Close

Thread: V Slicer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default V Slicer

I know these have been knocking around for years, so does anyone have one?

Loads of makes and QVC style shit on Amazon, so want a decent one.

Because I'm on Slimming World plan I basically spend and inordinate amount of time cutting my fruit and veg etc and think this would really save me some time over the course of a week/month etc.

Any brand recommendations?

I use a potato chipper now, and throw them in an actifry, fucking fantastic and easy!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: V Slicer

I had one years ago, great way to lose a finger. The things that hold the vegetables are a piece of shit so you will need to do it without eventually. If you're doing absolutely loads of vegetables, like for a restaurant then a stainless steel mandolin would probably be quite useful. Otherwise it's the kind of thing that will go to the back of your cupboard. Much like your chipper and actifry I expect.

Thanks to Mule

BigBrand (19th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read you were slimming, but then I read actifry. Cant you just eat the vegetables without the added free radicals?

Thanks to Geko

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use my cheapo eBay vee slicer for slicing spuds, carrots and onions for hotpot, dauphinoise, boulongere ... style stuff, quite regularly.

Stainless steel are best but the cheapos with a decent holder/guard thingy are just as good for occasional use, so long as it's got the attachments and adjustability you're actually gonna use ime.

Never use it without protection tho
    If you break or lose the guard thingy, you can wrap whatever you're slicing in a teatowel or cloth to get a grip and some protection if you slip but for the money I paid for mine I'd just buy another to be safe tbh

Thanks to Hippie on hill

Thanks
    Karma Level

As Mule said, the veg holder thingy is utter shit. Say goodbye to your finger tips.

Thanks to piggzy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I had one years ago, great way to lose a finger. The things that hold the vegetables are a piece of shit so you will need to do it without eventually. If you're doing absolutely loads of vegetables, like for a restaurant then a stainless steel mandolin would probably be quite useful. Otherwise it's the kind of thing that will go to the back of your cupboard. Much like your chipper and actifry I expect.
    Hmm, that's a shame they're not that much use! The idea behind them is pretty decent.

I tend to have all this out on the side, so use the chipper once or twice a week, that's not necessarily about time saving, more consistency over chip size so they cook much more evenly, been using tyhat and the Actifry fro 3-4 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I read you were slimming, but then I read actifry. Cant you just eat the vegetables without the added free radicals?
    I do what ever I want to, most of the time it's all steamed, no veg goes in the fucking acti fry! That's just for Chips & Chicken pieces etc! Fucking brilliant bit of kit. Use the Bertolli Oil Spray instead of the TBSP measurement, much healthier and hassle free!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie on hill View Post
    I use my cheapo eBay vee slicer for slicing spuds, carrots and onions for hotpot, dauphinoise, boulongere ... style stuff, quite regularly.

Stainless steel are best but the cheapos with a decent holder/guard thingy are just as good for occasional use, so long as it's got the attachments and adjustability you're actually gonna use ime.

Never use it without protection tho
    If you break or lose the guard thingy, you can wrap whatever you're slicing in a teatowel or cloth to get a grip and some protection if you slip but for the money I paid for mine I'd just buy another to be safe tbh
    The thought of a slice of my index finger with the peppers is a bit daunting! Ha! I've got some super sharp[ knives, but I'm well in control with those, but the thought of a mandolin is intriguing me.

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

you could always buy an electric one.
    The Andrew James one on amazon has great reviews.

Thanks to I Black Belt

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As a chef I swear by this

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Vogue-Japan...Detail.raction

I just can't watch anyone else using them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Thanks given to jaygo

BigBrand (19th March 2016),  piggzy (19th March 2016)