Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default I think I have taken I photo that I like

I have been making money out of photography for years shooting sports a few weddings christenings anything that comes along. I offered to shoot a family members wedding (I did her sisters wedding a few years ago as my 2nd wedding and I feel I have never shot a wedding as well as I did that one since) the weather was a bit pants rain all day pretty much, 3:30pm wedding so going to be dark after mixture of lighting the main room so not looking good.

Anyway no chance to get the bride and groom away from the venue due to their son wanting mum, and the very small grass area was water logged so that was out, the rest of the grounds was carpark with an electricity sub station in the corner, an 8 foot high metal fence all around, huge electricity pylon over the top and a mobile phone mast to boot. So a nightmare when I was walking round the place looking for ideas.

Managed to get the gang shots just about before the light went and before everyone froze so everyone disappeared to the bar for the open fire that was in there.

I had seen something similar that a mate had shot so I thought I would have a go, the brides brother helped me as my stand in and I had a go at this and I think it worked pretty well and I think it will become one of the shots take at as many weddings as I can for the future.

A few things I would fix like the grooms head inside the brolly and maybe a little less on the far flash.

Method was LED panel on the floor at the front for focusing light mainly as it was pretty dark, flash 1 at waste height on a light stand at 1/128 firing up in to the umbrella just a normal white umbrella not a photography one then another flash on the floor about 4m away on 1/16angled up both fired by radio triggers. Not much done in lightroom, greyscale and slight vignette and job done

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

17 Thanks given to Little John

Show/Hide list of the thanked

akimba (24th November 2015),  Ashley (23rd November 2015),  BigBird (23rd November 2015),  Bilbo_baggin (23rd November 2015),  Bobby Bouché (24th November 2015),  cassy34 (24th November 2015),  crazyal (23rd November 2015),  cybollox (24th November 2015),  Fear345 (25th November 2015),  inspectercoley (7th December 2015),  kroner (23rd November 2015),  MHP (23rd November 2015),  Mystical_2K (24th November 2015),  Scal (23rd November 2015),  supraman54 (24th November 2015),  TheFincher (23rd November 2015),  tips (23rd November 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I think I have taken I photo that I like

Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I bet for the couple they will love that with the weather being as it was - well done mate.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wish you were the honeymoon photographer too, bride looks hot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fantastic shot, how did you stop your kit getting wet?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very atmospheric lj and pin sharp too.

Have you tried cropping much tighter into a portrait as opposed to landscape image. I've just zoomed in on my phone and I prefer it. I can see your thinking with rule of thirds but I don't think anything to the left and right of the couple add to the shot, if anything the windows on both sides are a distraction.

However still a great idea and set up, and a brilliant capture.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didnt. Only the triggers are not weather sealed so just wiped them and let them dry naturally after

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's a cracking photo. Would look awesome on a large canvas in their home. Very well done. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Superb that mate very original.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi MML
    As it was my only photo of the venue which was not photographic in anyway you can see this was shot in the carpark I thought it was important to include the venue after all the couple chosen the place for some reason, I will probably do a portrait crop as well when I deliver the images. The capture of the rain drops with the rear flash I believe is part of the image which also is part of the reason for leaving it all in.

I saw the Brides mum and gran yesterday and both of them love the image and the Groom and his mum both like it and I think I have at least 1 other wedding booking based on this image when I posted it on facebook.

I love the shot so much that I think I will be doing similar shots at all the weddings I do, later in the evenings low light and the brolly lit by a flash to illuminate the couple. The hard part is getting the couple together and away from the party It is surprising how little time a newly married couple spent together during their reception the groom is usually with his mates and the bride socializing with their guests.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup: