted and all fucking good. Now do yourself a favour and buy 100ml of Rhubarb and Custard.

5 Thanks given to Ganty

Ashley (2nd July 2015),  BigBrand (14th July 2015),  moonrat (24th June 2015),  Over Carl (13th July 2015),  prezzy (23rd June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice and he was very helpful to me earlier too, i have today orderd the atlantis 2 (didnt even know it was out ) since i gave up sub ohm due to not getting on with atlantis 1 , what wattage you hittting at Ganty? think i need a better box as mine only goes 30w, got an order of some juice arriving soon so wil update with some more flavour reviews soon ! cant wait!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by QUALCAST View Post
    nice and he was very helpful to me earlier too, i have today orderd the atlantis 2 (didnt even know it was out ) since i gave up sub ohm due to not getting on with atlantis 1 , what wattage you hittting at Ganty? think i need a better box as mine only goes 30w, got an order of some juice arriving soon so wil update with some more flavour reviews soon ! cant wait!
    Depends on a few things mate, the juice, ohm etc... Between 30 and 40 really, but have been as high as 50 for some. It's all trial and error.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't forget to throw in a NORTHANTSVAPOURS10% for 10% off orders over a tenner

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bloody hell, 50w! I've just started vaping and 50w sounds a lot to me. I use a Vamo V6 and a aspire k1 and anything over around 12w tastes a bit harsh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Bloody hell, 50w! I've just started vaping and 50w sounds a lot to me. I use a Vamo V6 and a aspire k1 and anything over around 12w tastes a bit harsh.
    yea with that tank about 4.5 volts willl be good which yea is about 11w so your doing it right, my atlantis 2 just arrived today so just whacked that in and upped to 30w which is max for my mvp3 , it hits good smooth too, problme is all the juice i got at the moment is med strength which is fine at lower power but its pretty strong hit at new settings, but my dr johns stuff comes soon and he recommended 3mg for good sub ohm vaping

Thanks
    Karma Level

Holy shit .. my order landed last night and I haven't been able to put the rhubarb and custard down .. it is just that amazing.
    I bought 2 new coils for my atlantis tanks (I have both the Atlantis and Atlantis 2) making sure I was gonna get a good pure taste that wasn't tainted by the Berry Burst sub juice I normally use.
    I filled one tank with Rhubarb and Custard and I'm in love. It's not like vapeing anymore .. it's more like spooning an extra thick and creamy M & S Champagne Rhubarb yoghurt into my mouth and the taste lasts and lasts.

I filled my other tank with Orange just to try and conserve my 30ml supply of Rhubarb and it's alright, but not a patch on this.
    My bottle of Vapours Tongue remains untouched until the orange in this tank runs out.

I think it's the custard range for me from now on which is weird as I've always craved that menthol throat hit before, but this is on another level now

Thanks to AspectUK

Ganty (3rd July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just ordered some Rhubarb and Custard so will give my views on it once it arrives......

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Ganty (3rd July 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Rhubarb and custard makes me want to start vaping again!
    ( I stopped smoking to vape then stopped vaping)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Just ordered some Rhubarb and Custard so will give my views on it once it arrives......
    Has this arrived yet mate?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Has this arrived yet mate?
    Yes had it since last Wednesday, I found it ok but personally will stick with the menthol as I make my own and have it just how I like it now.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Ganty (13th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Yes had it since last Wednesday, I found it ok but personally will stick with the menthol as I make my own and have it just how I like it now.
    I was the same, was menthol vaping for about a year before trying other stuff. I ended making my own menthol juice but could never get it right. The menthol crystals were just so overpowering, seemingly independent to how much I actually used, so I decided to give up.

I have however just started trials for my own flavours, using food favouring from eBay, and have had pretty good results so far.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was the same, was menthol vaping for about a year before trying other stuff. I ended making my own menthol juice but could never get it right. The menthol crystals were just so overpowering, seemingly independent to how much I actually used, so I decided to give up.

I have however just started trials for my own flavours, using food favouring from eBay, and have had pretty good results so far.
    I didn't dislike it I just found it a bit artificial tasting although I guess that is the case with most flavours , I am going to give I Black Belt some to try for a second opinion and am still using it along side my menthol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, put off posting this as I thought I would give it a little while to see if other factors affected the taste.

I absolutely loved the first batch of Rhubarb and Custard .. flavour was amazing, ran out and ordered myself 100ml and 30ml of the Gingerbread Custard, I also ordered my son a 10ml Monster as he's always drinking the stuff.

I am sorely disappointed with this batch.
    Not even close to the same taste as the last one .. I thought perhaps my coil might need changing so I replaced both my Atlantis 1 & 2 coils are tried again .. no different
    I thought never mind I'll try the Gingerbread Custard expecting like a Jamaica Cake & Custardy flavour .. but no, it was nothing like that, not what I thought at all.
    I asked my son what he thought of the Monster flavour and he said it was average and didn't really taste much like Monster.
    I thought the Clockwork Orange was average and the Vapours Tongue was not very nice really.

So out of 5 tested, only the Rhubarb and Custard came out with any credit but his second batch was pretty poor.

Add to that I visited my old Totally Wicked shop before I moved to Sub Juices bragging about it and they talked about something called Diacetyl which is used to make some liquids taste custardy.

Apparently, it's used in the production of microwave popcorn, but it has also likely led to scores of factory workers developing a severe lung condition. Diacetyl occurs naturally in some foods, including butter and many dairy products, fruits, wine and beer. It's reportedly used in "thousands" of food products to add or increase butter flavoring [http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/respiratory/popcorn-lung.htm]

Apparently it's fine if ingested but when inhaled as vapour that's when it can be dangerous. I haven't asked Dr John if his liquids contain it as I'm not sure I want to know the answer now I've vaped 130ml of the stuff!!!

So that's cheered me up no end!

2 Thanks given to AspectUK

Bald Bouncer (23rd July 2015),  Ganty (24th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

did you get a reply ?