Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Weird Strange HDD Problem

I've got a Green WD 2TB that is formatted to NTFS. After about 1 day of use (approx), for no reason whatsoever, it changes to RAW, yet all the files are unusable. Windows recognises it as NTFS still in Windows Explorer, but CHKDSK says it can't check it because its RAW.

After a reboot all is fine again for another day.

I've checked the disk after a clean reboot and checked the drive with HDD Sentinel that explains its "PERFECT".

Clearly a file system problem and I'm considering reformatting it to FAT32 to see if the problem persists.

Anyone every come across anything like this and did you solve it?
    Only happens with one of my drives. The others are fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strange HDD Problem

Is this with Windows 10 by any chance? I think I had something similar happen to my C: drive a couple of weeks ago - computer would start booting then keep crashing. Loaded win 10 on another drive and stuck the old drive back in. I'm pretty sure that also came up as raw, then after a reboot it did a chkdsk which let me access all the files, but I still can't boot up from that drive.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It is indeed Windows 10, but my C: is fine. It's an SSD.

This drive is just a storage drive. It does get used a lot, but I can't understand how it forgets it's file system.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does the computer have any stability problems?

I haven't sussed out wtf is going on with my desktop, but it has never been quite right since I upgraded to 10, then when I stuck in a GFX card that isn't really compatible with 10 things definitely took a turn for the worse, and I have a feeling a recent update is making the issue even further worse.

My gut suspicion is that it crashes every so often due to incompatibility issues, and maybe 10 is more likely to cock up the file system in the event of a crash.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Must be the time of year for disk problems. The OS drive of one of my servers has died, I'm too cheap to have 2 SSDs in raid so it's rebuild time. My cousins microserver OS drive died yesterday too.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a laptop in yesterday which had been upgraded to Win10, apparently worked ok for 2 days then when turning on it would show the POST splash then turn off and POST again in a loop. Booted fine to other media. SSD inside which was recognised in the boot menu. Connected it to my PC and it was read fine so recovered all data, booted the laptop to Win 10 install cd and installed a fresh OS onto the SSD no problem and now it turns on fine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno why I didn't think of an laptop I did for someone recently - did a fresh load of Win 10 on it a few weeks ago and it just sat around for a while. Picked it up again a couple of weeks ago planning to finish it off but it was stuck in a boot loop - hdd/cpu/ram all tested fine. I remember the conspiracy lover in me was wondering if MS pushed out an update that means if you haven't got an i3/i5/i7, your computer will become an unreliable pos (I bet MS has pissed off a lot of OEM's with the free Win 10 upgrade meaning people aren't buying as many PC's, I wouldn't put it past them to come out with something like that to keep the big OEM's happy)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I found that I had an entire office of machines on Win 7, which had all been running happily for months/years, started to play up around the same time. They would freeze and reboot with no minidumps, the only thing they had in common was the OS and updates, lo and behold upgrading to Windows 10 and they were all stable... That made me a bit suspicious as M$ have been pretty forceful with the upgrade.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (31st March 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Strange HDD Problem

Don't have any constructive to add, only a similar story. 2 days after upgrading from W7 to W10 my Revo's HDD started acting very strange. For a week it would boot all be it very slowly (10 mins plus). Then it started booting after Windows scanned and 'fixed' the drive. Lastly it now (haven't got around to buying replacement drive) sits for an hour before reporting the drive can't be repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to moonrat

Over Carl (31st March 2016)