Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

Saw it elsewhere - makes interesting reading if nothing else.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...rette-smokers/

Diacetyl, a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease, was found in more than 75 percent of flavored electronic cigarettes and refill liquids tested by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Two other related, potentially harmful compounds were also found in many of the tested flavors, which included varieties with potential appeal to young people such as cotton candy, “Fruit Squirts,” and cupcake.

The*study*was published online today in Environmental Health Perspectives.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the flavoring industry have warned workers about diacetyl because of the association between inhaling the chemical and the debilitating respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, colloquially known as “popcorn lung” because it first appeared in workers who inhaled artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn processing facilities.

“Recognition of the hazards associated with inhaling flavoring chemicals started with ‘popcorn lung’ over a decade ago. However, diacetyl and other related flavoring chemicals are used in many other flavors beyond butter-flavored popcorn, including fruit flavors, alcohol flavors, and, we learned in our study, candy-flavored e-cigarettes,” said lead author Joseph Allen, assistant professor of exposure assessment sciences.

There are currently more than 7,000 varieties of flavored e-cigarettes and e-juice (nicotine-containing liquid that is used in refillable devices) on the market. Although the popularity and use of e-cigarettes continues to increase, there is a lack of data on their potential health effects. E-cigarettes are not currently regulated, although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a proposed rule to include e-cigarettes under its authority to regulate certain tobacco and nicotine-containing products.

Allen and colleagues tested 51 types of flavored e-cigarettes and liquids sold by leading brands for the presence of diacetyl, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione, two related flavoring compounds that the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association lists as “high priority,” i.e., they may pose a respiratory hazard in the workplace. Each e-cigarette was inserted into a sealed chamber attached to a lab-built device that drew air through the e-cigarette for eight seconds at a time with a resting period of 15 or 30 second between each draw. The air stream was then analyzed.

At least one of the three chemicals was detected in 47 of the 51 flavors tested. Diacetyl was detected above the laboratory limit of detection in 39 of the flavors tested. Acetoin and 2,3-pentanedione were detected in 46 and 23 and of the flavors, respectively.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

Saw this last night and immediately checked what was in the ones I have and they seem alright but I have always said that without regulation of ingredients nobody really knows the score. A lot of the American juices have reports done on content which is better than I have seen with uk juice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stick to smoking crack I say...

Its all confidence and paranoia. The problem is too many people are using vaping as a substitute to smoking and using ecigs constantly. Higher power batteries, bigger tanks, nice flavoured juice. Vaping is to smoking what alcopop are to a pint of beer, well in a sense anyway.

Ecigs are going to be healthier than smoking regardless of what shite they put in the liquids. That is until people are vaping so much they are overdosing on them generally. Rather than using ecigs as a tool to help quit smoking altogether.

Vaping now is becoming and industry. Shops on every high street. Someone somewhere isn't going to be happy about all that money and no tax...

Not to mention manufacturers cutting corners. And in a relatively unregulated market, customers will be the first to suffer.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently Diacetyl is found in a lot of the custard type flavours as it has a butter like taste.
    I read up on it a few months ago and it was said to be harmless when ingested within food (such as popcorn) however was potentially dangerous when inhaled as a vapour.
    I make my own liquids now and buy my flavours to make the custard taste from Capella that are named Vanilla Custard V2 and French Vanilla V2 which have the nasties taken out of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldnt worry too much. Breathing the air in our atmosphere has also been linked to lung disease

3 Thanks given to Geko

DJ OD (9th December 2015),  Ganty (9th December 2015),  ilscuro (9th December 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing in that report which states what brands are being used. Useful.

Also, ECITA, the electronic cigarette trade association, will run tests on manufactured e juice. Just the 2k a month membership fee to contend with.

I buy all my flavourings from flavourart, who were the 1st company to stop the use of diacetyl and acetoin.

This is all a massive ploy due to the upcoming TPB regulations next year. Crafters and flavour houses will get shafted so all the manufacturing is done by big business, causing the indies to go underground.

It's warmer there, at least.