Close

Thread: Ring Doorbell

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ring Doorbell

No not a sexual technique Det has been trying out. It's an actual doorbell.

https://ring.com/

I spend most my time in my man cave now which is 2 floors up so need some sort of intercom system.

This allows me to get a notification on my phone which I can then talk to the person (and see them).

Has anyone got anything similar to this or even experience with a this doorbell?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ring Doorbell

I don't think that will stay on the wall long once people know what it is and how much it costs. Looks good though, but a lot of money if you don't get many visitors.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They replace them free of charge if it gets stolen.

Thanks to beerman

lagigolo (17th September 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

just about to look but is it similar to skybell, thats been out few years

also check out doorbot and chui
    Last edited by Mobileman; 16th September 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks to Mobileman

beerman (16th September 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I bought one along with the chime unit. So far so good even though I've only had it for a few days. Notifications are quick even on 3g. Picture quality is great and the talk back feature works great.

But I have a few issues I am not happy about which makes me feel a bit of a beta tester rather than a user who paid for a doorbell. Mostly app related which hopefully they can sort with a few updates:

No tablet version of the app, it's widescreen when the notification comes through but the app is portrait only.

I can't turn off the chime from doorbell. It's not that loud but sounds cheesy when someone presses it.

No way of knowing it's actually working. You can't even ping it on your network unless it detects motion or a button press. It goes in a low power state to preserve the battery.

No portrait notification. The app is portrait and yet the notification is landscape so when I get a notification on my phone I have to rotate it. They could easily add this to the app.

The chime unit is upside down on a uk plug. UK Adaptor could have been designed to sit the other way up. Bad design imo.

Nowhere in app to specify quiet times for notifications, be it motion or someone ringing the door.

The app always displays add device even though I've added all my devices. I can see why they've done this to make it obvious in the setup stage, but once that's done I'm not going to add any more. They should remove it and move it to the menu rather than always displayed.

The recent activity needs to be pulled up to refresh not down. Bad design of the app.

No where in the app can I change the IP settings of the doorbell or chime unit. You set this in the initial setup phase.

No time stamping on videos.

My main gripe is there is no live view of the video feed, you can only view when motion or when someone rings the bell. According to their site this is being worked on. I can't see how they will introduce this with it not being on the network all the time unless they take a big hit on the battery or make it available only if it's wired into power.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How do you prove it got nicked? as seems like you could have a few for free and sell on ebay to re-coup your money ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you not just do this with a couple of raspberry Pi's? Seen some good tutorials out there converting existing wireless doorbells.