Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not impressed!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Not impressed!

So after a few weeks with 10, I like most of it. I don't like the Start bar arrangement, prefer 8.1. I also miss having a searchbar on the right hand side, also don't like the one on the taskbar at the bottom.

I've come the conclusion it's my laptop which is very poor and outdated which means it struggles running most things now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    This is one thing I don't understand. Years ago, often text would load first normally correctly formatted, then pictures would slowly fill up their placeholders, but at least you could normally read the article from the moment the page started loading.

Now in the name of progress, pages start loading, stuff moves all over the screen for a couple of seconds until the browser has actually loaded everything and stopped messing around resizing everything. It seems like they have really overcomplicated what used to be a simple task as you can sometimes tell CPU is struggling to process a shitty simple webpage. The best are the poorly designed pages that seem to keep on resizing things as you scroll through the page. Strange how this is a modern problem we have created with "progress". Surely things should gradually get better rather than worse?

Why on earth do we need an i7 just to view a webpage, when we could view webpages just fine using stuff like 486's. Ok, maybe 486 is a bit of an exaggeration but I've viewed full screen flash on a Pentium MMX without problems back in the day, but my Xeon 3.2 (basically a C2Q 3.2) often struggles. Why on earth do we need so much more processor power to struggle to simple things that were done with ease by much lesser CPU's.
    Because the programming is getting sloppy.. back in the day of floppy discs you could store tons of files on 1.44mb, a 20mb hard drive was enough for your OS and files. over time with bigger storage and more powerful processing programmers no longer harness the raw power of programming like they did years ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    I'm seriously holding off with ten , come a years time I really think Ms will move 10 to a subscription based system that , then the privacy side and the install faff have put me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I installed and uninstalled after a week or so.... too much spyware news coming out even after changing all the privacy settings.
    In all honesty if you was a massive corporation like Microsoft, google, apple etc and had the opportunity to gain loads of money through marketing revenue using your users data via a free product would you say no?
    the whole thing is just a re-skinned version of windows 7/8 but with a lot more nosing and background services that just fund Microsoft via your browsing habits.

If i didn't need my PC for video editing I would have gone Linux a long time ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Updated both my desktop and the laptop last week. The newish desktop has been ok but the ageing laptop lasted less than an hour. Went straight back to 8.1Pro. Trackpad settings wouldn't stick, my banking wouldn't work in Edge but was still OK in IE11, and a couple of other issues I can't remember now made it a deal-breaker for me. Creature comforts and all.

I will update the laptop again next year when I have more patience.

DON'T FORGET. You only have a month to downgrade 10 back to your original OS before you're stuck with it. You can however, re-upgrade whenever you want so in 10 or 11 months, when it's still free and most fixes and drivers etc will be in place, that'll be my time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12