Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Email addresses and whos doing what with them

ok peeps while back (prob 3-5 years lol) I remember reading an article about email addresses
    and how you could tag an email to keep track of which website or places were sending them on to other companys etc

now say i registered my email with amazon and it was something like

mobileman @ 123email.com , now you actually registered the email as mobileman @ 123email.comamazon

this way when you registered an email to a new website/account etc you could see if and where its used by other firms

or something along those lines, anyone got any ideas ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Email addresses and whos doing what with them

I think it was more like:

Amazon @ mydomain.com
    Ebay @ mydomain.com
    Etc

With a catch all setup so all mail gets sent to one email box.

With gmail, you can use:

myname+ AnythingYouWant@gmail.com to keep track and filter messages.

Thanks to wadgey

Mobileman (26th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I use one of my own domain names with a catch all set up then say on amazon my email is amazon@mydomain.com on ebay ebay@mydomain.com etc so if my email address is passed on I automatically know by whom

Edit: beat me to it

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BigBird (26th January 2016),  Mobileman (26th January 2016),  Rick Sanchez (13th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The general idea seems not a bad one. However I think on eBay, buyers may sometimes get to see sellers email address and vice versa (I'm most happy to be corrected if anyone knows for certain). If that is correct then any spam could be the result of an annoyed eBay user rather than eBay/Paypal themselves.

Thanks to Over Carl

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Great idea but a pain in the ass to read all of those inbox's lol
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I've got my own domains but sure I had read a way of doing it with existing email address I'll have another hunt on web sure there was a thread on here also with the article but can't find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Great idea but a pain in the ass to read all of those inbox's lol
    You just check 1 inbox though as you receive all emails to that domain, shouldn't make any difference in checking than if you just have the single email address.

Thanks to Rhinoz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Personally I use one of my own domain names with a catch all set up then say on amazon my email is amazon@mydomain.com on ebay ebay@mydomain.com etc so if my email address is passed on I automatically know by whom

Edit: beat me to it
    Same here. Have my own domain name so when giving my email I use myebay@domain.com, myamazon@domain.com, etc. All come into the same account because those addresses don't actually exist as such and the domain is set to catch all @domain.com. If any one or more of the email addresses become a serious target for spam, not only can I see which company sold it on but I can also create it as a valid email address and then set it to trash all mail sent to that address.

The only problem with a catch all setting is that I get multiple identical spam sent to non existent email addresses like uuy356673h@domain.com or 098777dgd@domain.com, etc. Do you have this problem BB? Would love to hear if you have any ideas to prevent it without having to create valid email addresses for all the different ones I have used for different companies. (">

Thanks to BigBird

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do this too and get all sorts of random crap - it's scary sometimes which addresses from common companies are sold on and you never hear about it in the news.

The likes of Vision Express have all sold my details on to spammers. At one point I'd use the full domain name before the @ sign so I could really pinpoint it but now I just use the name and that's enough to track it back. In all that time I've only ever found one or two websites that wouldn't accept it as a valid domain (it seems they don't like being tracked).

And yes get loads of random ones too which are made up as I've never used them - at one point one of the spammers used one of my domains as the sender address and the amount of abuse I got back was amazing - I couldn't believe how many people actually replied to the garbage they'd been sent.

I just use catch all aliases on my domains and send it all to Gmail which is surprisingly good at filtering spam these days.

Things have definitely moved on from the days of using Forte Agent

2 Thanks given to reverend

BigBird (26th January 2016),  Mobileman (26th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    The only problem with a catch all setting is that I get multiple identical spam sent to non existent email addresses like uuy356673h@domain.com or 098777dgd@domain.com, etc. Do you have this problem BB? Would love to hear if you have any ideas to prevent it without having to create valid email addresses for all the different ones I have used for different companies. (">
    Yes although this is an issue with having a domain as they harvest the domain names and just mail to them using either trash or generic names like sales@ admin@ so not much you can do about it other than spam trap

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BigBird (26th January 2016),  Mobileman (26th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm I'm really liking this idea! Anyone have a decent guide?
    I've been selling off most of my unused domains as I had way to many!
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

not the the article i read a while back but similar, looks like was option 2 i was on about

EDIT..... Checked and works fine on gmail but fails using my domains so now just update email address registered to include there name for all my gmail registered stuff

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1-aweso...out-seriously/A Gmail Address Tip You Can Put to Use

Additionally, I just also found out that you can embed random text to your email ID using ‘+’ sign. That is to say ‘GeorgeBush+anythingyouwant@gmail.com’ can be used as your email address, as well.
    Ok I got it. Now what?
    1. One email for every purpose

Instead of using different Gmail email addresses for various purposes (work, school, friends, etc.) you can use different variations of your Gmail and filter incoming mails by ‘sent to’ address. For instance, all incoming mail sent to ‘Name.Surname@gmail.com’ can be put to folder ‘work’, messages sent to ‘NameSurname@gmail.com’ can be put to ‘friends’, ‘N.ameSurname@gmail.com’ can be used for newsletters, and so on.

2. Track/Block spammers

When signing up for some website, say thatwebsite.com, you can add thatwebsite to your Gmail user ID (eg. GeorgeBush+thatwebsite@gmail.com). This way you can block your subscription whenever you want and even identify those websites that distribute your email address to spammers.
    UPDATE:
    Hello folks, here is another EXCELLENT find for Gmailers. Download Gmail Cheat Sheet to learn and master keyboard shortcuts. You might be surprised how much faster you can get with them. Plus most are pretty intuitive so you won’t need to memorize them. You can download printable one page long Gmail shortcut sheet from here.

Last edited by Mobileman; 26th January 2016 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks to Mobileman

Bald Bouncer (26th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work in Outlook/my server :'(