Close

View Poll Results: Should the UK remain part of the EU under the current (pre-negotiation) rules?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 18.42%
  • No

31 81.58%
  • Undecided

0 0%
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1429343536373839
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Should the UK remain part of the EU under the current rules (before re-negotiatio

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Personally I feel that kind of thought could be dangerous.

Lets say we demanded a 2/3 majority, then something wouldn't go our way so we would want a 75% majority, then an 80% majority........
    No, I completely agree that the goal posts cannot be moved after the event. However before the voting commences, it should be stated that to move away from the status quo, the alternative should be convincing enough to achieve a super majority. In much the same way that a death penalty shouldn't be handed down without a unanimous Jury decision.. the consequences are just too grave for a simple 7:5 majority.

Thanks to GTI

4me2 (28th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Should the UK remain part of the EU under the current rules (before re-negotiatio

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    No, I completely agree that the goal posts cannot be moved after the event. However before the voting commences, it should be stated that to move away from the status quo, the alternative should be convincing enough to achieve a super majority. In much the same way that a death penalty shouldn't be handed down without a unanimous Jury decision.. the consequences are just too grave for a simple 7:5 majority.
    Although I voted to leave and am happy with the result I find myself agreeing with you to a point. On a decision that takes the country into unknown territory maybe there should be a more convincing majority. However in this case I think that remaining is somewhat unknown territory because while the EU is trying to head towards even greater integration, at the same time huge 500 mile fences are being erected across borders, and Germany, one of the main countries steering the EU's direction, is being heavily criticised by other counties for causing the mess. The Euro has had its share of problems and I think the worst is yet to come. Another five countries on course to join in the next few years. Anyone got a crystal ball? because without one no one really knows what the EU is going to look like in ten years time.

Maybe we should have waited a few years to see how things turn out within the EU before having the vote, but its done now and democracy must prevail so lets get on with it. It is very likely we will have a deal allowing free trade and movement of people after Brexit, but at least we will be closer to the door marked exit, or just outside, if things get too hot. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

9 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (27th June 2016),  cyprus (27th June 2016),  CzarJunkie (27th June 2016),  flumperino (27th June 2016),  Ganty (27th June 2016),  koola2 (27th June 2016),  MajorFU (27th June 2016),  Over Carl (27th June 2016),  piggzy (27th June 2016)  

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1429343536373839