Ok my problem I think ive narrowed it down to a few things

Playing a game it started to go pear shaped so I left the game only to not leave game and wouldn't go back to windows. whole PC froze. I turned of the pc by the button waited a few seconds to turn it on. The light came on for a few seconds and went off. I then thought there was a heat issue so I waited 10 minutes. then nothing same issue.

I have taken everything out of pc exept the cpu and it still does not do a thing after maybe 2 seconds it turns off. The only way it seems to stay alive is if I unplug the 8 pin "i think that's the cpu socket" plug from the motherboard. If I do this I have power to the motherboard. although nothing else as all has been removed I get lights on the motherboard to say its running.

as soon as I plug in the 8 pin socket to the mother board it likes shorts.

memory has been taken out and does not bring up any issues as when its not populated the issue is still there. hardrives and same it is only when I plug in the cpu power

So whats at fault

the CP
THE MBoard
THE PSU

psu is a 1.2 k beast so not sure if that would die on me
cpu is a 2.6 summat i7
moboard is a ROG asus gene II

not sure where to go here. If I remove the cpu and still have the 8 pin connected it still shorts would this do this even if the cpu is ok but still would do it if there was no cpu in the socket.

I am trying to narrow the problem out but cant say which is at fault

Any help would be apreciated