Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sky Q

Anyone getting this of these robbing cunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxwFeRuRGSg

Sky's got something big coming. And no, it's not a new channel dedicated solely to reruns of Pixar flicks – although we'd love to see that too. It's Sky Q, an all new premium pay-TV platform that the broadcaster is tipping as "the biggest reimagining of Sky in our history" - so, a pretty big deal then.
    Adding new features, introducing a new UI, and throwing in new hardware with a new price point to boot, Sky Q marks a seismic shift in Sky's TV efforts. Here's everything you need to know about the upcoming, Netflix-rivalling service.

he wait is almost over. The Sky Q release date has been confirmed and it's coming sooner than you might have expected. In fact it's just days away from launch.
    ​Sky has confirmed that Sky Q will be available to buy from February 9 - that's a little over a week away - although it won't be in your living room straight away. Installs will begin "at the end of the month".​Exactly when installs will begin is still a little unclear, but the wait shouldn't be a long one.
    ​Sky Q Price: How much will Sky Q cost?
    OK, let's get it out of the way early, the Sky Q price isn't going to play nice with your bank balance - sorry folks. ​Sadly, despite Sky repeatedly claiming that "it's time to set your TV free", this is anything but a literal claim where costing is concerned.
    Instead of turning its back on costly monthly charges, Sky Q is about to make your subscription even more expensive

According to the TV giant, Sky Q will set subscribers back an average of £12 per month more than the comparative Sky+ HD deal. That's a lot of money for a new box and a polished interface.​Sky Q prices will start at £42 per month - plus a £99 install charge. That's just for the basic model too.
    The Sky Q Silver bundle - which adds multi TV pause and play features, more storage and 4K support - will cost £54 per month plus installation. Throw Sky's movies and sports content into the mix, and these prices are quickly going to rocket skywards.
    The more you add, however, the less the price increases affect you. An all-in Sky+ HD bundle with sports and movies will set you back £87 per month. The same all access content on Sky Q will cost £88.50 per month. That's just £1.50 a month difference - or a couple of Mars bars.
    What is Sky Q? A revolution in TV viewing explained
    OK, you know when it's coming and how much it will hit you for, but what exactly is Sky Q?Dubbed a new "super-premium" pay-TV package, Sky Q isn't a service that will change the content you watch (there's no additional channels or exclusive shows here), but it will change how you watch it

Very much a new service, not a mere spit-and-polish, Sky Q includes everything from a reworked, more user-friendly UI and 4K content support, to advanced on-demand options and improved cross-device and offline viewing. It's not a Sky+ HD replacement though. Instead it will sit above the company's existing HD packages - likely with a price tag to match.
    Offering an improved blend of live and on-demand content, the service lines up more as a challenger to the latest VoD services, bringing the fight to Netflix, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TVall at once.
    It's not just about the living room TV, either. Sky Q, through the use of additional 'Mini' set-top boxes and dedicated tablet apps, will let households enjoy both live and on-demand viewing across three TVs and two tablets simultaneously – that's a serious amount of viewing.
    Still not enough for you? A new 'Sky Q Sync' feature will also you take your recordings out of the house

On recording options, there's plenty of them. With Sky Q, the days of content clash are well and truly over - unless you have a seriously unhealthy TV addiction, that is. The service lets you watch and record multiple shows, across multiple devices simultaneously. A lot of simultaneous shows at that.
    On the main Sky Q box you can record four live broadcasts while you watch a fifth. And that's before you throw in further viewing via the additional Sky Q Mini boxes and accompanying, tablet-friendly Sky Q app. Every member of a very full household can enjoy what they want, simultaneously, with feeds to spare.
    Sky Q Features: All aboard the 4K bandwagon
    It's time to wave goodbye to Sky's familiar blue background and text-heavy interface, Sky Q's got something else in mind. OK, so there's a new shade of blue to keep things pretty familiar, but elsewhere it's all change. Honest.

Having taken design pointers from the likes of Netflix and Amazon Fire TV, the reworked Sky Q UI features an image-led interface that better helps pull together the company's extensive box sets and movie catalogues with live showings. With a list of content types (TV Guide, Catch-up, Recording, My Q) sitting on the left of the screen, the right-hand side is dedicated to picture-heavy pullouts of top content. This makes finding desired content more user-friendly and less text-heavy.
    Pleasingly, this easy on the eye design is the same across all platforms. Whether enjoying Sky Q through the new set-top box, Mini boxes or tablet app, there's the same, simple to navigate experience – handy.

This cross-device uniformity comes into its own with 'My Q', a feature that lets you jump pick-up and put-down content without losing your place. Pause a film on your living room TV and you'll be able to press play – from exactly where you left it – on your tablet or bedroom telly.
    It's not just how you access content that Sky Q is changing, it's the quality of the stuff too. 4K is the future of TV, that's a fact, and Sky Q will play nice with its UHD ways. Although there'll be no 4K content on day one - you'll have to wait until later in 2016 for that - all the Sky Q hardware is 4K ready.

While there's no new programming heading exclusively to Sky Q, given its increased online focus, YouTube and Vevo apps offered added viewing options. Curated online channels boost things on this front too. There's even a dedicated cute cats channel to help pass the hours - aww.
    Sky Q Box and Remote: All change on the hardware front
    Now all these design and feature improvements would be no good without the hardware to power them. Here, Sky Q has something special. Well, a few special things actually.

There's a new set-top box, the Sky Q Silver, which measure up roughly half the size of the existing Sky+HD unit you've got sat under your TV. Despite its newly compacted form, it plays host to 12 tuners and 2TB of internal storage. That's five times more space than today's standard HD box, and enough to store hundreds of films and more TV shows than you're ever likely to watch.

Sky's not getting all egotistical about the content push either. The Sky Q box offers Apple Air Play support to let you cast your own content and features a number of online apps, including YouTube, GoPro and Red Bull channels. There's no Netflix app on day one, but we've been told it could be on the cards in the near future.
    The Sky Q Silver box will be the focal point of the service, but Sky Q is about far more than a single product. It's a fully connected, home-encompassing service. Integral to this is the new Sky Q Mini box, a compact, connected set-top box that syncs to your new home system as opposed to the dish on the outside of your property.
    Playing nice with the new Sky Q Hub router, the platform, as well as supporting all the latest Wi-Fi standards, can send internet over your home's electrical network to every device. This turns any Sky Q Mini boxes into Wi-Fi hotspots.
    The remote's changed too. And dramatically. Adding touch controls and an integrated mic for voice searches, the remote is more attuned to navigate the reworked, picture-heavy interface. It's pebble shaped and somewhat similar to the Fire TV remote with its circular touch panel – albeit bigger and with more buttons.
    Sadly, the Mini boxes will come with a different, sans-touch remote, although the innovative peripheral will be able to snapped up separately - for an extra charge of course.
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/telev...-need-to-know/

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky Q

I've been watching it for a while. Looks good. Real good.

But...

They need to include ky jelly with it at that price...! They love shafting their customers.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Roughly £12/month for the priviledge.... to have the same shit in another room....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to Geko

bobo06 (29th January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It does look decent bit of kit don't think I will get it for to expensive.

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think I will just carry on watching everthing for pretty much free

Thanks to prezzy

wakadoo (31st January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

From what I can see, it looks a tad (!!!) overpriced for what it is. Wait a year and see where it ends up. I don't think it will be a success.

Thanks to djm2k1

4me2 (31st January 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wonder if it will be nobbled?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks to satzzz

Ashley (30th January 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's just a sky box with 12 tuners, 4k capability etc that can be streamed around the house to other compatible sky boxes. It will be a long while, if ever, it gets hacked.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Boring then lol

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

4K streams to iptv providers then????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    4K streams to iptv providers then????

Gonna buffer to feck...

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Far too much. There's no way they aren't charging extra for each mini box either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You will no doubt need fibre bb as well for 4k , so costs will add up if your still on copper .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I noticed a 4K NFL stream on Phoenix tonight. Wanna try it out with the new fire box.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i like the fact your paying £299 to lease the box.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

Trying to upgrade or see how much it will cost me to upgrade today but the sites crashing all over the place.
    I'm on a decent deal currently and it ends soon. I am hoping to try and negotiate a decent 18 month package with them..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Um ok so I got a sky box down stairs and a sky box upstairs with multiroom, they want to charge me an extra £12 a month and a £99 one of installation fee for exactly the same as ive got now !!!, oh ok it does 4k but not till next year, oh ok it records 4 programs at the same time, very rarely is there anything on that requires any more than 2 at a time, oh ok its a wifi repeater, unfortunately I don't live in a 22 bed mansion so my wifi router reaches the whole house anyway, ive got a smart tv so have all the ondemand apps,

yep just sky trying to make there multi multi million pound profits even bigger

been with sky since 1999, I phoned them up for an offer, they said no, 15 years of service and they cant do anything,

The pay TV broadcaster posted group revenue of £11.3 billion in the 12 months to the end of June 2015, a 5 per cent increase year on year.

Meanwhile Sky Media, Sky’s ad sales division, reported a 5 per cent increase in retained ad revenue to £510 million across the 12 months to 30 June 2015

so come on sky a bit of a discount for loyal customers wont harm you, youll just have to stoke the open fire with wood rather than $1000 bills
    Last edited by pickie; 9th February 2016 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Called $ky, as I do not have their Broadband I have to wait until they fulfill any orders for people who do.

End of Call.

Nice... I think when my subs are up I might go looking for alternatives.

Thanks
    Karma Level

until 4k channels are avail this box seems worthless, and by then they will be giving them away for free

Thanks to pickie

4me2 (10th February 2016)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks