Close

Thread: CCTV

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention CCTV

Hi

need some advise i looking to change my cameras to recording into the cloud, any suggestions on best ip cameras to use that i can buy from the uK?

I been reading up all day online but then some say you can see images if it records movements, i want constant recording to a cloud based system

any feedback would be very welcome

many thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CCTV

Live streaming to the cloud IP camera may cost a fair amount! Not 100% sure there is anything consumer based to do constant and not just movement.
    How about edge storage on the camera it self?

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

Thanks to grrrd

Nikki (5th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Constant recording for 2 decent hd ip cameras takes about 1tb in 5 days so how many Cameras do you have and how long do you need the recordings for then look at the storage cloud costs be very pricey I'd imagine defo not a home solution unless your bill gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Mobileman

Nikki (5th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmmm now you say that maybe the images will be the best stored into the cloud

I am looking two cameras maximum, any recommendations? thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a thought, does it need to be cloud based?

E.g. if you setup your own server at the premises and properly configure it, you have the same accessibility as a cloud solution.

If having the data backed up offsite is the issue, cheapest way out is to setup a box at another location (so for example you have a server at the premises and one at home). So using my example, the server on premises would be recording 24x7 and would be accessible for instant viewing from mobile phone, etc. Then run a nightly rsync job to synchronise all the recordings to the server running at home.

If it was a solution I was setting up for myself, that is probably what I would do as I would be willing to check on the box at my house once a week/month or so to ensure backups are coming over, and therefore ensure the main box is still recording. If it was a solution for someone else, I can see for you it would be preferential to set it all up once recording to the cloud then you can wash your hands of it. If you are dealing with a corporate customer/boss/etc, then I would explain the various options as I wouldn't be surprised if they heard someone talking about a cloud based system and without understanding the details decided that is what they must have.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

Mobileman (5th January 2016),  Nikki (5th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers over carl

this is just for a home solution, I am just looking for a solution to record any movements somewhere, and I can use my phone to view when I out at work etc..

when I lookthrough online so many options, I just want to buy one with simple setup lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    cheers over carl

this is just for a home solution, I am just looking for a solution to record any movements somewhere, and I can use my phone to view when I out at work etc..

when I lookthrough online so many options, I just want to buy one with simple setup lol
    Fairly cheap, can be viewed from phone, motion alerts, etc: http://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_193393.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.motorolahome.com/hubble

Motorola do offer a cloud subscription service for movement on their cameras.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only issue I see with a nightly Rsync is that if someone breaks in and takes the dvr before the Rsync then the important event would be missing. I'm in a similar situation with a 4 camera DVR which I can access via phone etc. but there isn't an offsite option.

Also has anyone got recommendations for replacement (ie better) external cameras?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hide the DVR/server somewhere that no one would ever figure out like behind a false wall or something (idea stolen from someone on this forum I won't name for security reasons). For bonus marks, get another real cheap smelly DVR, wire up a load of co-ax cables and power, leave it running somewhere obvious but slightly hidden - e.g. behind a reception desk, with a cheap b&w screen on top of it, and you should be sorted unless the person doing the naughty knows exactly where everything is.

I suggested a nightly rsync to avoid bandwidth being hammered when people may want to use it - I've been in the habit of letting humans use internet in the daytime, then when everyone is asleep, that's the time for machines to get their chance to hammer the net for their boring tasks. If security was a priority, then could set up more regular rsync jobs. The problem is if you made the offsite server (or cloud server) the primary storage location, all it would take is an internet outage (or someone to cut the BT line, switch off router, etc), and no recordings are being made at all anywhere. I believe this problem/vulnerability pre-dates modern IP based CCTV systems e.g. if tapes and time lapse VCR was stolen in the act of a theft, then the whole system is totally useless, and you wouldn't have had time to take the tapes offsite.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 5th January 2016 at 01:17 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    The only issue I see with a nightly Rsync is that if someone breaks in and takes the dvr before the Rsync then the important event would be missing. I'm in a similar situation with a 4 camera DVR which I can access via phone etc. but there isn't an offsite option.

Also has anyone got recommendations for replacement (ie better) external cameras?
    Thats where edge storage comes into its own - cameras still record locally when NVR/DVR is offline

Thanks to grrrd

Over Carl (5th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just use Blue Iris locally to monitor a Hikvision and Dahua camera which are both local and then a Wansview camera which is remote and then have that email me any motion alerts which covers me in case anyone breaks in and nicks the server

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive got all foscams and using there cloud to upload to not bad priced for 8 camera either
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm not sure the IP camera route is the way to go nowadays considering most if not all current DVR's have built in web servers that can be accessed either by phone or pc / laptop
    some allow direct recording of the web feed to what ever device you use to view the footage more or less all of them allow email notification when movement is detected and 1080p full HD systems are now quite affordable

the problem with the CCTV market is it's a bit of a minefield there are 4 HD systems i know of ( there may be more ) and all are incompatible with each other. there are standard definition systems advertising themselves as HD when in reality there glorified SD
    i went for a samsung hybrid kit which will accept SD and 1080p HD cameras so i could still use my existing cameras and add new HD cameras but even this system isn't perfect it will only use samsungs own HD cameras and there not that easy to find and tend to cost £100 apiece but they work well and seem to be worth the money ( so far )

if you just want web access to the footage or real time monitoring you could use more or less any current DVR based system
    using an android app on my phone called ip cam viewer i can record the footage as i watch it or just takes snapshots which is no different than i could do with an ip camera