Sony Is Working On A ‘PlayStation 4.5’

Thread: Sony Is Working On A ‘PlayStation 4.5’

piggzy said:

Default Re: Sony Is Working On A ‘PlayStation 4.5’

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    A true 4k console would be damn expensive though surely?
    Yes and no. Console developers almost always sell consoles at a big loss .
    Takes them a long time to make the money from them.

plug1 said:

The exception being nintendo , who make profit on all there hardware , maybe they will adopt the same policy as sony ect
    with ther next gen .

Gunnzie said:

I'm sure I read that neither Sony or Microsoft were making a loss on consoles this gen. It would be surprising for them to backtrack on that decision.

crazyal said:

'Upscaling' is the key word here.

It won't play native 4K games (as they won't exist), all it will do is upscale existing 1080p games to 4K. You need to spend some serious wedge on a PC that can do 4K gaming at 60fps with all the bells and whistles turned on.

The same would be true for the PS4K.

They simply couldn't build it with the right specs because the losses would be enormous, far more than previous loss-inducing models before it.

Shoving around that many pixels at 3840 x 2160 (4 x 1080p) with all the effects at 60fps will not be happening any time soon.

I'm sure the new console will have a beefier CPU and GPU but in no way will it have anything anywhere near a Titan (or 2) in there.

Gunnzie said:

I doubt even the ps5 will offer 4k gaming other than the odd simple title. It would be like the ps3 and how only the odd simple title did 1080p.

Although the ps4.5 is perhaps an attempt to delay the ps5 to a time when a 4k gaming console is plausible.

I totally agree though. Building a 4k gaming console now would mean astronomical losses per console which even Microsoft's finances couldn't cope with let alone Sony.

Jack-daniels said:

It's going to be called the NEO!!! NEO4 sounds like a good name!

I wonder if Rap can sue them?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by Jack-daniels; 28th April 2016 at 06:30 PM.

EvilBoB said:

So basically this is just a way of getting Netflix in 4K on the consoles isn't it?

Interestingly the hardware should be fine as it is (for 4K video at least). I know the ports are firmware upgradable on the XBox One so the HDMI will support HDMI2.0. HDMI1.4 should be able to handle 4k at 30fps however my TV demands HDMI2.0 so I can't use my TVs native upscaler Shame really.

This sounds to me like the old N64 "upgrade". Very few games will take advantage of the hardware with the current installed userbase as it would require a lot more man hours to make sure the game works well on both platforms.

They just want to be able to launch another PS4 for the price that it originally launched at for people who want to say "hey - my PS4.5 is 4k". KAA-CHINGGGG!

Happy to be proven wrong but I think this is a half arsed attempt at getting a certification logo on their hardware before anyone else rather than something that will improve the gaming.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

piggzy said:

Personally think this is a bad move on Sony's part. I just see them pissing off a lot of loyal customers.

Granted we don't know full details yet so they may well have some dynamite release info that drops jaws... who knows.
    Not long till we find out.

akimba said:

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    So basically this is just a way of getting Netflix in 4K on the consoles isn't it?

Interestingly the hardware should be fine as it is (for 4K video at least). I know the ports are firmware upgradable on the XBox One so the HDMI will support HDMI2.0. HDMI1.4 should be able to handle 4k at 30fps however my TV demands HDMI2.0 so I can't use my TVs native upscaler Shame really.

This sounds to me like the old N64 "upgrade". Very few games will take advantage of the hardware with the current installed userbase as it would require a lot more man hours to make sure the game works well on both platforms.

They just want to be able to launch another PS4 for the price that it originally launched at for people who want to say "hey - my PS4.5 is 4k". KAA-CHINGGGG!

Happy to be proven wrong but I think this is a half arsed attempt at getting a certification logo on their hardware before anyone else rather than something that will improve the gaming.
    Yeah sound more like Sony going down the Apple route and producing a PS4S like The iPhone and the S version same shit just slightly better.

I would be pist off if I bought a PS4 and now have to buy a PS4S :-(

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Yeah sound more like Sony going down the Apple route and producing a PS4S like The iPhone and the S version same shit just slightly better.

I would be pist off if I bought a PS4 and now have to buy a PS4S :-(

If that is the plan then they need to shave £100 off the price.

{{909}} said:

From Eurogamer:

How PlayStation Neo and the original PS4 will co-exist

Games, hardware, PSN and more - how Sony plans for two PlayStations to live side-by-side.
  12. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  13. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  14. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

15. By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Published 20/04/2016
    In the wake of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], there are still plenty of questions that need answering, and we're intent on bringing you everything we can about the new hardware and especially what it means for owners of the existing PS4.
    In this article, we'll be drawing on the rules of engagement that Sony has supplied to PlayStation 4 developers. While these guidelines may change, the picture painted is clear and unambiguous. As the platform holder says explicitly, PS4 and Neo 'co-exist in the marketplace' - one is simply a more technologically capable version of the other, but there are some key points here amongst the wealth of information we'd really like to highlight:
    Dual Shock 4 remains the primary controller: Sony has no plans to introduce a new joypad for the Neo hardware. The Dual Shock 4 remains unchanged and Sony has actually mandated that all existing peripherals should be supported with no segregation between PS4 and Neo.
    1080p is the mandatory minimum display resolution: Sony is keen to push developers on to higher resolutions and super-sampling down to full HD is an option, but 1080p is the lowest pixel-count allowed.
    No online segregation between consoles: If a PlayStation title supports online features, they must be deployed equally on both systems. Developers cannot have Neo-only servers. We believe this may actually introduce gameplay balance issues if, say, the Neo version hits 60fps while the PS4 version is capped at 30fps.
    Save data systems are cross-platform: The PlayStation operating system is constant between both PS4 and Neo. This means that all data (save games, back-ups etc) are interchangeable between both systems by default. However, it seems that Sony is leaving it up to developers to ensure that Neo and PS4 save-swapping actually works.
    Forward compatibility patches are for old games only: Sony really wants Neo support on all games from October onwards. While older titles can have Neo features patched in, the platform holder will not allow new titles to add Neo features at a later date.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]In many respects, Sony is being highly conservative about what is - and isn't - allowed when developing for the new PlayStation hardware. Quite clearly, accommodating and not alienating the existing user-base is the primary concern here. There's also the concept of attempting to strengthen the existing ecosystem as opposed to allowing fragmentation. This extends to guidelines on exactly how Neo-exclusive features are communicated on the PlayStation Store. Sony is happy for developers to list them, but explicitly states that developers are under no obligation to up-sell Neo to original PS4 owners.
    So in terms of the technical underpinnings, Sony appears to have all the bases covered. The platform holder is creating a high-end 'Elite' version of the console, but at the same time ensuring that firm boundaries are in place for ensuring that the vast, existing PS4 userbase is not left behind. But in doing so, the question is to what extent developers may lack standards drop on older hardware - and by extension, does the need to accommodate the existing PS4 mean that developers will be limited in scope in utilising the much more powerful Neo hardware?
    And of course, there's the elephant in the room - to what extent is 4K display technology actually meaningful to gamers right now or even in the medium term future? Will Neo development instead concentrate on a richer 1080p experience? We'll be covering that topic, and the options open to developers there in an upcoming piece.

Last edited by {{909}}; 1st May 2016 at 08:54 AM.

EvilBoB said:

Was considering getting a PS4 for Uncharted... Think I'll hold out now.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Scottio200 said:

What we first have to remember is that these are leaks, nothing has been confirmed or denied by Sony. However the information is so precise it must be true.

Sony at the moment are winning this generations console race, and winning big. 40million consoles sold world wide and still going strong with a major exclusive title getting top marks across the board with reviewers. The real question is why are they doing it now?

I can only imagine that with the Nintendo NX supposed to have great specs compared to XBONE and PS4, and Microsoft supposedly building a more powerful XBONE, Sony simply have no choice in doing this if they want to keep up. Its just that their plans have been leaked.

Now there is no way these consoles will play games at 4K the same way current consoles play games at 1080p, not unless these consoles are going to be pricey. I think the 4K thing is going to be for media, and if Sony really want to put a dent in not only the games market, but the digital video market at the same time they will include a UHD Blu Ray drive for playback of UHD Blu Ray movies. Think about it, when the PS3 came out not only was it the cheapest, but it was the best Blu Ray player on the market for years. Lots of people own PS3's simply for the Blu Ray player and couldn't give a toss about the gaming side of things. If Sony release a PS4.5 or Neo or whatever they want to call it, and include a UHD Blu Ray player with a entry price of £400 or less they would do the same for UHD Blu Ray as they did for Blu Ray with the PS3. The more I look into this side of things, the more it could be something to watch....

Do a google search for Sony UHD Blu Ray Player and you will find there isn't one, nothing announced other than its something Sony are looking into and want to be part of, we have had CES this year with nothing from Sony on this front. Samsung and Panasonic both have one available to buy right now, prices are between £499 and £699 for those players.

What I have said is just my opinion, but I hope someone at Sony has thought the same thing...

Scottio

hilljd00 said:

I've just purchased - PS4 + Uncharted 4 + Doom for £269.99
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]- 25% Disccount Available For DF Members. VIP's Receive 30% Off; PM for info - Authorised by Admin

Ganty said:

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    I've just purchased - PS4 + Uncharted 4 + Doom for £269.99
    Where?!

hilljd00 said:

Argos [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] at the bottom - Topcashback is 1%

I've done local collection to ensure I grab the model C version

Order went through immediately and cashback was confirmed within the hour
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]- 25% Disccount Available For DF Members. VIP's Receive 30% Off; PM for info - Authorised by Admin

hilljd00 said:

Just finished setting it up - it is the model C with Doom and UC4