Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Retro emulation help

Hi just started to collect a few old consoles.Managed to pick up a megadrive and ps2 so far .Looking at the prices of the Nintendo stuff I think I might be better off going down the emulation route . Two options I have come up with are old Xbox console running coinops or visionary 5 or raspberry pi2 .Any other suggestions?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Retro emulation help

Hey,

So many options... You could buy a Retron 5 which would cover a lot of bases, however that would require you buying physical carts.
    Then you have so many options with the emulation.. Old Xbox as you said, but a huge footprint.. I bought an OUYA which is an android based 'console' with all the emulators, it does have some annoyances though.. The roms have to be on an SD card or USB drive, it will not connect to a network drive (not dug recently however). Nice little box the OUYA too.
    On the same platform you could buy a JXD tablet http://www.funstock.co.uk/jxd-s7800b...-gaming-tablet which is portable and enables you to connect to a TV and connect wireless controllers.

Then the Pi, this is something I am about to get into. Running Kodi with the emulators plugins, which should let you add network drives etc.

With all of these options you can add a USB Hub and plug in the replica USB controllers for each platform, apart from the Retron 5 which has physical ports for the original ones.

Then finally you could go the PC route. I am investing in some low power windows 8.1 machines, just made a post about them but to give you an idea: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_147604.html

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_147603.html

Thanks to Squizza

emu (22nd June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love my JXD!
    I have also got me some Everdrive carts for the 8/16 bit machines. I like playing on the actual hardware
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Thanks to flukesy

emu (22nd June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Squizza those little pc boxes are the same spec as my Acer Windows tablet . Would you like me test some emulators and roms? Think I have managed to source a very cheap old Xbox . Though I am thinking I might go down the raspberry route or pc

Thanks
    Karma Level

What's everyone using for controllers ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Squizza those little pc boxes are the same spec as my Acer Windows tablet . Would you like me test some emulators and roms? Think I have managed to source a very cheap old Xbox . Though I am thinking I might go down the raspberry route or pc

You might as well

As for controllers, where possible I use either the original with a USB adapter (years ago I picked one up that does PS1, N64 and SNES) or a cheap USB copy off eBay. You cannot beat the feel of the original style controller for the console your playing.

I still have the original consoles but I am trying to convince myself to offload the hardware and get a Retron 5 where possible..
    It means I will keep the N64, Dreamcast etc.. but then the decision gets hard because how do I offload the Megadrive when I also have a Mega CD that requires it...

I think I will just keep it all and continue to emulate when needed