Close

View Poll Results: Bring Back Capital Punishment?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 50.00%
  • No

26 46.43%
  • Not Sure

2 3.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bring Back Capital Punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Something I've noticed with this poll, that I remember happening the last time I asked as well, is that it started off with a large proportion voting 'No', then as time went by 'Yes' took over. It gives me the impression that people that use the forum most frequently are more likely to vote 'no'. Something that may prove evident by this poll not being anonymous.
    Also notice very few are willing to quantify a YES vote, interested more in people's views on why they vote yes, what safeguards they would include and if they would reserve it for only multiple murders, child murders etc as it's not a vote on something that has a chance of happening.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having between 6 and 12 unqualified jurors making a decision and in many cases only needing a slight majority for a conviction there is no such thing as 100%.

This is before the afore mentioned corruption which is clearly rife.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The arguments that make the most sense to me for why it should never be reinstated in Europe are:

• It most likely costs more to put a person to death than keep them rotting in a cell (endless appeals, decades on death row)
    • Police and prosecutor corruption, evidence tampering, framing people using the 'supposed' infallibility of DNA evidence etc..
    • Knowing that they will be put to death could make killers even more ruthless (take out cops, more innocent civilians fleeing botched bank raid)
    • Juries can be swung by more authoritative jurors
    • Racial and socio-economic biases, its almost impossible to kill a rich man (e.g. OJ Simpson)
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (2nd April 2016),  piggzy (29th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    The arguments that make the most sense to me for why it should never be reinstated in Europe are:

• It most likely costs more to put a person to death than keep them rotting in a cell (endless appeals, decades on death row)
    • Police and prosecutor corruption, evidence tampering, framing people using the 'supposed' infallibility of DNA evidence etc..
    • Knowing that they will be put to death could make killers even more ruthless (take out cops, more innocent civilians fleeing botched bank raid)
    • Juries can be swung by more authoritative jurors
    • Racial and socio-economic biases, its almost impossible to kill a rich man (e.g. OJ Simpson)
    Some good points. You make a good one with the cost factor. Absolutely right and it never crossed my mind. Most on death row spend more than the length of life imprisonment on death row before actual execut1on.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bring back the Death Penalty in certain conditions like for the killers of Lee Rigby in my book they are pure evil

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-8978725.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Bring back the Death Penalty in certain conditions like for the killers of Lee Rigby in my book they are pure evil

I would argue that child killers are far more evil, it never ends mate. All murderers are scum bags, we need to elevate ourselves above them and be better. Its easy to say, but we know from all the evidence that capital punishment doesn't solve anything apart from satisfying our sense of revenge.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Mickey (30th March 2016),  Mule (30th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I would argue that child killers are far more evil, it never ends mate.
    Part of the problem is the concept of 'good and evil'. The word 'evil' is a gift Religion gave us so we could wash our hands of any sense of guilt when a member of our society does something we deem wrong. If we completely remove that concept and accept that our own behaviour, no matter how small or distant, can affect the wider society in which we live, then we can actually start to address the real causes of criminality.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

Mule (30th March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Many innocent people would be executed, it has been proven time and time again in every case in that an innocent person has been executed or someone has been found to be innocent after being sentenced to death one, some or all of the following have come to light, that police and prosecutors have withheld evidence casting doubt on guilt, ignored pro-defence witnesses who have come forward, manipulated evidence, put 'experts' on the stand to make claims that turn out to be spurious, not abided by disclosure legislation robbing the defence of vital evidence, witnesses have lied, police have lied, evidence has been planted.
    Not quite the same and I can't find the study now that I was reading recently but it is amazing how many prosecutors love DNA evidence but will argue desperately against it if it exonerates a previously convicted prisoner.

The case of Juan Riviera is a classic example, the prosecutor even going so far as to claim that the DNA sample was the result of earlier consensual sex with an unidentified male before Riviera raped and killed the victim, she was 11.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neilb View Post
    Not quite the same and I can't find the study now that I was reading recently but it is amazing how many prosecutors love DNA evidence but will argue desperately against it if it exonerates a previously convicted prisoner.

The case of Juan Riviera is a classic example, the prosecutor even going so far as to claim that the DNA sample was the result of earlier consensual sex with an unidentified male before Riviera raped and killed the victim, she was 11.
    I saw a very interesting program on how unreliable DNA can be a couple of years ago showing some cases that DNA pointed to people who couldn't possibly have committed the crime, one case was a guy in a wheelchair with multiple sclerosis accused of climbing through a second floor window and robbing a flat, the CPS never proceeded.

Guy on there was saying with a finger print it puts you at the scene at some point or in contact with an item but said if you shake hands with someone in the morning they carry your DNA round with them all day depositing it in locations they visit, he went into more detail but I am sure you get the gist.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

GTI (31st March 2016),  neilb (31st March 2016)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I vote yes if it can be proved 100% but I don't trust the Police, so it's a no from me.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

As above, my confidence in the police is very, very low. As the ones to bring people to the 'law' (which can be manipulated to suit any situation if u pay enough moneh) is what puts me off the situation. If it was a case of 'do the crime and the time' then fine, kill the peodos, rapists and other sickos. Alas what will happen will be it will become an excuse to to kill people that are either genuinely ill or completely innocent.

A decision that any plod, or local court house will never be in an intellectual enough state to justify. Right or wrong.

The police of the U.K. are too inept to cope with many advances in criminal activity these days despite all the labour saving devices they are given like toys for children...

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Bald Bouncer (1st April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not gonna name names.... But... When certain people post I think to myself 'that fella is a proper prick'. Coincidently, they have opposite views to me on this subject.

I wonder if they feel the same?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also.... Worth considering that Ian Huntley has tried to kill himself multiple times. He's constantly on suicide watch. If he committed the crimes (and I assume he did) then I'd be far happier knowing how miserable he is and that he is being forced to live a miserable existence, rather than allowing him the relief of death. Happy to use my tax money towards 24hr surveillance.

2 Thanks given to Geko

Ashley (2nd April 2016),  piggzy (2nd April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Also.... Worth considering that Ian Huntley has tried to kill himself multiple times. He's constantly on suicide watch. If he committed the crimes (and I assume he did) then I'd be far happier knowing how miserable he is and that he is being forced to live a miserable existence, rather than allowing him the relief of death. Happy to use my tax money towards 24hr surveillance.
    I'm the opposite, why should we the tax payer have to fund anything for this vile man? I want the cnut to suffer for what he did but at the end of the day he is still getting a comfortable bed and three square meals a day. I would rather he was put out of our misery and the money that would have been spent on him instead put towards hospitals, schools etc.

Good luck with that I reckon!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy_1976 View Post
    I'm the opposite, why should we the tax payer have to fund anything for this vile man? I want the cnut to suffer for what he did but at the end of the day he is still getting a comfortable bed and three square meals a day. I would rather he was put out of our misery and the money that would have been spent on him instead put towards hospitals, schools etc.

Good luck with that I reckon!
    execut1on costs more than imprisonment. Seems counter intuitive but it's true.

EDIT:Can't say exec'ution how fucking lame.

Thanks to Mule

piggzy (3rd April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    execut1on costs more than imprisonment. Seems counter intuitive but it's true.

EDIT:Can't say exec'ution how fucking lame.
    Only because they are kept on death row for so long. What is the point of keeping them alive for so long if you have sentenced them to death?

Trial, appeal and then curtains if it doesn't go well.

Some git is making money out of it somewhere, that's all I know.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

I think there would be a quickly-formed queue to offer their execut1onal services for those pair of cnuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Now the poll has closed, it's changed significantly from a decade ago when 35% were against and 61% for. I don't know how this reflects to society as a whole but I like to think we're becoming a more tolerant society. See you in 10 years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12