Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Snap on socket snapped

I had some snap on sockets from ebay a couple of years ago. I broke one the other day. How do I go about invoking the snap on guarantee? I'm not in the trade I just do a few jobs on the car now and again.
    Also just out of interest how do people rate this brand? I thought they were meant to be the ultimate. However I'd never broken a tool in action before I was shocked when it cracked. Is it possible it could be fake as it was off ebay?

Attachment 30360

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snap on socket snapped

i would put money on that its a fake if from ebay

Thanks
    Karma Level

+1 on the above.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Trouble with the lifetime guarantee on tools is that if they do break like the socket in the picture, the company will argue that it was caused by abuse such as hammering a smaller socket onto a rounded nut to improve the grip or using a pipe on the end of the t-bar to gain more leverage.

These days I will always use an impact socket if a nut or bolt is so tight that I need to use a long bar or an impact wrench. (">

Thanks to BigBird

Over Carl (12th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most garages that use Snap On kit have the sales rep pop in once every so often to either come and collect payments for tools purchased on credit or to try and sell more tools.

The normal thing is to give him the broken one and get him to swap it. If the garage asking for replacement tool isn't on good terms with the Snap On guy, the lifetime guarantee will be void due to abuse as mentioned by BigBird. If the garage is on good terms with the rep he will probably swap it out for free.

If you hunt down your local Snap On rep yourself, you would probably get told warranty void due to abuse of tool.

This all assumes it is a genuine Snap On tool. If you were using it with something like a long breaker bar with a piece of scaffold extending it, I can believe a genuine Snap On socket easily broke. Otherwise they should hold up to general usage. +1 for BB's suggestion of using an impact socket (normally much thicker and black coloured) for heavy duty tasks.

I like the Halfords Professional range for these kind of hand tools. Not quite the same quality as Snap On, but not far off. Also have lifetime warranty - difference is rather than waiting for the Snap On rep to turn up, just go to closest Halfords and get tool swapped out. (The only gripe I had with them was with a Halfords Extreme 1/4 ratchet - I broke the ratchet teeth on two the first time I used them, when I went back I kept getting fobbed off being told that ratchet teeth weren't covered by warranty as they were considered a wear and tear item. Only when I went nuts pointing out two failed on first usage on light duty jobs did I finally get a third replacement that worked nice for a few years until I lost it).

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

BigBird (14th March 2016),  usman786 (28th March 2016)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not sure on the above.
    OK, they may argue the fact it might have been abused, but would they like that photograph circling social media giving the impression their tools are not in fact as endurable as they make out - for the case of a single socket that they mass produce?

An example is Corsair with their lifetime guarantee. They don't care who owns it or for how long. Things get replaced - they are impeccable.
    Maybe Snap On may go the same way, depends on the dude on the end of the phone I suppose.

Call Snap-On direct, explain you were trying to get a troublesome nut loose using the very best tool on the market and unfortunately, it's snapped due to the force used.

I reckon they'll give you a replacement for free.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i use snap-on stuff daily (mostly mac tools now as our mac rep is more reliable) ive had sockets break after years of abuse, the rep just swaps them over for a new one.

if you know anyone in the motor trade that has a rep visit them, just ask them to get it changed for you

Thanks
    Karma Level

As per over Carl's comments, I have had good experience with Halfords Professional. They have swapped a couple of sockets over without question or proof of purchase
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Snap on stuff ain't what it used to be, Halfords professional is about on a par with them now.

this was sent from tapatalk if it makes no sense...
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    Snap on stuff ain't what it used to be, Halfords professional is about on a par with them now.
    IMHO Snap On are still superior but the differences are subtle. E.g. more likely to get a 6 point instead if a 12 point socket which is less likely to round nuts. Also for example their combination spanners - you probably often see them stuck up on screws on a wall. If you move the ends hanging down you will notice they stick together as they are very slightly magnetic - enough to help avoid dropping a nut but not even enough to actually notice unless you look hard. Also if you check the open mouth end they have tiny serrated teeth to help you get a better grip.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My box isn't as good as my original one from 25 years ago, new one has thinner steels and the imbossed stamp is now just a sticker.
    But still some of the best stuff you can get.
    Guaranteed for life unless like me you keep screwdriver in rule pocket in overalls and it falls out when you get in somebodys car...
    You think I'd have learnt by now.

Ted

this was sent from tapatalk if it makes no sense...
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks to BIG-TED

Over Carl (16th March 2016)