Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Man arrested, council says selling free TV streaming boxes is illegal

this is from about 6 miles from me, what a dip shit. as if he didnt know it was wrong.

Geeky Kit raids: Man arrested, council says selling free TV streaming boxes is illegal
    Electronics firm Geeky Kit has apologised after its shops were closed following raids by police and trading standards.

The raids on stores at the Dundas Shopping Arcade, in Middlesbrough town centre, and its sister store in Mill Lane, Billingham
    The company sells electronics items including free TV streaming boxes.

Officers were seen bagging up electrical goods at both shops yesterday.
    Trading standards raid a shop in Dundas Market, Dundas Shopping Arcade
    A statement on Geeky Kit’s Facebook page says: “Hello all, please bear with us for a short while and thank you for your patience.

"The shops will not be open tomorrow (Tuesday).

“We do not control the content that is accessible on the internet via the product that we sell.

"We are currently working with Trading Standards to ensure that we can sell our products whilst adhering to UK copyright laws.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Man arrested, council says selling free TV streaming boxes is illegal

What a bunch of bellends

Always someone manages to spoil it for the many

Thanks

Jaygo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to jaygo

greens117 (22nd November 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Man arrested, council says selling free TV streaming boxes is illegal

It's muggy but if people are dumb enough to pay they deserve to be ripped off.

Was a guy on here the other day saying he was going to buy one pre modded [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Thanks given to Ashley

greens117 (22nd November 2015),  Zoots (17th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

That sign says it all... Free Sky, Virgin, Box Nation etc. daft twat was asking for an early doors knock just for that.

3 Thanks given to burner1

greens117 (22nd November 2015),  stevo25 (18th November 2015),  Zoots (17th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well , after an early burst of activity thought backdoor had been quiet recently now I know why , lol

http://digital-forums.com/showthread...to-be-arrested

Seriously what an idiotic sign , probably annoyed some punter who pays sky £100 a month and has grassed them up

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought they were raided earlier on in the year.

Found the report http://androidpcreview.com/geeky-kit...ice-raid/2553/

Thanks
    Karma Level

https://www.facebook.com/FREE.TV.STREAM.BOX

back in a new location doing exactly the same thing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/FREE.TV.STREAM.BOX

back in a new location doing exactly the same thing.
    looking at the photos on his FB page he is using Virgin logo, i thought Vermin would jump all over him, even has it on the side of his van, im all for doing kodi for my self but advertising for it at those prices is WoW,
    crazy but people who dont know about installing kodi are open to get ripped off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    looking at the photos on his FB page he is using Virgin logo, i thought Vermin would jump all over him, even has it on the side of his van, im all for doing kodi for my self but advertising for it at those prices is WoW,
    crazy but people who dont know about installing kodi are open to get ripped off.
    I dunno how much the boxes are before he adds the chans and shit but looking at the comments on his FB, it looks like his customers are far from the type to even know what Kodi is, let alone capable of installing it and adding channels. For them its a few months Sky subs for an infinitely better service.

Thanks to {{909}}

Over Carl (18th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The greed of the unwashed killed CS. Now they are trying to cash in on KODI/PLEX

Thanks to Geko

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    I dunno how much the boxes are before he adds the chans and shit but looking at the comments on his FB, it looks like his customers are far from the type to even know what Kodi is, let alone capable of installing it and adding channels. For them its a few months Sky subs for an infinitely better service.
    I'm another who pays no interest to this scene but I think that comment is spot on, otherwise should we consider that everyone who knows fa about pc's is getting ripped off if they pay someone to reinstall windows? If someone doesn't know how to fix their car and has to pay a mechanic are they being ripped off? If someone is ill and doesn't know how to create a medicine from scratch are they being ripped off having to pay for some pills?

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    The greed of the unwashed killed CS. Now they are trying to cash in on KODI/PLEX
    Another way of looking at it could be that the greed of the main providers has caused a massive amount of people to consider illegal alternatives. Anywhere in life where there is a major demand that can be profitably fulfilled (legal or not), people will satisfy demand.

The only way I can think of to stamp out this kind of behaviour would be for top level content providers to lock down their services and for example only offer a single key to people who can prove they are just using a single box for personal usage, and charge per box to the traders so they can get an idea of who is selling the products, and cut off people distributing these too publicly. However if that were to happen, I bet that would mean even the single private user would have to pay for his sub, then the prices would gradually rise which would kill the whole scene in a totally different way.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 18th November 2015 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is months old...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...rested-9419599

He's also been cleared of anything illegal so i guess he's back as business as usual.

Thanks to kroner

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    This is months old...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...rested-9419599

He's also been cleared of anything illegal so i guess he's back as business as usual.
    Have you a link to the article please that say's he has been cleared as this would set a legal precedent in UK law and I would be interested to see why

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Have you a link to the article please that say's he has been cleared as this would set a legal precedent in UK law and I would be interested to see why

It was a link on one the FB kodi build pages, i think the judge dismissed it. I'll have a look when i get in.

EDIT - Found it on the beast FB page.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...eased-10420103

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    It was a link on one the FB kodi build pages, i think the judge dismissed it. I'll have a look when i get in.
    Found it you are incorrect

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...eased-10420103

A spokeswoman for Stockton Council said today that the man has been released without charge.

The authority yesterday said the man was still on bail.
    Does not mean he has been cleared far from it, all it means as he has been bailed again and has not yet been charged and considering the Irish guy got 4 years inside for posting links to streams on his website I will be amazed if he is not charged in the end.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

kroner (18th November 2015),  Over Carl (18th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post

Another way of looking at it could be that the greed of the main providers has caused a massive amount of people to consider illegal alternatives.
    I agree. But it's always the chavs that sell it to others on a large scale. The rest of us are just happy enough to watch the footy at a reasonable price.

I am happy to pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, as they are (almost) value for money. SKY is not...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

all this shit ever achieves is giving Sky more reason to raise their prices. I'm sure the percentage of people using these boxes is slim, and of those I am sure a large % of those would never have bought sky or other paid services in the first place. Whenever these guys get busted the news is always full of massively inflated stats.

That said, the seller is a bellend.

Thanks to {{909}}

Bald Bouncer (19th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I retract my statement regarding chavs. To call this man a chav, is an insult to chavs. I can be sure of this as his pictures on FB confirm it.

2 Thanks given to Geko

greens117 (22nd November 2015),  stevo25 (20th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seller of ‘Fully Loaded’ Kodi Boxes Pleads Guilty to Money Laundering

A man who sold so-called "fully loaded Kodi boxes" over a 30 month period has pleaded guilty to money laundering offenses. Julian Allen was arrested by police in 2015 following a joint operation with Trading Standards officers and Sky TV. Authorities will now try to recover more than £135,000.

In June 2015, police and Trading Standards officers in the UK carried out raids on sellers of Android boxes configured to receive unauthorized content. One seller, operating from GeekyKit.com, told customers that his physical shops would be shutting down.

“As you may be aware we were visited yesterday by Sky [television] in conjunction with Trading Standards. Whilst we continue to investigate our position the stores will remain closed and support will remain suspended. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused,” he explained.

Julian Allen was arrested after raids at ‘Geeky Kit’ premises in Billingham and Middlesbrough in the north of England. One of the locations is pictured below.

Despite the seriously incriminating storefront claims, Allen insisted that his businesses couldn’t be held responsible for copyrighted TV shows, movies and sports received by customers on boxes his company supplied.

“We do not control the content that is accessible on the internet via the product that we sell. We are currently working with Trading Standards to ensure that we can sell our products whilst adhering to UK copyright laws,” he said.

This January, Allen appeared before Teesside Crown Court charged with laundering £135,173, money said to have been generated via the sale of pre-loaded set-top boxes and premium packages over a 30-month period.

Allen was expected to appear for a week-long trial scheduled to start this Monday but that was scrapped after the 40-year-old pleaded guilty to using or acquiring criminal property.

According to Gazette Live, a proceeds of crime hearing has been scheduled for next year. In the meantime, Allen was granted unconditional bail until sentencing on October 20, where he faces a potential jail sentence.

“I don’t know what the sentence will be until all the matters are known,” the judge said.

Ever since a European Court of Justice ruling earlier this year that found that selling “fully-loaded” streaming boxes are illegal, people in a similar position to Allen have seen their cases take a turn for the worse.

One such case, involving Middlesbrough shopkeeper Brian Thompson, appears to be progressing under different legislation, however. Thompson stands accused of two offenses under section 296ZB of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, which deals with devices and services designed to circumvent technological measures.

Source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast