Canon DSLR sdvice.

Thread: Canon DSLR sdvice.

DJ Overdose said:

Default Canon DSLR sdvice.

So my missus has decicded she wants a DSLR camera for Christmas.

Despite my raving that she doesn't need it, will never use it to its capabilities or will likely never understand it.

As her sister is "into" photography (sigh) she has decided already what see wants. A Canon 600D inc standard lens. I know this is now redundant and replaced by the 700D so my questions are:

Is there a recomended place where I can get the 700D new?

Best I have seen is: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Is there a recomended place where I can get the 600D second hand?

If secondhand, what do I need to look out for, aside from "acutations" and cracked lenses?

Seen a few on eGay, but I am reluctant to buy such things from there if I am honest.

DJ OD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MHP said:

Default Re: Canon DSLR sdvice.

£312 is a cracking price for a 700D with an 18 55 but I've never heard of valuebasket.com. Be aware that for that price it could be a grey import.

If your looking at second hand 600D's then actuations is important. They are a popular choice for photo booths and could be well hammered but look perfect on the outside.

{{909}} said:

The 600D is a 2011 model according to google, why is she set on that model? There'll be plenty to be had s/h but as you probably know, any one you pick up is potentially 4 years old so theres a big area for useage.

The 700D is a few years old and has already been replaced by the 750D, but having faced similar situations with people in the past, just let her buy the one she wants as anything that she doesnt like about the 700D, or if it develops a fault will be directly your fault if you steer her in that direction. Camera models rarely change much in their model iterations anyway so I wouldn't worry too much shes buying outdated tech but from a quick look, it seems the newer models have touch screen and wifi, which may be of interest to a bird.

dpSparhawk said:

Price seems about right for a "Grey import" of a 700D with Kit lens.

I got my 7D and 15-85mm lens from HDEW cameras almost 4 years ago and it's been absolutely fine. I also got my Canon 100L Macro lens from there.

They're selling the 700D with 18-55 kit lens for £329

Some people are wary of Grey imports however HDEW give you the standard 1yr Canon warranty plus you get an extra 2 years warranty. This is with a service centre in Glasgow. Like I said, I've never had a problem with my 7D and I'm sure you've seen my Macros from time to time.

DigitalRev also doing the same camera for £329

As for Valuebasket, never heard of them. I'd recommend going with one of the above two.

DJ Overdose said:

Okay, so looks like ill score the 700d and lens from HDEW. They are based in Surrey, so not far from me if I need to go petrol bomb them if they try and fuck me over.

Thanks guys.

DJ OD

akimba said:

Did you see GadetShow this week they had a section on finding bargins online and one of the things they were tasked with was getting a DLSR camera and he got £200+ quid off from shopping about they gave you websites to look at etc for the bargins, whether to get grey import or not etc. I cant remember the site he got it from in the end but think it was slrhut.co.uk or something.

Might be worth a watch (You tell if you got the right episode as they have a Fishing task in it tooo)

beansontoast said:

I saw some of that show, the URL is below:

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

akimba said:

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    I saw some of that show, the URL is below:

That's the kiddy, looking at the results for pricerunner it says can get for £307.99