Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Vinyl Turntables (digital)

I don't get the point in these, surely once a vinyl has been directly converted to digital the record is no longer needed. Okay, so a few people will use them for scratching but for the mass market surely people just have to sit back and wait for digital copies of their favourite vinyls to turn up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vinyl Turntables (digital)

When you say digital I'm assuming you mean the USB facility available on the plethora of cheap plastic turntables that have hit the market. I think the main reason for them is to negate the need for a separate phono amp, amplifier and speakers and just pipe the audio into a PC or laptop. Ripping vinyl from one of these is always going to be inferior to using good hifi equipment and recording via a decent sound card input. However, waiting for digital copies of vinyl to turn up is not always possible. I've got dance tunes from the 70', 80's and 90's that have never made it to CD or digital download and probably never will.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well Sony just announced a hi-def turntable with a usb output so I'm assuming they went for quite high quality in comparison to the currently available digital conversion vinyl tables. I get that some people will have stuff they want to record off old vinyls but is it really a mass market product? I don't think so.

Thanks to Mule

MHP (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Sony PS-HX500

tocadiscos-sony-ps-hx500.jpg

The HiDef bit is interesting, It's got an onboard DSD native converter. If its a proper 1 Bit and done well then the recordings should sound very good. At £400 though, its firmly in audiophile territory.

Thanks to MHP

Mule (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know.. 400 notes is a bit steep and it looks cheap in my opinion.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not a DJ or anything so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

However, I doubt this is intended for scratching/mixing - I believe most DJ's who would be doing that kind of thing would not use a turntable without pitch control.

The only niche I can imagine this will fill is people who have reasonable to large quantities of vinyl who wish to make their own digital copies.

This will include people who have vinyl and cannot find digital versions, but also probably will include people who have the original vinyl and wish to make the highest quality digital copies they can, instead of finding something of questionable/unknown quality on the net, and also will include people who have no desire to download "dodgy" copies, and are reluctant to shell out thousands of pounds say on iTunes to purchase inferior quality copies of stuff they already have.

I agree they probably aren't a product that most people will buy, but I could probably make a massive list of items I own that I doubt would appeal to the masses.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

Ashley (7th January 2016),  stevo25 (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I'm not a DJ or anything so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

However, I doubt this is intended for scratching/mixing - I believe most DJ's who would be doing that kind of thing would not use a turntable without pitch control.
    Also if you look at the spec its belt driven, great for audiophiles , not so great for dj's

2 Thanks given to stevo25

Mule (7th January 2016),  Over Carl (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vinyl hasnt been mass market for about a decade, but there's always been support by purists. It's great that anyone with a huge collection of records can still enjoy them but I am not sure they will rush to buy this over their existing turntable. For me the rip-your-own aspect seems pointless but I still see the appeal of actually playing tunes off vinyl.
    Technics just announced they're releasing a new version of their legendary 1200's too.

Thanks to {{909}}

Over Carl (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vinyl sales are up considerably over the last couple of years. Driven by the hipster/retro/shoreditch massive...

Not sure how true that is, but they are no way near what they were pre 2000.

Technics stopped making their flagship DJ turntables a few years ago. Then out of no where, Panasonic announced they are making a new version, the 1200G with a companion limited edition version as well. Prices not confirmed.

Back in the day a new 1200/1210 was £350.

Fuck ripping vinyl. Right pain in the arse. It may well appeal to audiophiles as nowadays the warmth of analogue may be captured digitally as well with higher spec sound cards and software.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post

Technics stopped making their flagship DJ turntables a few years ago. Then out of no where, Panasonic announced they are making a new version, the 1200G with a companion limited edition version as well. Prices not confirmed.

Back in the day a new 1200/1210 was £350.

DJ OD
    Bloody Hell
    http://www.whathifi.com/news/technic...will-cost-4000

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

https://serato.com/hardware/rane-sl2

Perfect mix of vinyl and digital. Take your ripped, produced or downloaded tracks and play them on decks using time coded vinyls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
    Unlikely I reckon. That price will be the limited edition one probably. Inline with other limited edition 1200's like the gold plated one etc. Will be £500 I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    https://serato.com/hardware/rane-sl2

Perfect mix of vinyl and digital. Take your ripped, produced or downloaded tracks and play them on decks using time coded vinyls.
    Yeah loads of DVS solutions available now. I have Rane Serato when it was a new thing years ago. Then I broke it and bought a replacement cheaper brand just so I could mix mp3's at home on turntables. Called Spin! By reloop. It's not as good but more than does the job.

Plus nowadays you can get maps for all the kit. Provided ur time code vinyls match the software you are fine. Think a program called mixxx (open source and free) supports most hardware and time codes.

Will probably get a Serato mixer when my mixer next packs up and then can do without the magic box altogether.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

beerman (7th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am collecting my favourite albums on Vinyl. But I probably wouldn't bother if there were more 24bit digital copies of albums available.

The music is encoded to fit on a cd or for itunes or spotify etc. I want it as it was mixed in the studio, the closest way of getting that is to buy the vinyl.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read that the recent boom in vinyl was mainly down to Tesco stocking some over priced box sets or represses of classic albums and there was a suspicion that a high % would never get played, just bought for nostalgia and to look cool.

This has also fucked over the handful of DJs that still play vinyl as the few record pressing houses left are now inundated with orders for pink floyd etc and can't press small runs of d'n'b until they've cleared the backlog of orders from Tesco which will take weeks. No DJ is gonna wait 3 weeks to press a tune when he can play it that night from .mp3

Nail in the coffin I think.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't say I've heard that TBH. There's loads of indy pressers about if you know how to find one. What's changed is before people would go to a studio to make a tune and the studio would likely be tied or connected to labels or pressers. What you won't see now is Indy record labels releasing tracks more than a few. So many labels ran for like 3 or 4 records and disappeared.

ive noticed on eBay there are less records (talking about dance stuff here not albums or easy listening) and collections for sale. Implying the records are all with the people that want them so to speak.

DJ OD