Close

Thread: Tropical fish

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tropical fish

Need a bit of help. i have had tropical fish for several all be it in a 70litre tank, 2 days ago i bought a 240 litre tank which was pre used and tobe honest in a bit of a state(algae everwhere), when i received the tank i jetted clean all the parts to remove the algae from the tank and all associated parts, approximately after 24 hours of resetting the tank up all clean and with chlorine reducers. the tank started to get cloudy after i had added 4 natural plants. could somene help me out as to what i was doing wrong, i did a test and it said that i had high amonia. i have since dropped approximately 50 % of the tank and replensished it with aquasafe and water now the fish are not swimming at the top of the water. PS i have lost 2 fish prior to changing water. any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tropical fish

its all about the filter dude fish piss and shit ammonia bacteria start multiplying in the filter that turn this in to nitrites which in turn get turned into nitrates which plants use as food but it take time for the filter to start working fully else you get spikes in these reading you need to try to allow the filter to mature so the natural cycle can take place usualy by putting a few fish in at a time. it sounds to me like youve stoped this happening so its had to start again high lvls of these compounds arent fatal to fish unless there left in them too long youll find your ammonia lvls will drop and your nitrite lvls will go through the roof then they will drop and youll end up with nitrates which plants will use as fuel and also algee most tropical setups rely on water changes at this point to keep your nitrate lvls down. i wouldnt put too mant chemicals into your take tap water stood for 24 hours is usually ok the only other thing to worry about is the ph lvl which if its a comunial tank isnt that much of a problem unless your intending breading

Thanks
    Karma Level

what would u recommend if i change water each day do i use a product like aquasafe to to remove the chlorine from the water as i normally do as using waterr that has stood for 24 hours isn`t an option

Thanks
    Karma Level

Daily 25% water changes. User watersafe and take some water from the filters/sponges each time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just an update. changed 50 percent last night and tank was a little cloudy this morning, as the day has gone on its clearing lovely did a amonia test and reading was 0.8 all othe readings Nitrite and
    Nitrate and ph all within spec. so looks like i am winning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's a bloom it's difficult to get rid of but keeping an eye on the quality of the water and regular changes for a week or so should clear it up. Just make sure the filter works well as said above. If you don't have one get yourself a big filter that uses charcoal as these seem to keep my tank crystal clear with very little maintenance (months since I did a water change)
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil