Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Man-cave cum cinema

Hey guys,

I have a 2.8 meter by 2.8 meter box room to finally create my gentleman's retreat... free of children and wife. It will be my WFH office with a desk, 2 seater sofa and the piece de resistance... a home cinema. The plan is to have a motorised 2.4 meter screen (120") and a ceiling mounted short throw projector (BenQ W1080ST) which will allow me to project a 120" image at about 2 meters away. Any tips or things to watch out for in terms of common mistakes since I won't really get a 2nd chance once I've ordered all the stuff.

I've never owned a projector and am also assuming that watching a 120" image from 2.8 meters away won't be too much of a mind fuck (I'm looking for immersive )

Cheers
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Man-cave cum cinema

Common mistake is not getting a wipe clean screen if you are that close and watching 120" bushy amateurs as YOU would.

Thanks to BertRoot

GTI (8th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You're too kind Berty... 9ft is quite a distance, even for a virile young man like myself.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

BertRoot (8th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a similar setup GTI but i have a bit more distance from projector to screen due a bay window which gives me about an extra 700mm.
    I've got a optoma projector and 120" electric screen and it is pretty immersive but not over kill
    Not much can go wrong really If you have used a projector calc for your projector to work out your maximum distance you should be good, I bought a cheap universal bracket off ebay for the projector and have it all running through a onkyo amp via a long hdmi and kef 5.1 sound.

Don't forget a 240v feed off a spur for your electric screen and one for where your mounting your projector... I was lucky as i had to overboard the room so got all my wiring in before hand

Thanks to JONNYG

GTI (8th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JONNYG View Post
    I have a similar setup GTI but i have a bit more distance from projector to screen due a bay window which gives me about an extra 700mm.
    I've got a optoma projector and 120" electric screen and it is pretty immersive but not over kill
    Not much can go wrong really If you have used a projector calc for your projector to work out your maximum distance you should be good, I bought a cheap universal bracket off ebay for the projector and have it all running through a onkyo amp via a long hdmi and kef 5.1 sound.

Don't forget a 240v feed off a spur for your electric screen and one for where your mounting your projector... I was lucky as i had to overboard the room so got all my wiring in before hand
    Thats a fantastic tool on the BenQ site.. cheers matey.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a 92 inch screen and it's big enough at 12 foot away. 120inch at 9 foot might be a bit overkill.

Here's mine although the screen size has jumped up from 84inches to 92 since those pics.
    http://digital-forums.com/showthread...=1#post3805599

I've also had a bit of a tidy, racked my server kit, installed the projector on the ceiling, installed 6 phillips hue lights around the room, added a second cheap projector and the old 84 inch screen projecting onto the left wall so I can have xbox sessions with mates and added black out curtains.
    It's still a work in progress but getting there slowly. I still need to decorate and clear some more crap out the room.

I spend all my time in this room now. I haven't used downstairs since I mounted the projector on the ceiling.

2 Thanks given to beerman

crazyal (9th January 2016),  GTI (8th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Btw that projctor you may see the rainbow effect as it's a DLP. I'm sure you have already but check some reviews. Also factor in the cost of replacement lamps and how long they last.

Thanks to beerman

GTI (8th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing to add other than very jealous.

Once the kids move out this is my first project, problem is kids range from 4 -10, so will be a long wait.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did a garage conversion in 2008 which has had little changed to it since then. If you are hiding cables, just ensure you get all of them installed that you think you'll need - try to future-proof yourself a bit and dont skimp on cable costs. If you get good stuff then you'll never really have to change it.

Still rocking a Optoma HD65 that is 720p but it gives a very good image after varying hours of calibration.

7.1 setup consisting of QA speakers all round.

Themescene HD65 projector
    92" Beaded screen
    55" Samsung (behind screen)
    PS3, PS4, XB360, XB1
    Onkyo 606 Amp
    Windows 10 Media PC with 7" Touchscreen

Last edited by crazyal; 9th January 2016 at 06:56 PM.

5 Thanks given to crazyal

beerman (9th January 2016),  Clubber Lang (11th January 2016),  GTI (10th January 2016),  Mobileman (9th January 2016),  pattikins (12th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Man-cave cum cinema
    Oh GTI... I'm disappointed in you, I really am.

Thanks to Mule

GTI (12th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Otoma DLP 720p hd Projector with a electric 100"" remote screen connected via a 15m Hdmi lead into an Onyko 7.1 Amp. I wired the Projector into the 6amp lighting circuit.

Okay here's the thing, at my previous address it was 14 feet from the screen and it filled the full 100 "" screen without any problem, however since moving house 3 Years a go and reinstalling said system, I'm now only 12 feet from Projector to the screen and I can tell you that it is impossible to fill the screen now, about 3 or 4"" inches all the way around screen and worse than that it is only just able to focus using the adjustable controls on the Projector. My fear's are that you are possibly going to be a little too close with Projector and screen and may well encounter the above problems !, check spec of your Projector for minimum/maximum distances permitted. As for bulbs they are good for 1000's of hours and mine has a hours used counter, after several Years of use, I'm miles away from it's expected lifespan. They are quite expensive though should you need to obtain a replacement, mine in particular is in the order of about £110.

Regards

Thanks to Lestronics

GTI (12th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dammit, cant find any pics of my man cave at the moment GTI but i can get you a couple of pics tonight if you want, i project to a 3M wide screen and the projector is sat approx 3M away from the screen.

just to mention, if you find that the screen is not full, double check the output resolution of the device connected to the projector, when i have my laptop connected the screen is 100% filled but if i connect up an android box running Kodi then the screen is approx 60% filled
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

GTI (12th January 2016)