Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Poor upload speed

I currently have Sky’s 20mb broadband package of which I normally get a download speed of around 16mb which is not too shabby. My upload speed should be 1.3mb but I very rarely upload anything so it’s something I haven’t used a lot.

Recently I’ve been dealing with a Canadian company and I’ve been uploading quite a bit of video files for them to process. I use a program of theirs to upload. I basically set the parameters then select the file and hey presto.

Each video file is pretty large at around 9gb so it takes a while to upload. However my upload speed tells me the speed is 137KB/s which unless I'm mistaken is only about 0.13 of a MB which doesn’t look right. I contacted Sky this morning who told me my upload speed is 1.3MB but when I argued the case I was told that perhaps the Canadian company have limitations to what speed I can upload at. I’ve emailed the Canadian company but they’ll still be in bed at this time and I'd like it sorted fairly quickly as I have another five videos to upload.

Does this sound right to you or are Sky at it?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Poor upload speed

no sounds correct, speedtest.net will verify your upload mine is around 1.0-1.5mb

although worse on the day below lol

Thanks to Mobileman

Argyll (9th September 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't for get your line is measures in b's and your data transfer in B's (bits and BYTES)

One is 8 x bigger then the other so in fact 137kB is 1096kb or just over 1Mb

Thanks to MajorFU

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

137KB/s is, for the sake of argument, approximately 1.37MB/s.

It's the decimal point that's a bit confusing.

Broadband upload speeds are always shit in comparison with the download speed.

Providers usually always give an approximate 1:10 ratio.

If you had 20Mb for example, you may hit 2Mb upload (200Kb/s).

Another way of putting it, is if a file, say 9gb, took an hour for you to Download. The same file to Upload would taken approximately 10hrs!

This is where Fibre comes into its own.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 9th September 2015 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, I did wonder whether I was getting confused with bits and bytes. I would have thought the girl at Sky would have explained that to me. I've got Sky fibre going live on 16th so not too long to wait.

Only another 7 days to wait.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hang on but even websites are saying it's only

137 Kilobytes = 0.1337 Megabytes

http://unitconverter.io/kilobytes/megabytes/137

Thanks
    Karma Level

then x 8 for MegaBITS

1 byte = 8 bits

Thanks to MajorFU

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bits and Bytes.
    Router Speed is measured in bits. Browser download file size is measured in bytes.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...-measured.html

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DejaVu; 9th September 2015 at 12:42 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm getting mixed up between megabytes and megabits.

My head hurts.

Thanks to Argyll

DejaVu (9th September 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Managed to get Sky fibre in on 16th Sept. I was getting 28mb download and 9mb upload speeds. Not bad but they estimated I'd get between 36-40mb download and 9mb upload speeds.

I called them up and they sent out a BT guy. Next I'm getting 37mb download but only 5mb upload. Clearly they jigged about with my bandwidth and 'robbed Peter to pay Paul'. They denied this and I've since had another 3 BT visits which Sky insist on. Each time having to take the morning off work but they say the line is fine.

I'm convinced Sky are just trying to wear me down so I get fed up complaining and settle with what I have.

I suppose I shouldn't really complain for a tenner a month but thinking about moving to BT because of their bullshit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I signed up for 38mb broadband with BT and I get that speed at all times of the day. Speed test indicates I am also getting the full 10mb upload speed but have not tested it with uploading my own files. There are a few things that can affect speed like the distance from the cabinet and cross talk between the fibres if there are a few heavy users with fibre lines surrounding yours. However if you are now getting 37mb download then the line should also be capable of giving you the 10mb upload that you are paying for. Sounds like it could be traffic management although sky do state that they don't have a traffic management policy. BT also state that they don't have any traffic management in place and in my own experience they are true to their word. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Resurrecting an old post but a quick update.

I've had a further few visits from BT engineers and they all tell me the same thing. They say my fibre line goes through a 'stabilisation' period between 10-14 days where it finds the best stable speed and Sky were way off the mark with their estimation as I'm about 500m from the exchange and at the start of the 'drop off'. Everytime the BT guys have visited my speed has gone back up to 37mb and the download 5mb but about a week later it's back down to 24mb.

I got fed up being pissed about so called them up to cancel the fibre line. I was kinda hoping they'd say I could have it for free but they didn't ha ha ha. Anyway I'm going back to my 20mb asdl line which I'll get for free so not much of a hardship.

I considered going with BT but the openreach engineers told me it will be going through the same line so it will be the same speed.

I think Sky expected me to get fed up calling them hoping I'd just settle with the 24mb so I'm pissed of with them for messing me about.